PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifing wood

andes
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I got a pretty good deal on a large piece of purpleheart and this other board which I am sure is not purpleheart or padouk, but its a beautiful piece of wood. Can one of you identify it.

Eagle Hollow
01-26-2010, 06:38 AM
I got a pretty good deal on a large piece of purpleheart and this other board which I am sure is not purpleheart or padouk, but its a beautiful piece of wood. Can one of you identify it.

My guess is "Honduran Mahogany"...or possibly African Mahogany. Wide growth rings.

JDPratt
01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Mahogany would be my guess too. Could be bloodwood too. It looks a little dark to be redheart. Hard to tell with the shine. What are the other characteristics of the wood? Hardness, smell, weight?

hogiewan
01-26-2010, 11:59 AM
It might be bloodwood - try cutting or scratching it - the newly cut wood is bright red, but browns quickly with exposure.

liquidguitars
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM
looks like African Mahogany cut on the quarter, but the wide grain is throwing me..

80% African Mahogany for my guess. ;)

LG

andes
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
well it weighs about 10.5 lbs, when I scratch it, its kind of a orange color, maybe it is Paduak, I tried to take a shot of the scratch. Its a heavy dense wood, very solid. The size of the board is 13 1/2 x 49 3/8 x 1/2. As for smell its almost has a burnt sweet smell, but I have sinus issues, so the smell part my not be correct LOL

Mahogany would be my guess too. Could be bloodwood too. It looks a little dark to be redheart. Hard to tell with the shine. What are the other characteristics of the wood? Hardness, smell, weight?

AskBud
01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I've used Paduak, and it sounds like you have it.
AskBud

Scroll'ng Dave
01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Andrea,
My guess is it Macasar Ebony from S. America - it's difficult to make a positive ID from the picture. A second guess, if the grain stands out with a corse texture, kind of like ridges, than I would say its Wenge from Central Africa. There both exotcis, much like purpleheart; but not rare or really all that uncommon. They are both hard and I would assume they would both carve well. The Wenge might not produce the texture your looking for in a carve though. To me, its a little too dark to be a Mahogany...

Dave

JDPratt
01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
I think Bud nailed it. I hadn't thought about Paduak. Sometimes bloodwood is confused for Paduak. With the orange color when scratched and sweet smell it sounds like that might be it. I don't think it is Wenge. I have used Wenge extensively and it looks way to red for that. Wenge is often confused for Black Walnut. For more info check out this website and make your own determination.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

liquidguitars
01-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Paduak if it smells sweet..

SeaCapt97
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Just finished a African Mahogany buffet. The squirrely Grain and the color look exactly like the lumber I used.

luckettg
01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
From the other guesses, I must be really wrong, but it looks like the Walnut that I get from local mills here in SW MI. Colors vary but the grain patterns are very similar. I usually can tell from the smell when I cut it too. Please don't ask me to describe the Walnut smell....I would be hopeless doing that well enough to make any sense.:)