PDA

View Full Version : Bit Optimization??

Aaron B
07-28-2006, 06:08 AM
I have read the help file and here is what is says:

"A finely detailed pattern may be distorted due to the width of the router bit cutting away more than is desired while carving the pattern. Bit optimization provides a method to solve this problem. With bit optimization enabled, the pattern is modified in order to minimize the amount of the pattern that will be lost due to the size of the bit. "

I tried this on a pattern and when I went to upload it in the program it had estimated LESSS time to carve it than when it was on "none" for bit optimization. Maybe I am not understanding what its doing or how it works but I was just figuring it would take longer to carve at the "best" setting. Does depth of carving or height play into the optimization as well? Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks

cmorlier
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Consider a pattern with a cross section detail that looks like a narrow V. The default behavior (no optimization) is to touch every point in the V. The problem is that the carving bit is not V shaped. So when it carves down to the tip of the V, part of the sides of the V will get carved away. Depending on what you are carving, this may or may not be okay.

What bit optimization does is it takes the shape of the carving bit into account. So in best mode it attempts to not cut below the surface of the desired carving. The result is that you will not carve down to the tip of the V; the bit will carve to the depth where the bit profile touches the sides of the V.

To visualize what I have described, look at the difference between the icons for the different optimization levels.

So with optimization on, the bit may not need to change depth as much, which will allow it to move over the pattern more quickly.