PDA

View Full Version : boat anchor

mfoxworth1
01-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I am just wondering if anyone else has wasted as much money and time trying to make their machine complete just one project i am so frustrated I read about all these great projects and money being made and at this point all I can think is horse &$&@ the shear money I have wasted on wood is stagering and support from the company is almost non existant. any body got any suggestions

dbfletcher
01-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, I can say I share your pain. I bought my first in June 2007 from Sear... had it replaced three times in as many months and spent countless hours on the phone with tech support. After about 6 months of fightning witht he machine and never being able to complete a single project... i stuffed it in a corner for a year. THAT TURNED OUT TO BE MY BIGGEST MISTAKE.

By the time I decided to give it another whirl, I was out of the warrenty period. My crys that my machine had less than 20 hours on it fell on deaf ears wheni called LHR about the continuing issues. So had to dump more money in for a failed power supply, belts, bits, sensors, etc.

My big turning point was when I replaced the qc with the Rock from rjustice. I have hardly had any issues since then. I find it hard to beleive myself that one simple change could make such a difference, but it is the only think i can attribute it to. I bought a second machine (used) in August.. it still had a qc.. tried two simple projects when i recieved it and was never able to finish either of them. Bought a rock for machine #2, and have not had any issues with it now either.

All I can say is stick with it... come to the forum and post your problems and questions. Many people here will bend over backwards to help solve your issues. Once you get a stable working machine you will love it... but i know all too well that sometimes if can be incredible frustrating to get there.

Good luck and I hope you will stick it out.

Doug Fletcher

mfoxworth1
01-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Doug thanks for the reply please tell me more about this rock from rjustice i really want this thing to work just hate throwing good maoney after bad if ya know what i mean thanks again

temler
01-24-2010, 06:51 AM
I have to agree with the rest of them about the Rock once I got the rock my problems seem to have disappeared. The Rock is the ticket in my opinion and LHR know they have a problem with there QC that is why they are changing it. I think most of us would pay the extra for a new machine with a rock on it instead of a qc that is if we bought new. ;)
Now for LHR I have never had a problem with getting info and help from them, but when it comes to the warranty end date they don't budge one day on that. I don't have a problem with LHR except when i tried to get the schematics for this machine. I love this machine and know there is a lot more good machine out there than bad but i am sure that the QC is has been the root of all there evil problems. Can't wait till they change chucks. There shipping seems to be slow right now but i think that was all the holiday stuff. I just can't say anything bad about LHR because they are the ones that designed this wonderful headache for us.
Just my 1.5 cents worth.
Tim

rjustice
01-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Doug thanks for the reply please tell me more about this rock from rjustice i really want this thing to work just hate throwing good maoney after bad if ya know what i mean thanks again

Hi Mfoxworth1,
You can find info on the Rock Chuck System by clicking on the links highlited below in my signature.

Thank you for your interest!

Ron

Smoken D
01-24-2010, 09:07 AM
mfoxworth1;
Here is a story I posted 3 days ago. I have now carved 8 projects and still absutely no problems nor has the machine stopped since.

The Villains
LHR
Some of those on the Forum

Those to the Rescue
Floyd Harris
Ron Justice
Some of those on the Forum

Well, here is my story. I have had my CarveWright for 11 months now and what a trip. First I'll explain why I have some of those on the Forum in the villains and rescue. If you are first starting on the forum you will find some of the Ole timers and great minds on the forum can make ya cuss. They make you feel like dog poop and have opinions worth the same. Now, for their advice on problems with the carvewright, absolutely PRICELESS! I think they forget that there is such a thing as a new user, someone new to woodworking, and some just not too computer literate. I know my experience at where I have used the “ “ marks when searching for something, and just cannot find what I think I am looking for. So, I go to the forum and ask. The first response from, that villain, is search for your answer (stupid). Well, I have already done that villain and am having trouble finding the correct answer, and YES I used the “ marks. Hang in there, because someone will come along and really help you out and get your problem solved. Even with my little experience I guarantee you I will try and send you to the right place for the answer or at least post the thread about your problem. But once again I really want to give credit to those on the forum that help us little guys out with their great knowledge about the ### machine.
First, I saw this machine in action many years ago at a woodworking show and fell in love with it. Thought maybe someday I just might get the money to get one. Dreamed about it for years and finally last year something came up and I was able to save ½ the money for it. Then got it through Lowe's with a 6 month no interest to finish payment. I finally got my dream machine!
Now to my machine. For the first 6 months I didn't really get to use it as much as I would like to have. Had many, very small, problems that a call to LHR didn't get it solved. Most of the problems were the LEARNING CURVE of getting to know this machine. A disappointment in sorts, but great experience. Then at 6 months and 50 hours on the carving motor my problems really began. The board sensor went out, OK LHR sent a new one. After installing that it turned out the roller sensor was bad. So LHR sent a new one. Now the machine has been down a month and after receiving the roller sensor assembly, putting that in, the machine still does not work. Now I'm at the end of my wits, call LHR and tell them I paid $2400, has only 50 hours on it, and after the 3rd try it still don't work. I want to send it back and you guys get if fixed and running. Well, it's gonna cost me like $168 to mail it in. Of course 8 days after ordering the return, nothing about being picked up. So, an e-mail to LHR and a day later a response that the next working day it will be picked up. Sounds like someone kinda left the ball hanging? So now the machine is gone for a few weeks and upon return of course the parts replaced are NOT covered under warranty. ( total cost little over $200) Now the machine has been down 2 months. Well, the machine worked like a charm---for 10 hours. During the last carve, and Christmas present, the bit cut up and out of alignment a real nice piece of Cherry. Call LHR do the test and the final answer is, Sometimes it just happens, try again. Try again and the same results and another ruined piece of great Cherry. This time with LHR, ya need a new QC and the parts needed to change the chuck. Of course the QC is NOT covered under warranty. (Another $130) Get them and at the first try with 2 yanks the square tool needed to change the chuck breaks. (Order 2 more another $30) Now I have had it and the machine has been down 3 ½ months. So, I finally give up and put the dang thing up for sale. Even at that no luck, so after many reads about my problem I really figure that I need the ROCK CHUCK to fix this thing along with a vacuum system hooked up to it. Will give it another try. So I order the Rock from Ron and install it. (another $150) Guess what, after 4 carves not 1 problem, shut down, or any problem what so ever. So I go ahead and order a DC from Floyd, install it. ($55) Just now I completed a 7 hour carve, which was my 7th carve since the ROCK, and again I have NOT had 1 problem, shut down, or any problem what so ever. I would sure like an explanation from someone at LHR. I have never ever been able to carve 2 projects without something going WRONG! I am so glad I ended up sticking with it and the great advice from the forum. Already got in mind what to carve next. Just wish there was a better learning system on the software for designing stuff. Yes, I am one of those that computers are way over my head, but I will learn. Thanks to everyone who helped out and got this machine going. So, if ya gonna get one of these machines, you need to learn how to take it apart. Not really too difficult when Robert, at LHR helps. Best of luck to everyone NEW to the DRAGON MACHINE.
Smoken D

Ike
01-24-2010, 10:37 AM
I am just wondering if anyone else has wasted as much money and time trying to make their machine complete just one project i am so frustrated I read about all these great projects and money being made and at this point all I can think is horse &$&@ the shear money I have wasted on wood is stagering and support from the company is almost non existant. any body got any suggestions

I too had problems at first and continue to have the simple yet frustrating errors. Those errors being the close cover and board sensor.Not so much the cover since I stop using the cover for a stop during a carve and use the stop button. But I get the board sensor error often.

Ok that said I did have a lemon at first, it happens and a lot to me! Then with the idea this machine was a piece of junk anytime a error came up I would get mad!

It was a lot my mistake of just jumping in and using the machine without learning how to use it or how it worked! Then the software was the other half that has been corrected for the most part. I bought my first machine in 2006 and it is a part machine, bought another one and sold it to Al of Digitalwood.

Then I decided I like this machine and sold a new 4' by 8' Shopbot and even still have a never used K2 CNC and bought a CW this time. It has never been in the shop once! I sat down and learned everything I could through the forum asking questions and reading manual.

So now if the bit plate doesn't come out the rails need cleaned and the plate needs a shot of WD 40! Even the frustrating board sensor and the occasional close cover errors are easy fixes. A Z axis error can be caused by anything from a dull bit to an uneven head from moving the CW all the time.

I have since bought another CC a reconditioned and lucked out it was new and only $750.00! I have made enough money that all the machines have paid for themselves.

So until I learned the in's and out's of this machine like it being too cold the machine will not work well to proper design I was frustrated!

Bottom line I am amazed on how this little machine works and yes the "Rock" is great! Plus a good dust collection is a must! I recommend FHarris' DC system or there is a few plans out there to build your own.

Good luck and I hope you work things out!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
01-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Mfox,

It is sad to see you quickly jump on the "Boat Anchor" Bandwaggon.....

I looked over your 9 posts and my recommendation is to change how you go about learning about the machine and how to use it.

Your reply asking about the Rock Chuck....

Doug thanks for the reply please tell me more about this rock from rjustice i really want this thing to work just hate throwing good maoney after bad if ya know what i mean thanks again 12 Hours Ago 05:01 AM

There are about 500 posts about the Rock Chuck so that tells me that you would rather type out a new question dripping with Sarcasms then search or read the Forum. YOU need to do your part.....

We are hear to help you and spend a lot of our time typing out answers so spending time reading would be a big help to you.

Tips and Tricks will help too, it would have explained why you got a AIR Carve doing Text and wasted wood.

Call me a "Villain", but like a student in school, sometimes the teacher must tell the student to stop talking, sit down and LISTEN. All the answers to your questions are already here.

Good Luck,

We are here to HELP.

AL

mfoxworth1
01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
im sold want to order the only question that I have is I own all the bits do I need the 1/2 and the 1/4 collet someone tell me what to buy. HELP:roll:

dbfletcher
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM
im sold want to order the only question that I have is I own all the bits do I need the 1/2 and the 1/4 collet someone tell me what to buy. HELP:roll:

The 1/2 rock with the 1/4 & 1/8 inserts is the most versitile combination. Please dont assume this is the magic bullet to solve all your problems however. It is a step in the right direction though.

Doug Fletcher

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I delted all posts that involved name calling or responses to name calling. Please treat everyone with respect...

SeaCapt97
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Having been a traditional wood carver and woodworker for many years, I sometimes feel like I'm cheating by using my CarveWright and taking credit for beautiful work. But then the light bulb went on! I can still take great pride in "beating the machine" with every finished project. Yeah she can be "high maintenance" but if you treat her right she'll "put out" for ya'. Kinda brings back High School memories . . . ;)

tstamps
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I bought my unit by a 3rd party. I start a project and it has this on the display Z Axis Staled Error 308. Can anyone help or is there a defult setting on the machine to clear it to factory settings?:confused:

cnsranch
01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
tstamps - start here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=1021061

hess
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I delted all posts that involved name calling or responses to name calling. Please treat everyone with respect...
Wow dude I thought I was doing good at taking CW side. Looks like Ill just not try to do that again. You never fail to amaze Jeff just when I think you might be riden right you show me the other side . Not a problem but I will not go out on a limb for it again thanks for making my day I love being Censused esp when I was trying to help.

From now on Ill just stay here in my corner and shut up just is case you are pms s again

tstamps
01-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your help! Will try blowing and lubing the machine.

mfoxworth1
01-27-2010, 02:01 PM
hey ron
just got the rock chuck and all i can say is WOW it may not be the silver bullet but it is a high powered caliber thanks again...PS if you own one of these machines you gota get a rock chuck..:mrgreen:

rjustice
01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
hey ron
just got the rock chuck and all i can say is WOW it may not be the silver bullet but it is a high powered caliber thanks again...PS if you own one of these machines you gota get a rock chuck..:mrgreen:

Hi mfox,
Thanks for the "wow" you might be suprised at the outcome. I wouldnt count out the "silver bullet" just yet :)

From the emails i have been getting, i think that once you get things tuned up, you will be in store for hundreds of hours of trouble free carving. I have at least a dozen guys that have told me they have over 500 trouble free hours since changing chucks. many more than that are over 200 hours now.

Thank you for the comments!

Ron

ChrisAlb
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Mfox,

It is sad to see you quickly jump on the "Boat Anchor" Bandwaggon.....

I looked over your 9 posts and my recommendation is to change how you go about learning about the machine and how to use it.

Your reply asking about the Rock Chuck....

Doug thanks for the reply please tell me more about this rock from rjustice i really want this thing to work just hate throwing good maoney after bad if ya know what i mean thanks again 12 Hours Ago 05:01 AM

There are about 500 posts about the Rock Chuck so that tells me that you would rather type out a new question dripping with Sarcasms then search or read the Forum. YOU need to do your part.....

We are hear to help you and spend a lot of our time typing out answers so spending time reading would be a big help to you.

Tips and Tricks will help too, it would have explained why you got a AIR Carve doing Text and wasted wood.

Call me a "Villain", but like a student in school, sometimes the teacher must tell the student to stop talking, sit down and LISTEN. All the answers to your questions are already here.

Good Luck,

We are here to HELP.

AL

What more can be said? Oh yeah....DITTO...:smile:

That's why we love ya AL (Who?) AKA ...Villian! :roll:

Jeff_Birt
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow dude I thought I was doing good at taking CW side. Looks like Ill just not try to do that again. You never fail to amaze Jeff just when I think you might be riden right you show me the other side . Not a problem but I will not go out on a limb for it again thanks for making my day I love being Censused esp when I was trying to help.

From now on Ill just stay here in my corner and shut up just is case you are pms s again

Guys, have at it act like 5 year olds all you want. I have better things to do with my time than try to enforce the forum rules and catch flack for doing so. I removed all the posts that had anything to do with name-calling, which is against the forum rules, everything else was left in the hopes that a civil conversation might continue and that still is not good enough??????

You'll have to find yourself a new whipping boy, I'm done being abused,

ChrisAlb
01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Guys, have at it act like 5 year olds all you want. I have better things to do with my time than try to enforce the forum rules and catch flack for doing so. I removed all the posts that had anything to do with name-calling, which is against the forum rules, everything else was left in the hopes that a civil conversation might continue and that still is not good enough??????

You'll have to find yourself a new whipping boy, I'm done being abused,

Don't take it to heart brother. You know full well there's one (or more) in every bunch. Heck, maybe the guy was just having a bad day. I can relate...LOL

The work you mods do is fully appreciated by all those who matter Jeff. Giving in simply insures those who don't....Win.

Keep up the good work my friend and it's been far too long since we've chatted. I hope all is well with you and yours buddy....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

SharonB
01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Jeff... I, for one, say thanks for deleting some of the comments. There is way to much important information to read through each day. If you keep up with the forum and then have to wade through someone letting off steam when, if they would, take the time and/or advice given it would lower everyone's blood pressure.

It would be nice if the information/advice given here was right on the money each time. Even when having a machine in front of you the problems might not be apparent but to give help from afar it becomes a hit and miss situation. As for the problems people see with the machine....go to LHR...they are the ones manufacturing the product...don't do it here.

DickB
01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Interesting comments about the Rock chuck solving all problems. I have not switched to the Rock but had similar experience with problems for a while, but then pretty smooth sailing after that. Like others have said, part of the issue was the learning curve. The system is complex and it takes a bit to get to understand the machine and its operation. I still get confused about project orientation, which corner of an oversize board is the origin, etc. It would help if the machine didn't turn projects upside down and use a reference corner in operation that is different from the x-y origin in Designer, but that's the way it is and it takes (me) a while to figure these things out and have them become second nature. Once that happens, funny thing, the machine starts operating better.

I had a cover switch go bad within a few days and the replacement also went bad in short order too. I used contact cleaner after that but still got erroneous cover open messages and project halts, so I installed a better sealed microswitch and have not had issues with that since. I had a sticky bit plate which got cured for good by my smoothing the edge of the z truck, but only after trial and error with lube and other fixes that didn't last. And my z-truck broke after about 20 hours - the casting itself broke and a wheel fell off. The replacement had a modified design, so clearly this was something the manufacturer has had issues with and addressed. I wish they would address the other common problems like the cover switch but there you go. The other issue that I have had is bits sticking in the QC, but again this was really a learning curve issue. By learning to lube the QC on every job, I have had no issues. I also learned that the removal tool is not helpful, and a stuck bit in my cases anyway can be freed by a generous spray of WD-40 at the top of the chuck, a few seconds, and working the release several times.

I suppose if I had switched to the Rock at this point I too might conclude that the Rock solved all problems. But I didn't, yet the problems are no longer with me. I suppose my machine will break down now that I have said that - it's running as I type.

I think the keys to success with the machine are coming up the learning curve, a combination downdraft and under-the-cover vacuum system, keeping the QC chuck and flex shaft properly lubed, and making repairs and fixes yourself if at all possible. Some problems the manufacturer has addressed and some not, so for the latter just do it yourself. Many swear by the Rock chuck, but in my experience it hasn't been necessary for success with the machine.

The forum has lots of good info but like most forums you have to sift through a lot of stuff and winnow the wheat from the chaff, and there is a lot of chaff. You may also need a thick skin. A response by one of the veterans to an early learning curve comment that I made was not kind, but hey, you can shrug it off and move on or let it get to you and start a squabble. I agree it is not helpful to get the curt response "do a search" but you will sometimes get helpful people who will tell you exactly what to search for or post a link because they know where the info is.

luckettg
01-29-2010, 06:23 AM

I must have missed the name calling in this thread and cannot recall if I had posted any msgs here, but I would not have been doing any name calling and doubt that I did. I am now alerted to the deleting of msgs, which is your job, Jeff to handle. Thank you for flagging it and I know your job can be difficult at times.

mister_zed
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I too have had my share of problems with the QC, the cover switch and the compression rollers switch, and uneven carvings, and board sensor, and maybe some other stuff.

At one time the QC was stuck for me for two days, while I performed unbelievable atrocities to it, just to get my bit back. It would not snap on bits properly and it would not release them, not even with brute force applied to the release tool.

I realized that there is a nice procedure called RTFM (Read the f...ing manual) that can be extended into reading the PDF files describing different aspects of CC-troubleshooting. It works!

The cover switch could use some clean compressed air now and then, the compression rollers likewise, if you succede in penetrating beneath the rubber covers.

Even the QC behaves like a dream: every time I exchange bit I put a few drops of some CRC-lubricant on the adapter (1/2 inch) or into the hole in the upper on the upside of the adapter (1/4 inch). When I have put the bit in the adapter I always check with my hands that the plastic ring of the QC is tight in the downwards position and that the bit is not moving. Since then I do not even use the QC-tool...

And the uneven carvings were caused by loose Y-truck, also easily amended with a 12mm key, without even disassembling the machine.

OK, for the time being I am stuck with broken gears, but it was an operator fault.

What I'm trying to say: you need to do a lot of reading in order to use the machine properly. You know, it's like an automobile... Nowadays you fuel and drive. 100 years ago you did servicing, cleaning, then you did some driving - and sometimes you did fuel it as well. ;-)

Could LHR make the machine less prone to breakdowns? Maybe. Everything that is man-made can be made better and I hope LHR are aware of that as well. The other points where LHR could improve are:
1. they should be quite open with the fact that the machine will NOT perform as expected unless you RTFM
2. they should keep track of what errors users do and stock with parts accordingly
3. they should update the documentation more frequently.

/Z