PDA

View Full Version : Broken clutch

stanv77
01-24-2010, 07:06 PM
I just went out to set up my machine to do a project and the clutch behind the crank broke. This is the first major problem I have had for about 4 months.I know there is parts manual on line some where but I can't find it. I would like someone to point me in the right direction.

AskBud
01-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I just went out to set up my machine to do a project and the clutch behind the crank broke. This is the first major problem I have had for about 4 months.I know there is parts manual on line some where but I can't find it. I would like someone to point me in the right direction.

First item in the second section.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/customer_service

stanv77
01-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks Bud I was at this site but must have read right area.
Thanks again

HillbillyBill
02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Hello Everyone:

Need some help - I was cleaning my machine and tried to raise it to about 4" when the clutch started to click and it wouldn’t raise any longer.

When I tried to lower it again, it wouldn’t, just clicked away. I loosened the two bolts on the cover and took them out.... Yikes, after I read the instructions to adjust the head pressure it reads “DON”T TAKE OUT BOLTS”

So I pnt them back in and tried again to lower the head. Nope, wouldn’t budge. I unscrewed the handle and found the clutch ring behind the crank broke in three pieces. Does anyone know where I can get another clutch ring and did I damage the head by taking out the two bolts - or what’s the fix for that?

The exact part is: Side Panel & crank assembly # 147

Here: http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

Thanks
Al

fwharris
02-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Hello Everyone:

Need some help - I was cleaning my machine and tried to raise it to about 4" when the clutch started to click and it wouldn’t raise any longer.

When I tried to lower it again, it wouldn’t, just clicked away. I loosened the two bolts on the cover and took them out.... Yikes, after I read the instructions to adjust the head pressure it reads “DON”T TAKE OUT BOLTS”

So I pnt them back in and tried again to lower the head. Nope, wouldn’t budge. I unscrewed the handle and found the clutch ring behind the crank broke in three pieces. Does anyone know where I can get another clutch ring and did I damage the head by taking out the two bolts - or what’s the fix for that?

The exact part is: Side Panel & crank assembly # 147

Here: http://www.carvewright.com/images/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

Thanks
Al

This is what Sear's parts shows for this. Looks like a full kit for the crank assembly..
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?pop=true&modelNumber=133217540&productCategoryId=0716000&brandId=0247&brandDescription=CRAFTSMAN&modelName=COMPUCARVE&diagramPageId=00009&componentDescription=SIDE%20PANEL&documentId=50032312&blt=06

HillbillyBill
02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks! $32.00 for the part... Did I cause another problem when I took the two head bolts out of the top of the machine? I didn't touch the other two on the other side.

Al

fwharris
02-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks! $32.00 for the part... Did I cause another problem when I took the two head bolts out of the top of the machine? I didn't touch the other two on the other side.

Al

Al,

I do not think there is a problem with taking out the 2 head bolts. Only possible thing that I can think of the maybe the hear realignment (4 corner post adjustment procedure) or head leveling...

Digitalwoodshop
02-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Is by any chance your head in the full UP position and just clicks to lower?....

That is a common problem... Inside the right side of the machine opposite the keypad is the jacking screw... It has a hole to turn it to prime the jacking screw to lower it.

Just thinking outside the box....

AL

rjustice
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM
stanv77,

Something that came to mind that would cause the head not wanting to move up and down properly is the temperature. Shortly after getting my machine i found that if it got much under 60 degrees, the clutch would just slip out and not want to move the head without some "help"... Once brought up to temp, it was fine...

Which gets to the question... was your machine cold when you tried to move it?... this could be what started the problem..

Ron

fwharris
02-14-2010, 12:37 PM

I think this was why it would not raise or lower..