PDA

View Full Version : Measuring wrong

jtsvstar1100
01-26-2010, 08:17 AM
HI guys
I was getting Board edge detection Error 400.
After reading some posts, I found that the sensor
on the bottom of the truck(2 Diodes) was covered
in dust from the inside. How on a sealed unit?
Anyway I removed it peeled away the glue on the seam
popped it open cleaned it and put it back together.
The machine seems to work except its telling me
my board is 28.5" long but its really 35.5" long.
Any thoughts on why its measuring wrong?

Thx Jeff

mtylerfl
01-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Jeff,

Good for you in fixing the Board Sensor 400 error (cleaning the dust out).

I am in the process of finishing up a Tips & Tricks all about board tracking. It will contain a LOT of information and could possibly help you correct the board measuring problem you are experiencing.

Typically, board measurement errors occur due to a board tracking issue that must be corrected. Without going into 'every possible cause', here's a few common things to check...

- make sure your board is totally flat so that it can maintain constant contact with the brass tracking roller near the keypad side of the machine

- make sure your board is placed properly, square against the stationary guide plate, and that the sliding guideplate is not too tight against the board

- apply masking tape along the bottom edge of the board (nearest the keypad) if you think there is any chance the brass roller could be slipping as it rolls along under the board surface

- check your head pressure...minimum head pressure should be 75 pounds...tracking issues especially abound when head pressure goes down to 60 pounds or less

- make sure your shop is at least 55° or above

- verify that the rubber O-ring on the brass roller is not damaged and that it has not been knocked out of place due to sliding the board over it

- verify that your machine head is level (if not, it applies uneven pressure to the board, causing intermittent contact with the brass roller)

- if all the above seems to be in order, you may want to re-calibrate your machine

will-munny
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Im a new guy to this, but i had the same issue when it measured. My project in designer was set up on a 17 inch board. I put a 24 in board in the machine and i told it to stay under the rollers. Well, my board was 23.80inches long, so it told me my board was only 16.8, it was telling me minus the 7 inch rule i could carve on 16.8 inches if i was going to stay under the rollers. Could this be what you are experiencing. Again, im new at this so take it for what its worth. Good luck.

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2010, 01:13 PM
HI guys
I was getting Board edge detection Error 400.
After reading some posts, I found that the sensor
on the bottom of the truck(2 Diodes) was covered
in dust from the inside. How on a sealed unit?
Anyway I removed it peeled away the glue on the seam
popped it open cleaned it and put it back together.
The machine seems to work except its telling me

my board is 28.5" long but its really 35.5" long.
Any thoughts on why its measuring wrong?

Thx Jeff

Tips and Tricks will have your answer as posted above.

---------
7 inch Rule of Wood.

You told the machine to "Stay Under Rollers" so it subtracted 7 inches from your physical board.

The machine is working correctly.

Good Job fixing the Board Sensor Dust Problem.

Your on the right track to being a happy Carver.

AL

jtsvstar1100
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I wasn't doing a project at this point.
As I had just fixed the board sensor
problem(I hope) and was trying to measure
a board to see if I got the old girl going.
To measure a board, I don't think you have to
worry about the rollers. I will check when I
get home from work.

P.S. I ordered 2 board sensors today.
The old one had a crack in it., I think
when it was assembled they tighen it
to much. Crazy glue and masking tape
is holding the old together.

Thx Jeff

mtylerfl
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks AL and will-munny for waking me up. Of course you are both right. He said yes to stay under rollers and that's where the 7" discrepancy came in...duh! I need to pay more attention, or drink caffeinated coffee, or both!