PDA

View Full Version : My friend Tony

TerryT
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
When I did the demo at Lowes on the 1st of November, I met a bunch of great guys. Many of which already had a carvewright and just wanted to ask questions. Tony, however, was clearly struggling. He had never used a computer and had only purchased one so he could use his Sears Compucarve. Being a woodworker most of his adult life he had visons of projects he wanted to make but couldn't get them into designer the way they were in his head. I started to go to his house on Sunday mornings to help him learn the software. He has a way to go but the designs and engineering are all his, all I did was help him learn the software.
Here is one of Tony's first projects. He had three colors of wood and three names to carve. He seperated each letter of each name so he could carve them in the color that he wanted, Red, black and white wood. The piece was made to top a half high wall. It looks great.
Tony is also one of the best chefs I know when it comes to baby back ribs. I have been going to Tonys house every Sunday morning for a couple of months now and I always have a rack of fresh babybacks when I leave. Tony's wife just past away a few months ago and the Compucarve helps him pass the time by making things for his grand children. By the way, Tony is 93 years old and his Compucarve is in the living room. No one is gonna yell at him and he dosen't get cold walking to the garage.

fwharris
01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Terry,

Great story and thanks for sharing it with us! I am sure you took great pleasure in working with Tony to teach him the design software and creating such a nice piece of work.

Kenm810
01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Terry,

I'm always so impressed by all the good folks on this forum,
that are eager and willing to help our fellow carvers.
A little time, a bit of information, a shared Idea, a moment or two of guidance,
or just a few words of encouragement, can go such a long ways these days.

Deolman
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Wonderful story. I hope I am able to something like that if I am lucky enough to reach that age. Please cheer Tony on for us. Cheers too you also Terry for the time well spent.

Eagle Hollow
01-26-2010, 06:25 AM
You're the man TerryT. My hat's off to you.

CarverJerry
01-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Great guy Terry, nothing like having a true good friend. And the job tuned out swell. Nothing like keeping yourself busy when you're all alone, thanks Carvewright.........

cnsranch
01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Good for you, Terry - make sure Tony knows that we think his work is first class.

You may want to think about getting Tony's work and story in CW's Customer Gallery. Here's the link -

http://carvewright.com/gallery/

RayTrek
01-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Terry,
Wow, that is so cool! I have a little lump in the throat, Thank you very much for you’re giving and I am with Jerry, Hats off to you.
Would you pass on to Tony that it is folks like him that inspire us and he will live on with his great creations.
Good day to you ~ Ray

twiceretired
01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Terry you are exemplary of all the people that are on this Forum. LHR should be proud that there wonderful carving machine and software brought together such a brilliant group of knowledgeable, creative and helpfully caring individuals. Tell Tony he does beautiful work, and that we look forward to seeing lots more projects. And thank you Terry for giving of your time and knowledge.

PCW
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Terry,

Thumb's up to you and Tony. If you haven't already pointed Tony to the forum I hope you do. He sounds like a good person to spend some time with and I would almost bet you learned as much as he did.

TerryT
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Terry,

Thumb's up to you and Tony. If you haven't already pointed Tony to the forum I hope you do.

He is just now getting to try some email, doesn't like it. He prefers the phone.

He sounds like a good person to spend some time with and I would almost bet you learned as much as he did.

He showed me pictures (and his house is full of) projects that he did in his younger days (65-70). I was duely impressed. He is a talented woodworker and his skill far exceeds mine.

Dan-Woodman
01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Terry
I fell like the other guys , that would be a great story for CW. He would have to be one of the senior eldest customers they have.

How did you happen to be the demonstrator at Lowe's . Thats a job I would like to do around where I live.
later Daniel

TerryT
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Terry,

Thumb's up to you and Tony. If you haven't already pointed Tony to the forum I hope you do. He sounds like a good person to spend some time with and I would almost bet you learned as much as he did.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. This started out as a business deal. Tony paid me to help him and the babyback ribs keep me coming back.

c6craig
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. This started out as a business deal. Tony paid me to help him and the babyback ribs keep me coming back.

Regardless how it started or whether or not you got paid, it's still a great thing you did. It's awesome to see someone of that age be able to continue his love for woodworking. I hope there are guys like you around if I ever make it to that age!

Good job!

Craig

PCW
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Terry,

That is how alot of good friendships start out. Some of my best friends have evolved from business relationships. The reason for or how is not important. Two Thumbs Up

TerryT
06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Tony called the other day. He heard about the new chuck that LHR had and ordered one. "WILL YOU INSTALL IT????

Sure, I says. Why not. So I did. Tony had a good QC to start with. So the noise deal was not much of an improvement. The Old qc didn't have that much run out to cause any harmonics. So the noise was about the same. The quality of the carve, however, Was unbelieveable! The detail was incredable! If you have to offer your first born to get it, get the new LHR carve tight chuck. I think the rock should be about the same but get one of them!!!!

LHR, think of the money you could have saved if you had listened to me 3 years ago!!!!!

P.S. You might want to think about it again???

Fletcher
06-12-2010, 10:45 AM
That's a GREAT story! I love the fact that he runs it in his living room!

Nothing like helping somebody out with something that makes them happy! Good job!

BTW... Nurses are compensated for their efforts too, but their work is still noble - as are your efforts with Tony!

CHEERS!:D

Old Cop
06-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Terry

Great thing you did for Tony.I am 77 years old,lost my wife to cancer four years ago and shortly after that bought my first Carvewright.Now have two of them.The machines and the people on this forum are the greatest.

old Cop

TerryT
06-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Terry

Great thing you did for Tony.I am 77 years old,lost my wife to cancer four years ago and shortly after that bought my first Carvewright.Now have two of them.The machines and the people on this forum are the greatest.

old Cop

Yep, lots of good people on here. I think some have almost as much knowledge as LHR's techs. Everyone is willing to help with a problem.

Icutone2
06-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Terry, Do you really thing thay will remember that comment?
Lee

TerryT
01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I haven't had much time during the summer and fall, our main business is seasonal and is a mad house during the spring and summer, so I only called Tony once this summer. He said everything was going well. I now have some time and gave Tony a call. His number was disconnected. My heart skipped a beat or two. I did some checking and found this.

CLEMENTS, Walker E."Tony" Lt. Col. USAF Ret.(Age 92)
Passed away September 26, 2010. He was born in Dothan, Alabama and graduated from high school and joined the military. He married Mary Hale July 4, 1939. Tony was a navigator on B-25, B-36 and B-52's and was a WWII veteran. He retired after serving 26 years for his country as a Lt.Colonel. After retirement he went on to build several homes and had a great passion for finished woodworking. He is survived by his granddaughters Cindy Berge and Stacy Noble Hodl ; two great-grandchildren and two great great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by his loving wife of 70 years Mary H. Clements and daughter Linda S. Cofer. At his request a private family gathering was held.

It's a sad day.

atauer
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow.

I hate to hear about someone passing, especially when its a close friend. I'm sorry to hear that Tony has left us. Its amazing that he decided to try to tackle technology that late in life. Seeing the pictures you posted of his first project leads me to believe that he finally got the hang of it.

Do you happen to have any more pictures of his work?

Old Salt
01-12-2011, 04:11 PM
You get the great memory.

jpaluck
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Terry

Sorry to hear about your loss. Had something similar happen in reverse with an older friend of mine a few years ago...was thinking I need to call him and see how he's doing. Got a call that night and the caller ID it was my friends number. It was his daughter to let me know he had passed away and when the funeral was...weird when it happens like that, really makes you think how short it is

TerryT
01-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow.

I hate to hear about someone passing, especially when its a close friend. I'm sorry to hear that Tony has left us. Its amazing that he decided to try to tackle technology that late in life. Seeing the pictures you posted of his first project leads me to believe that he finally got the hang of it.

Do you happen to have any more pictures of his work?

I wish I did. His house was filled with furniture that he had built. The kitchen cabinets all had hand carved Oak doors. One day when we were visiting he got out an album filled with photos of things he had made. Most were made for and given to friends. There was some pretty incredible work, tables, china hutches, entertainment centers, etc. His mind was sharp and he learned quickly. His engineering skills were still great and he knew what he wanted to acomplish.

Deolman
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Indeed a sad day. Sorry you had to find out this way. My condolences.

TerryT
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
I spoke to Tony's grandaughters today. "He would love for you to have it!". "Thanks, I would be honored to have Tony's machine." Cindy and her sister made a very generous deal and I now have an almost new Compucarve. I would rather be using it at Tony's house and watching the grin on his face like we used to do, but this is the next best thing. There are several memory cards. Most of them have projects that he made but never got to carve. I guess even 93 years isn't enough time for all the fun we would like to have.

Deolman
03-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear it Terry.

Capt Bruce
03-31-2011, 09:24 PM
My respectful salute to you Terry! Bravo

fwharris
03-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Terry,

No better way to have a good memory of a great friend!

liquidguitars
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Terry,
Well done.

TerryT
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Have you ever listened to the sound of a twin engine aircraft? The harmonic sound of the two engines almost vibrating against each other is unmistakeable. That is the sound in my shop right now as the two carvewrights are both running and harmonizing! I'm test carving a new pattern on Tony's machine and a prototype birdfeeder project on mine.

easybuilt
03-31-2011, 10:22 PM
That's awsome Terry! I sure it is a great feeling that your carving for Tony Too!

rcdages
04-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Terry,

Sadden for the loss of your friend Tony. He lives on with you in his CarveWright as you carve with it.

lynnfrwd
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I spoke to Tony's grandaughters today. "He would love for you to have it!". "Thanks, I would be honored to have Tony's machine." Cindy and her sister made a very generous deal and I now have an almost new Compucarve. I would rather be using it at Tony's house and watching the grin on his face like we used to do, but this is the next best thing. There are several memory cards. Most of them have projects that he made but never got to carve. I guess even 93 years isn't enough time for all the fun we would like to have.

Oh, Terry! That is so touching!

TerryT
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Update on Tony's machine.

For two and a half years Tony's machine has been working away flawlessly. It is my primary machine and takes the brunt of the workload. I haven't done a thing to it in the time I have had it. Sometimes I wonder if Tony isn't tinkering in the shop at night, keeping it tuned up. LOL

rcdages
09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Great to hear.

Smoken D
09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Wow! Double wow!

Chip
09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Terry, you are a true winner. It's heart warming to know that there is a still someone on earth with the admirable qualities that you have. Thanks for sharing this story.

Chip