PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise and to vent

PlateCarver
01-28-2010, 09:35 PM
I purchased my carveright a while ago but seem to of had quite a few problems along the way and I must say this forum has been invaluable an a big help. I only have 88 hours on the machine which have been primarily making signs and experimenting with graphics... a great machine with a lot of capabilities. I also have the extra router bits and the centerline add on which is great.

Now the problem.. remember sometime back when due to a version change the feed speed was off and it broke bits... well I broke 4 but everytime calling support and the wonderful people there helped me but really were still researching the problem. It was you folks that actually resolved the issue with the manual effort to set the depth. I also went through a sandbelt which was a great learning experience. I also ran into an issue when one of the rollers on the z-track came off and really messed up a chuck. Again support was great and sent me a new chuck. Problem was that the chuck would not come off of the z-truck and I sent it back and bought a new chuck. No problem- stupid user. Due to these issues and some personal things it has been probably a good 6 months since I have used the machine. So I got the craving and after adjusting things and doing some test carvings away we go on a sign. About have way through I noticed the sound level in my shop had gone down so I checked....well the upper left roller was on the floor and the z-track was off just hanging there. I was able to put the roller back on and adjust the tension and tracking and noticed that the chuck would not load the bit all the way. After some more investigating and a call to support we found that the metal bearing cap just above the chuck was down preventing the chuck from extending all the way to accept the chuck. Now the fun starts... remember 88 hours and probably about 30 hours since this was replaced before.

I was told that all could be fixed by buying a new z-truck and chuck. Waranty is over and no relief only form notes offering a new Carving Club option as well to avoid the $25 support fee if I call back. Can you tell I have a problem with this. So the question is .... is this normal after 88 hours of use? With the warranty at 100 hours (yes I know the time limit as well) I would have expected this to at least make it there.

Can I push the "bearing cap" back in and continue carving? What are the issues? From support the only option was to replace the z-truck and chuck.

I appologize for the note but I really want to know my options as I got nothing from support or Carveright..... was expecting more.:mad:

Frustrated in Tampa

liquidguitars
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Can I push the "bearing cap" back in and continue carving?
No you will need a new z truck just make sure when replacing the z truck bearings that you use lock tight and let sit for a few hrs befor you start a carve.. Also ask LHR about the new replacement chuck or check out the Rock.