PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring with offset pattern

Aaron B
07-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I have a board with an oval drawn on it, I then moved the oval off then center of the board in the horizontal direction (vertical is centered). Next I put a shield in the center of the oval. Then I put a vine of the left side of the shield.

Is there a way to mirror that vine around the shield or center of oval. The mirror seems to take everthing off of the center of the board. If I can't do that is there a "tape measure" function that I could use to measure from the center of the shield each way to make sure the vines are space the same from the center of it.

I know I could move the oval back to the center and do all this then move it back, BUT I have other stuff to the left side of the oval now so I would have lots of overlapping patterns. Just trying to find another way.

Thanks in advance.

cmorlier
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
At this time, we do not support mirroring across anything except the center of the board. Also, there is no "tape measure" function for measuring between any two points directly. Both of these features are on the TODO list.

Probably the best way to do it at this time is to right click on the top vertex and select attach. With the attach tool, you can determine the distance of the center of the oval to the side or center of the board. If you don't wish to attach it, then you can simply hit escape without clicking to accept the attachment. Using the attach distances and a little math, you should be able to do what you want.

We agree this is not as easy as it should be, so we will be working on it for future releases.

Aaron B
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks Chris, I didn't want to go through a bunch of steps that I didn't need to if there was something I didn't know about. I will try the attach thing or lay in some construction lines and figure out even dimensions.

BobHill
07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Aaron,

I know you've probably thought of this, but even your project contains many "pieces" made up of different elements, I'd start each "piece" with it centered to your wood, then when finished put it aside or save it and then create your next piece. Once you have all your "pieces", that would be the time to put them together onto your wood project. And a thought of creating a ruler "piece" that you might also put into the project temporarily for use of placing things. Edit/board setting and enlarge just enough to include the ruler horizontally and vertically, then when done, reduce the board setting to your actual wood. Just a thought.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL

Aaron B
08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Bob I have finally got back to this. How do you save a "piece" or carving and then open a new one and put the saved carving on the new piece? I looked I just haven't seen any options for doing this, its probably right in front of me as always.

Thanks

BobHill
08-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Aaron,

Just like you said it: Open the piece you've already created and wish to use part of. then Open a new piece. You can open multiple pieces at the same time.Click the Windows Minimize icon (-) and you'll see both files minimized. Click the left (double page icon) and then maximize the work piece, select the object(s) you'd like to use in the new piece and when selected, Control C (copy). Now minimize and open the new piece again and Control V and you've pasted them and can reorient or resize them to suit your needs.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida