PDA

View Full Version : Sweetheart Basket - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
01-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Sweetheart Basket". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Sweetheart Basket makes a charming gift for your loved one and will be especially cherished for a very long time! Fill it with ‘goodies’ and give it to your sweetheart for any special occasion...Valentines Day, anniversaries, weddings, or ‘just because’. After the goodies are gone, the basket can be filled with silk flowers, roses, or whatever your sweetheart desires!

This project features a basket weave motif with four mill-grain bordered hearts on the sides and a unique, decorative heart-themed handle to match. The finished ‘basket’ is about 14" wide x 9" deep x 8" tall.

The project requires no special bits. The sides and handle are carved and cut out with just the two bits that came with your machine. (The bottom is a plain board cut to size yourself on a table saw or other suitable tool.)

Main items you will need:

1) The 2 Project Files (included):
Heart_Basket_Front_and_Side.mpc
Heart_Basket_Handle.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Front and Sides: .75" x 7" x 28" (two)
Basket Handle: .75" x 6" x 22" (one)
Basket Bottom*: .75" x 8" x 10 7/8" (one)
* the bottom can be cut from any suitable material, such as solid wood or plywood (I cut the part for the bottom on my table saw from scrap ¾" thick pine)

(NOTE: Do not use a board that is smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Round Wooden toothpicks (two)

4) Sandpaper, clamps and/or box clamp (strap), wood glue, quick-set Epoxy, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Sweetheart Basket made from Select Pine wood:

Basket Finish:
1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
3) applied 3 coats of clear shellac (the sealer is clear shellac) full-strength from the can
4) painted the large hearts with red acrylic craft paint
5) applied Minwax Early American stain #230 and wiped most of it off, leaving just slight amounts in the crevices of the carving details
6) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

Handle Finish:
1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat
2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper
3) applied Minwax Natural #209
4) applied several spray coats of Krylon clear acrylic

Kenm810
01-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Perfect Timing, MT

I love the the Basket and especially lay-out of the Handle!
Valentines Day and our 38th Anniversary are only a day apart for Barb and I,

Thanks Again for your POM's

temler
01-24-2010, 07:17 AM
I love this one. you out did yourself. the handle it a great touch. Thanks for all you work.
Thanks
Tim

RayTrek
01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Michael,
Now that’s a sweet basket! Your creations are so cool, and filled with experience and imagination.
I am curies if the hearts are raised enough to put center line text on them?
Thanks again for another assume project.
Ray

henry1
01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Michael,
Now that’s a sweet basket! Your creations are so cool, and filled with experience and imagination.
I am curies if the hearts are raised enough to put center line text on them?
Thanks again for another assume project.
Ray
Iam curies also about center line would love to use:)

Kenm810
01-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Hope you don't mind Michael,

How about Black Chancery for a font :smile:

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psi...Black+Chancery (http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=Black+Chancery)

temler
01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Is subscribing for the project of the month newsletter worth the fee. I don't remember what it is right now, but is it worth it, what all do you get for the monthly fee or is it a yearly fee? Is all you get is a project a month and cheap rate phone calls to tech help. I think t get a copy of this wonderful pattern might just make it worth the money if it is not too high.
Thanks
Tim

dbfletcher
01-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Is subscribing for the project of the month newsletter worth the fee. I don't remember what it is right now, but is it worth it, what all do you get for the monthly fee or is it a yearly fee? Is all you get is a project a month and cheap rate phone calls to tech help. I think t get a copy of this wonderful pattern might just make it worth the money if it is not too high.
Thanks
Tim

I think you might be mixing/merging too seperate clubs/subscriptions. The POM give you one new project by Michael Tyler each month (I think he has done them all).. and it is the Carvers Club that gives you the lower rate on tech support and discount on labor.

In my opinion the POM subscription is well worth the $.

Hope that helps,

Doug Fletcher

SharonB
01-24-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm in my 2nd year with Michael's POM and I difinitely think it is worth every penny you invest. Can hardly wait each month to see what Michael will be sharing with us. SharonB

mtylerfl
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Thank you, everyone! I am very glad to hear you are enjoying the projects! I certainly enjoy creating them for you (and for me, too!).

...I am curies if the hearts are raised enough to put center line text on them?...Ray

I did keep the heart area flat, however it is 0.085" lower than the top surface of the board (i.e., the mill-grain heart border is 0.085" taller than the inset heart.) The heart is too low for Centerline to work well.

One idea to get Centerline to work is to draw an oval on the heart (or any shape) and make it a Zero-Carve Region so that you have a raised flat surface (flush with the surface of the board) to place your Centerline text.

The example pics shows my wife's initials and her name on an example oval shape, Zero-Carve Region, Medium Draft, Centerline text with a 60° V-bit. Not much room on the heart area...long names might be better indicated as initials instead.

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
HI
The pom is worth every penny. IF YOU WOULD SEE THE LOOK ON MY WIFE'S FACE EVERY TIME I DO ONE AND GIVE IT TO HER YOU WOULD PAY MORE.
JIM

Gean
01-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Is all I can say after seeing the pix of the Feb POM. Michael...you continue to amaze me (and cost me money in lumber). This looks like a REAL treat.

Thanks again.

P.S. Temler, the POM subscription is well worth the money...subscribe NOW..you won't be disappointed.

Gean

RayTrek
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Michael,
Thanks for getting back to us, that is a great work in personal touch for a great project the picture really explained how to, if you choose to add center line
Thanks again and Cheers ~ Ray