PDA

View Full Version : More on Fonts

Juno2
08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Fonts are strange critters. We are anxiously awaiting our CarveWright system, so I haven't had the opportunity to use fonts in this fashion YET. I am familiar with fonts since I am also a graphic designer for print publications, among other things. I imagine you will have some fonts that work better in different situations and some that you will want to avoid dealing with. Might be helpful if instead of wasting precious materials, get some that you don't mind wasting, and do up sample font pieces to see what you will get BEFORE cutting into a nice piece of wood.

I have a site to share that some may find helpful: www.dafont.com

These are PC & Mac friendly which is quite nice. I have used them in both OS and they seem to work fine. Here is the Disclaimer from their site, in case anyone has issues with font usage:

The fonts presented on this website are their authors' property, and are either freeware, shareware, demo versions or public domain. The licence mentioned above the download button is just an indication. Please look at the readme-files in the archives or check the indicated author's website for details, and contact him if in doubt. If no author/licence is indicated that's because we don't have information, that doesn't mean it's free.

Hope some will find this helpful

Aaron B
08-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Here is a thread that has some pics on it from someone that did some testing. I have used dafont.com before and its great, I love that site for fonts has a wide variety to chose from.

http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=286&highlight=fonts

pkunk
08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I could be wrong, & I am on a Mac, but I believe the Designer program will only use 'true type fonts' that are resident on your computer. I tried a font from that site that I liked and it was not recognised in designer. I have no idea what Windoz requirements are.

Aaron B
08-04-2006, 07:34 AM
I could be wrong, & I am on a Mac, but I believe the Designer program will only use 'true type fonts' that are resident on your computer. I tried a font from that site that I liked and it was not recognised in designer. I have no idea what Windoz requirements are.

I have gotten many to work but I had to make sure I was out of Designer when I copied it into the font folder where all the other fonts are. If I wasn't the font was not recognized as being there. What font was it, I could give it a try and see if its a Mac thing.

pkunk
08-04-2006, 10:25 AM
anke-calligraphier, thanks

Aaron B
08-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Yep seems okay here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/-Dragon/AnkeText.gif

Juno2
08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Is that how the font is actually spelled? I cant find it on Dafont.com

And most of those fonts are ttf that work awesome on Mac or PC. Of course some are a bit finicky and Mac have issues with certain ones or will not work properly on either machine if there is a conflict with any other font on your machine. Do you have a font manager you use on your Computer?

Juno2
08-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Here is what I came up with when I played around with some methods:

See my examples posted here... (http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173)

Aaron B
08-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Is that how the font is actually spelled? I cant find it on Dafont.com

Anke Calligraphic FG

Thats the one I used, its on the first page middle or so. Not sure if its the right one.

Juno2
08-07-2006, 11:01 PM
This is what I got from using the font with the text tool in CarveWright software:

Click Me! (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-8/1203656/AnceC3.jpg)

I believe I have come up with some fairly good processes already for bringing fonts into the software as an image, which might be a solution for some of the problem fonts. If anyone would like me to set up some kind of tutorial, just let me know. I would also like to offer to set up text for anyone who might not have the type of software I am using. Just send me a pm if you are interested in any of this stuff. I'm happy to help.
One thing that can also help with the look of your text is kerning.
You can google it as: kerning - definition
to see what it is about.