PDA

View Full Version : changing depths in the carve

Milanth
01-21-2010, 10:57 AM
My CW is changing depths 3.5" back in every pattern. It isn't much but it is enough to leave a line through the pattern. Any ideas of what might be causing this and how do I fix it?

PCW
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Do you have the extra 7" (3.5 per side) added to the board? Board may not be under the roller and tipping.

Milanth
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
no I do not have the extra 3.5" on the ends. The board is perfectly flat. It does every board that way. Every pattern I carve comes out that way. Some you can't see very well but some it looks horrible.

cnsranch
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Understand that without an additional 3.5" on each end of the board that's being carved, the board will not be supported from above with the roller that holds it down. There is the risk that the board will tip up somewhat when it leave one of the two rollers, resulting in a depth change - the bit doesn't move up when the board tips - that's what you're seeing.

It's not necessary to have the additional length, but there is risk. Many don't use the 3.5" "rule", and have no problems. Many use a carrier, or sled to mount the carving board on, and eliminate the risk without ending up with a bunch of cut-offs.

mtylerfl
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
no I do not have the extra 3.5" on the ends. The board is perfectly flat. It does every board that way. Every pattern I carve comes out that way. Some you can't see very well but some it looks horrible.

Please read the following Tips & Tricks article - it explains the "7-inch Rule". (You should always keep your projects captive under the rollers for best results on your projects and also to prevent bit breakage $$$.)

Here is the link:
- Tips & Tricks ISSUE 3 December 2007 "Handy Tips for Everyone!" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Dec07.pdf)

CarverJerry
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Building yourself a sled, carrier or jig, what ever you want to call it will help the tipping of your board. It also eliminates the 7" wasted material on the ends and allows you to carve many different size boards. I have come up with a jig that is adjustable and seems to work well. Got the idea from reading about it in the tips & tricks, well worth the time to read this and understand it.

AskBud
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
As a rule, every board needs support (top & bottom).
The two top rollers hold the board down on the sand paper belts and the Brass roller. If the board tilts up it may well leave the brass roller and abort or give false measurements, which could even cause a broken bit or worse.

The sand paper rollers are your reference table for the bottom. The next set of rollers to assist are the outer support wings, which you need to keep adjusted. For stock over 30 inches I recommend extra support rollers about 2, 5 8 feet, etc. These extra rollers will help keep the board from flexing and placing too much (any) upward pressure on the two top rollers.

If you truly need to conserve on stock, I/we recommend a "sled" to hold the piece. This way you may stay under the rollers and accomplish the carve in the small stock.

There are many posts with tips on both subjects. Here is a link on a multi-use sled. http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf

If you drop down to my signature area, below, you will see a link to "Downloads" that give you lots of info.
AskBud

Milanth
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I really don't think that is my problem. I was watching it closely today. At the point it changes depth the machine speeds up. That is exactly the time it changes the depth slightly. You can hear it speed up every time and today I watched and it coincides. I am not a CW expert but it seems the machine changing speeds is causing this problem. I only did some small projects today.

edzbaker
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Do one carve with the extra 7 inches on your board, and you can test your machine. If the lines are gone, it's the board leaving the rollers.

PCW
01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
If you want to conserve on wood you can hot glue or tape 3.5" scraps on the ends of the board. I prefer the hot glue method over the tape because there is no flexing with the glue. You don't need alot of hot glue maybe two or three spots on each end. Tape you may want to cover the entire seam.

You can use the same mpc file but when prompted choose center on length. Good Luck

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
The machine is monitoring the cut motor speed with the magnetic sensor. It is possible that when the board comes out from under the roller and moved up and away from the sand paper belts driving itself into the bit making the line the speed changes slightly. The Computer responds by increasings the speed of the motor thinking it encountered a denser wood....

Your not wanting to believe us about the wood only being held by one roller causes a line from the board level change. Like riding a bike with one hand.... The boards need to be held down by both rollers to stop that line problem.

My FRUGAL Use of WOOD has me taping a 4 inch piece of wood on some projects.

Trust US... WE Know.... Your line is caused by the board popping out from under the roller.... Nothing else... 3.5 inches is the key....

In the second picture I add a scrap piece of wood to stay under the rollers... In my designer artwork, I draw a box the size of the scrap wood and place it on the right side of Designer and start my real artwork to the left of the scrap block.

In picture 3... I got TOO Frugal and didn't move my artwork over far enough and it cut into my scrap board...

In pictures 4 and 5, I cut the blanks for 2 clocks and added blocks of wood to each end. Worked and Frugal.....

IF I had tried to cut the clocks out without the blocks of wood, when the board popped UP the 1/8 inch bit will SNAP..... Where have we see it posted.... "I broke the 1/8 inch bit AGAIN..... WHY?".....

This is a " " Free post...

AL

mtylerfl
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I really don't think that is my problem....

Hmmm.:rolleyes: Makes it kinda hard to help ya.

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Hmmm.:rolleyes: Makes it kinda hard to help ya.

Patience Grass Hopper..... Post On.... Post Off.....

AL

Milanth
01-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I will try adding the extra on my next carve and see. I see what you mean. I am a newbie but I thought it was the machine speeding up caused it. I trust ya'll. You have WAY more experience than me for sure. That is why I posted my problem :) Thanks for the pics and the explaination from all of you. I will let you know how it comes out.

mtylerfl
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I will try adding the extra on my next carve and see. I see what you mean. I am a newbie but I thought it was the machine speeding up caused it. I trust ya'll. You have WAY more experience than me for sure. That is why I posted my problem :) Thanks for the pics and the explaination from all of you. I will let you know how it comes out.

Good for you. We're hoping that will solve your problem once and for all.

Milanth
01-25-2010, 07:54 AM
You guys Rock!!! It worked great. I finally got to carve yesterday and the piece came awesome! I just glued the 3 1/2 " pieces on the end. I will do that from now on. Again thanks to everyone. Sorry my little hard headedness came out. :)

mtylerfl
01-25-2010, 08:17 AM
You guys Rock!!! It worked great. I finally got to carve yesterday and the piece came awesome! I just glued the 3 1/2 " pieces on the end. I will do that from now on. Again thanks to everyone. Sorry my little hard headedness came out. :)

That is great news! Very glad to hear it worked for you!