PDA

View Full Version : 'Bit Depth Does Not Match'

swobee
01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I just received my second CompuCarve machine after the cut motor on the original unit stopped engaging. This happened within four weeks of purchasing it through SEARS, where I opted for the 5 year warranty (appears so far to be a prudent choice) so I exchanged the entire machine through my local store after trying to deal with their support department over the phone to no avail. The replacement machine had problems right out of the box, which I was able to diagnose as a bad compression sensor switch on the front roller and get replaced after more frustrating delay. Complaints aside, I am now getting a message stating 'Bit Depth Does Not Match' when I try to use any of the bits from my 11-piece accessory bit set. The machine just repeats the homing process over and over to no avail. It does not seem to matter which bit I have installed. The error first appeared while carving a project that entailed a design around the border constructed with dingbats and carved in centerline text with the 60 degree V-bit. I then tried to edge rout a board (the same board after the machine ejected it during carving and ruined the project in hour 7 of 7.5 total carving hours) through the onboard menu using a 1/2" roundover bit to the same effect. Is this a calibration issue or possibly something larger? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Additionally, I am hoping the board ejecting when nearly done carving was an isolated incident.

dbfletcher
01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Are you using the qc? That message indicates the the mesurment it took at the beginning of the project (when u cycled thru the bits inthe project) does not match the measurement it takes right before it starts to use the bit. I would watch the bit flag cosely to make sure it is extending all the way out durring both measurments. Also try to note how many times it touches down on the bit flag. two is normal... three indicates it had a problem with one of the first two. With the qc this also serves as a warning message that the bit may not be seated fully in to the qc. Make sure the locking collar is fully engaged each time you insert a bit.

If you are using the rock with out collars, that just means you didnt insert the bit the exact same way you did during the first measurement. Typically you are fine to just select continue and be ok in that case.

Hope that helps,

Dug Fletcher

AskBud
01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Listen to the machine. If it is telling you that the bit depth does not match, and you have a QC, you may not have the bit seated properly in the chuck.

Last week i got the message and decided to ignore the warning, as I knew it was seated properly! Needless to say and I saw it touch the plate, but the machine was correct. The truck went down, and the bit engaged the wood and was pulled right out of the chuck. No damage to the chuck or machine, but the bit shot around the inside like a bullet!

For safety sake, remove the bit, check the screws, and place it in the chuck again.
AskBud

swobee
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Thank you each for your replies. An improperly seated bit was my first suspicion; however, I never had a problem like this with my first machine and exchanged bits many times without issue just as I do with the replacement machine. That led me to suspect the chuck itself, which to my fairly limited knowledge is a QC as I have not upgraded it. I have read some posts here where members accuse the QC of causing problems. The issue I have with this diagnosis is it only becomes an issue with bits from my accessory set, not the 1/16" carving or 1/8" cutting bits. one thing I did notice is that it seems to fully touch the bit flag on the right side of the machine only once during homing, on the first attempt. On the second measure the bit descends only half way to the plate, if that. The very consistency of the error, coupled with the fact that it happens only with the accessory bits leads me to suspect a calibration or sofware error. The fact that the board ejected erroneously during carving on the machine's first run seems also to be too closley related to such an issue to be coincidental. Thoughts?

dbfletcher
01-29-2010, 11:50 PM
As far as I know, the bit MUST always touch the bit plate at least twice. Less than that I have always just seen it go back and ask for you to insert the same bit. I would try and figure out why it isnt descending all the way on the second attempt. I'm sure Bud will have more info on things to look for. I would make sure the z-rails are clean and free from defects as well as the belt that drives the z. I know i've seen posts about cleaning the "no mans land" but I dont have the specificis of how that is accomplished.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
01-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Thank you each for your replies. An improperly seated bit was my first suspicion; however, I never had a problem like this with my first machine and exchanged bits many times without issue just as I do with the replacement machine. That led me to suspect the chuck itself, which to my fairly limited knowledge is a QC as I have not upgraded it. I have read some posts here where members accuse the QC of causing problems. The issue I have with this diagnosis is it only becomes an issue with bits from my accessory set, not the 1/16" carving or 1/8" cutting bits. one thing I did notice is that it seems to fully touch the bit flag on the right side of the machine only once during homing, on the first attempt. On the second measure the bit descends only half way to the plate, if that. The very consistency of the error, coupled with the fact that it happens only with the accessory bits leads me to suspect a calibration or sofware error. The fact that the board ejected erroneously during carving on the machine's first run seems also to be too closley related to such an issue to be coincidental. Thoughts?
Just a warning/observation.
The 1/2 inch shank bits do not tighten, in the adaptor, by the screws.
The collet turns with a wrench, and some of mine were loose when the kit arrived.
AskBud

liquidguitars
01-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Sounds like your using the QC, if so you should not receive this error unless the QC or spindle, the truck or bit is loose.

swobee
01-30-2010, 07:44 AM
As far as I know, the bit MUST always touch the bit plate at least twice. Less than that I have always just seen it go back and ask for you to insert the same bit....

This is exactly what it does. The machine will cycle through the homing process, then ask me to insert the bit I just did before cycling through again. I should have some time tonight/tomorrow to troubleshoot further, and will inspect the Z-axis rails closely at that time. What I'm having trouble getting over is the fact that I did an entire carving utilizing the 1/16" carving bit with no issues and only encountered problems when I got to phases employing my accessory bits. The accessory bits required have all been used by me on projects with the first machine so I don't think they are the issue, but I will be sure to check the collets as well. STUMPED.

swobee
01-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Sounds like your using the QC, if so you should not receive this error unless the QC or spindle, the truck or bit is loose.

Is there a specific process for evaluating these areas? Reasoning leads me back to the fact that the machine executed a complex carving with no loss of detail or resolution, and only gave me this error when installing the accessory bits. If anything was loose in this area would my carving not have suffered a loss of quality?

dbfletcher
01-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Well... you keep saying that with the shorter bits the machine is not able to touch down on the bit plate on the second "touch" in the setup phase. My guess is for some reason the machine is detecting some resistance on the second check before it hits the bit plate... so the motor current spikes and the machine thinks it hit the plate at two very different measurements. Obviously the carving an cut bits are quite a bit longer than most of the accessory bits so the z doesnt travel as far when checking them on the bit plate. The machine not being able to successfully touch down twice with the shorter bits is the clue.

Hope that helps,

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
look at the z truck bearings 2.. the short bits makes the truck drop down lower then the carving bit lets say around a 1/2", if your truck bearings are frozen or dirty it will stick.

LG

swobee
01-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope to dig into the problem tomorrow further with our discussion in mind and will be back with the results.

mtylerfl
02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope to dig into the problem tomorrow further with our discussion in mind and will be back with the results.

Hello,

Just to add to what has been suggested you check already...

There is only one certain way to make sure your bits are seated properly in the Quick Chuck. Check the alignment marks by using a mirror and a flashlight to view the underside of the QC.

Always verify that the red indicator marks are touching after installing any bit, and during a project run when swapping bits. Clean the the QC thoroughly between bit swaps and after every project (I use a stiff toothbrush and sometimes a wooden toothpick for the occasional stubborn fine powder in crevices - only takes a few seconds to a ½ minute to do). I hope the issue you are having is that simple to correct. In any case, an improperly seated bit is a recipe for problems, so it is very important to check those red marks every time you install a bit.

Here's a couple photos...one showing the red marks offset before a bit install...the other how the red marks should look after a bit is fully seated in the chuck. The red marks do not have to align exactly, but they do need to be "touching" and without any gap between them.

liquidguitars
02-03-2010, 10:43 AM
attempt. On the second measure the bit descends only half way to the plate, if that. The very consistency of the error, coupled with the fact that it happens only with the accessory bits leads me to suspect a calibration or sofware error

This would have little to due with the QC MT, more like what dbfletcher points out dirty bearings and z rails or a loose pully.

Every time i see that QC it a reminder of all the $$$, time and wood wasted :mad:. Get a Rock..

atauer
02-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually, MT could be right LG.

I was running a project recently, using the QC, and got the error message. I checked all the normal stuff and everything was cool. Rechecked the insertion of the bit, and found that it was not in all the way.

After reseating the bit, the message disappeared.

dbfletcher
02-03-2010, 11:36 AM

I was running a project recently, using the QC, and got the error message. I checked all the normal stuff and everything was cool. Rechecked the insertion of the bit, and found that it was not in all the way.

Alex,

If you carefully read the quoted section in LG's post he was referring to the OP comment that the bit doesnt extend all the way down to the bit plate on the second measurement. Are you really saying that an improperly seated QC would cause the z-truck to stop half way down? That seems hard for me to beleive, but if you really mean that I will take you at your word since I am sure you know a lot more about the inner workings than I do. I CAN see it causing the bit depth match error... just not the z-truck not fully reaching the bit plate.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
02-03-2010, 11:41 AM

Alex,
Not a chance.. He talking about the truck not descending to the flag all the way, not a simple check bit error from a defective/loose QC, you could have a golf ball attached to the spindle and the same thing would happen. ;)

LG

atauer
02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Alex,

If you carefully read the quoted section in LG's post he was referring to the OP comment that the bit doesnt extend all the way down to the bit plate on the second measurement. Are you really saying that an improperly seated QC would cause the z-truck to stop half way down? That seems hard for me to beleive, but if you really mean that I will take you at your word since I am sure you know a lot more about the inner workings than I do. I CAN see it causing the bit depth match error... just not the z-truck not fully reaching the bit plate.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Actually Doug, I had misread that. If the Z-truck is not going down all the way, then there is either a bearing that is stuck, debris is caught in the belt of the z-drive, or the flexshaft is catching on the head cover.

Simple misread on my part.

liquidguitars
02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Going off the title you could be be close.. :)

Alex, You guys testing anything QC related you can mention?

LG

mtylerfl
02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Actually Doug, I had misread that. If the Z-truck is not going down all the way, then there is either a bearing that is stuck, debris is caught in the belt of the z-drive, or the flexshaft is catching on the head cover.

I just saw the continuing thread messages and must admit I didn't catch the full description of the problem either. Sorry about that - BUT, make dad-blame sure you've got your bits fully seated anyway! ;)

I guess I'm going to have to start calling Alex "Guido, my Bodyguard"! :-D

liquidguitars
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I just saw the continuing thread messages and must admit I didn't catch the full description of the problem either. Sorry about that - BUT, make dad-blame sure you've got your bits fully seated anyway! ;)

I guess I'm going to have to start calling Alex "Guido, my Bodyguard"! :-D

Yea! I think you just have a way with people.. MT my guess you have a lot of supporters on anything you did/do in the bis world..

LG

atauer
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Sorry LG. Haven't had much time out in the shop, so who knows what is happening out there...;)

Got to run a test this morning on a project that another user is having problems with. First time in the shop around a machine since early December. I must admit, I was a little rusty with the machine functions...

Guess I need to spend more time in the shop!

swobee
02-05-2010, 08:16 AM
It's been a very busy week but I did have enough time to get out to the machine and do a little troubleshooting. I started with a thorough visual inspection of the chuck and rails, and right away noticed the red alignment marks on the QC appeared misaligned. By working the collar up and down I soon freed a considerable amount of debris and noticed the collar began descending much further down into the lock position and the marks once again aligned. A quick run-up confirmed the bits now descend to the flag on both calibration attempts and the machine is ready to carve. I have not yet run a project so cannot confirm with certainty all my problems are solved, but progress has been made. I don't know why such a problem would cause the bit to descend to the flag only on the first attempt and not on the second, but the condition disappeared after cleaning the chuck. Sorry to bother everyone with such an elementary problem. I'm still learning. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

mtylerfl
02-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Hello,

Perhaps if the bit wasn't seated all the way, the first 'touch' on the plate altered the bit position ('cause it was a little loose), so when the second 'touch' was attempted, it was pushed up into the QC a little farther and couldn't reach the plate. I don't know, that's kind of a stretch, but I am anxious to hear how you make out on your next carving project. Hopefully, it was just a bit seating issue all along.

By the way, you are certainly not 'bothering' anyone. We are all eager to help you enjoy your machine to the fullest! Don't be shy about asking for help.

wnsmith1
01-07-2018, 12:25 PM
I am working on autumn reath project it carved al right but bit dose not go theought the board to cut it out. Can some one help me
wayne

fwharris
01-07-2018, 04:09 PM
I am working on autumn reath project it carved al right but bit dose not go theought the board to cut it out. Can some one help me
wayne

Verify that the board thickness is the same for the board you are using and the board in the design.