PDA

View Full Version : Carving Air

ufg8r85
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
With the Rock Chuck installed I began a project. It is approx 5" x 20" long. I started with a .25 inch depth (which I wanted) As the carving progressed it slowly began to carve shallower and shallower, until finally the bit wasn't even touching the work piece. Any ideas, solutions? I've used the same program to carve other items just fine, just don't know what caused this tonight.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

dbfletcher
01-26-2010, 09:59 PM
With the Rock Chuck installed I began a project. It is approx 5" x 20" long. I started with a .25 inch depth (which I wanted) As the carving progressed it slowly began to carve shallower and shallower, until finally the bit wasn't even touching the work piece. Any ideas, solutions? I've used the same program to carve other items just fine, just don't know what caused this tonight.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Is it possible the bit moved up in the chuck? perhaps you accidently clamped on a flat and the bit wasnt really secure? Other than that I would make sure all the rails are clean and there is nothing binding on the z axis.

Doug Fletcher

c6craig
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
I see you are using a Rock, make sure your bit isn't slipping, and that you have the flat pointing like in the videos. I had the same thing when I first got my Rock, just takes a little getting used to..

You can try the same carve again and measure how much bit is sticking out and then measure it again when you see it start to air carve, that will tell you if the bit is climbing up in the chuck.
Craig

EDIT: Nevermind, quickfingers Doug beat me to the punch...good luck with the fix... :)

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Progressive Air Carve..... Starting GOOD ending BAD.....

Some possible causes.

Loose Bit in the Rock Chuck.

Z Encoder is bad or dirty.

Z Rails or Bearings are Dirty... Speed Bumps.....

Z Belt is LOOSE in the back, the screws holding the belt to the Z.

Dirty Z Belt....

OLD Z Bundle...16 pin cable...

Bad 14 Pin FSC Cable

That will give you something to look at.

Good Luck,

AL

rjustice
01-27-2010, 06:28 AM
If you are using the 1/2" version of the chuck using the sleeve to hold the carving bit, be sure to orient the slit in the sleeve towards the hex in the clamp screw where you insert the "T" handle wrench to tighten up the bit. See the attached pictures... If it is the 1/4" version, face the flat ground on the bit towards the hex as well..

Hope this helps...

Ron