PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chuck

sparky
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Installed rock chuck today. I ran one project 1.5 hours. Machine is quieter,no vibration. Great job on chuck Ron. Highly recommend over QC.

will-munny
01-23-2010, 04:52 PM
I have had my machine since just before christmas. After reading and reading and reading the forums, i decided to get the rock also. I never ran a project with the QC so i cannot comment on its function. I have just over 30 hours on my machine and have had no problems so far. Very satisfied with the machine and the rock chuck I installed on day one.

sparky
01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I've had my machine about 2 years. My first QC was bad right out of the box. LHR sent replacement (no charge). I was having problems with bits sticking in QC and it not wanting to click down on bits. It finally started to BB holders, so I swapped to rock.

Scroll'ng Dave
01-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Any hints or words of wisdom you care to share about installing the Rock? Any complicated twists to be mindful of? I'm still waiting on my machine to be delivered, but like Mummy, was thinking of just ordering the Rock from the start. Did you get additional sleeves, bits or other accessories when you ordered? Even in pictures, the Rock looks more enduring than the OC

Dave

Scroll'ng Dave
01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Excuse me - will-munny ...not mommy!:confused:

will-munny
01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
No problem, Not my real name, just a clint eastwood fan. I had no problems removing the QC or installing the rock chuck. I watched rjustices video on youtube several times and referred to it as i was changing it and it went over with no problems. I have the rock with the 1/2 to 1/4 sleeve(i think thats right) and it works with the bits that came with the machine. the only problem was getting the bit adapters off. As many of the posts that talk about that, you need to heat them up a little before you try to get the allen screws out. Other than that, everything went pretty smooth. Hope that helps.

rjustice
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Dave,
Take the time to read the links for removing stubborn QC's just so that you know what you could get into if your machine has Red Loctite on it. If it happens to have Blue, then they are not bad at all to get off.

As will-money stated, also watch the video link on the Rock chuck install. The only thing that i would add, would be to also consider the 1/2 to 1/8 Rock sleeve. This will give you complete flexability with being able to hold any tools that either LHR, or I sell.

Thanks for your interest!... I really appreciate your business!

Ron

Scroll'ng Dave
01-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks Guys, I think I probably need to just get that d$$$ machine delivered - 'bout to go crazy waiting on it! Ron, I'm the same guy that sent you the e-mail the other day (and thanks for the response, by the way). I did watch the videos, and read an awful lot posted about the procedure ...until I actually see it, I'll have questions. I'll be patient and stop asking stupid questions - promise! But when I get my machine......

Dave

rjustice
01-24-2010, 06:55 AM
No Problem Dave.... I suffered the same anticipation that you are going through. I think it took 3 weeks for mine to come in... The next thing will be sleep deprivation. I was lucky to get more than 3 or 4 hours sleep per night the first month i had the machine. It is incredible to watch, and i have been in the CNC world for 30 years...

I hope you have the same enjoyment that many of us have experienced!

Best regards,

Ron

wally57
01-26-2010, 08:38 AM
I just ordered the rock myself after having lots of problems with the QC chuck. My problem with the QC was the set screws vibrated loose and did not allow me to remove the bits when done cutting. After spending lots of money on good wood and on new bits I finally gave up on the QC. After reading some of the post on here I am hopeful that this will solve alot of the problems I have been having. Wally57

Kenm810
01-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi Wally,

Welcome to the CW Forum, I think you'll be very pleased with the Rock Chuck when you get it.
Make sure you read the posts about removing the QC Chuck and look up the photos/video
that Ron has in his post about setting up the Rock Chuck.

wally57
01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
thanks for the info ken. I have been finding this forum very helpful and yes I have already viewed the videos on the rock and will be going over them again when I recieve it. If not for the QC the machine has been working great for me. I have done a couple of projects and love the results. I also have found that I am on a learning curve with the machine but as I use it more I get better at it.(other then the QC problems) Wally

Scroll'ng Dave
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks from me too, I’m sold! But Ron, don't get too excited about my order, I probably won't place it until next week sometime.

I will say that my shipment is en route and it looks like I'll have my CW before the weekend .....AMEN & HALLELUCAH!!!!! My anxiety has been running so high, it seems like I ordered it back when Carter was still President!

wally57
01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Received my rock today and got it installed with no problems and I'm back up and running and I am totally happy on the way it is running right now!!:-D

rjustice
01-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Received my rock today and got it installed with no problems and I'm back up and running and I am totally happy on the way it is running right now!!:-D

Hi Wally,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you were able to get the chucks swapped out trouble free!

Happy Carving

Ron

nissinxx
01-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I am considering getting the rock since i have wrecked many tool adapters and a couple qc chucks. I'm looking 4 some feed back ... Since it is not a cheep part. What are your thoughts ???

dbfletcher
01-30-2010, 09:16 PM
I am considering getting the rock since i have wrecked many tool adapters and a couple qc chucks. I'm looking 4 some feed back ... Since it is not a cheep part. What are your thoughts ???

I doubt you will find one bad comment about the rock on this site. I have installed it on both my machines and I can't say enought good things about it. Worth every penny in my book.

PS. I fly RC heli's too... I own a Shuttle Zxx a couple LHM Lite machines and a whole fleet of the Micro Heli-max Novus line of heli's.

Doug Fletcher

bowfingers
01-30-2010, 09:54 PM
The rock chuck would be a great addition to your carver, it will reduce vibrations and noise I would highly recommend it!

liquidguitars
01-31-2010, 10:21 AM

I own three Rocks.

LG