01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
The Villains
LHR
Some of those on the Forum

Those to the Rescue
Floyd Harris
Ron Justice
Some of those on the Forum

Well, here is my story. I have had my CarveWright for 11 months now and what a trip. First I'll explain why I have some of those on the Forum in the villains and rescue. If you are first starting on the forum you will find some of the Ole timers and great minds on the forum can make ya cuss. They make you feel like dog poop and have opinions worth the same. Now, for their advice on problems with the carvewright, absolutely PRICELESS! I think they forget that there is such a thing as a new user, someone new to woodworking, and some just not too computer literate. I know my experience at where I have used the “ “ marks when searching for something, and just cannot find what I think I am looking for. So, I go to the forum and ask. The first response from, that villain, is search for your answer (stupid). Well, I have already done that villain and am having trouble finding the correct answer, and YES I used the “ marks. Hang in there, because someone will come along and really help you out and get your problem solved. Even with my little experience I guarantee you I will try and send you to the right place for the answer or at least post the thread about your problem. But once again I really want to give credit to those on the forum that help us little guys out with their great knowledge about the ### machine.
First, I saw this machine in action many years ago at a woodworking show and fell in love with it. Thought maybe someday I just might get the money to get one. Dreamed about it for years and finally last year something came up and I was able to save ½ the money for it. Then got it through Lowe's with a 6 month no interest to finish payment. I finally got my dream machine!
Now to my machine. For the first 6 months I didn't really get to use it as much as I would like to have. Had many, very small, problems that a call to LHR didn't get it solved. Most of the problems were the LEARNING CURVE of getting to know this machine. A disappointment in sorts, but great experience. Then at 6 months and 50 hours on the carving motor my problems really began. The board sensor went out, OK LHR sent a new one. After installing that it turned out the roller sensor was bad. So LHR sent a new one. Now the machine has been down a month and after receiving the roller sensor assembly, putting that in, the machine still does not work. Now I'm at the end of my wits, call LHR and tell them I paid $2400, has only 50 hours on it, and after the 3rd try it still don't work. I want to send it back and you guys get if fixed and running. Well, it's gonna cost me like $168 to mail it in. Of course 8 days after ordering the return, nothing about being picked up. So, an e-mail to LHR and a day later a response that the next working day it will be picked up. Sounds like someone kinda left the ball hanging? So now the machine is gone for a few weeks and upon return of course the parts replaced are NOT covered under warranty. ( total cost little over $200) Now the machine has been down 2 months. Well, the machine worked like a charm---for 10 hours. During the last carve, and Christmas present, the bit cut up and out of alignment a real nice piece of Cherry. Call LHR do the test and the final answer is, Sometimes it just happens, try again. Try again and the same results and another ruined piece of great Cherry. This time with LHR, ya need a new QC and the parts needed to change the chuck. Of course the QC is NOT covered under warranty. (Another $130) Get them and at the first try with 2 yanks the square tool needed to change the chuck breaks. (Order 2 more another $30) Now I have had it and the machine has been down 3 ½ months. So, I finally give up and put the dang thing up for sale. Even at that no luck, so after many reads about my problem I really figure that I need the ROCK CHUCK to fix this thing along with a vacuum system hooked up to it. Will give it another try. So I order the Rock from Ron and install it. (another $150) Guess what, after 4 carves not 1 problem, shut down, or any problem what so ever. So I go ahead and order a DC from Floyd, install it. ($55) Just now I completed a 7 hour carve, which was my 7th carve since the ROCK, and again I have NOT had 1 problem, shut down, or any problem what so ever. I would sure like an explanation from someone at LHR. I have never ever been able to carve 2 projects without something going WRONG! I am so glad I ended up sticking with it and the great advice from the forum. Already got in mind what to carve next. Just wish there was a better learning system on the software for designing stuff. Yes, I am one of those that computers are way over my head, but I will learn. Thanks to everyone who helped out and got this machine going. So, if ya gonna get one of these machines, you need to learn how to take it apart. Not really too difficult when Robert, at LHR helps. Best of luck to everyone NEW to the DRAGON MACHINE.
Smoken D

scamp62
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
God, your story is so close to my experience !!
LHR would really benefit form making some kind of deal with
Ron Justice (Rock Chuck), and FW Harris (RingNeckBlues) Dust Collection system
I think they would have far less pissed off customers !!!!

luckettg
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I have seen what you are referring to and had similar experiences both trying to unsuccessfully deal with the LHR Customer Service (big waste of time IMHO), and getting the problems solved here on the forums after getting past the "just do the search" foolishness. I always try searching first as it is faster and I do not need to wait for someone to help me, but this search engine on this forum truly sucks. Putting the Rock on and the dust collector has been a wonderful improvement for my machine. I too got tired of nurse maiding it and just set it aside for almost a year before deciding to try the Rock chuck. The jury is still out but I am liking what I am seeing my CW operate now, and LHR has made great strides getting manuals out. Those should have been out when they first started selling the CW but they didn't. Thanks be to God for the dedicated gurus here in these forums or my machine would still not be running from the day I took it out of its box.:)

dbfletcher
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
My only comment is that Im a little suprised that several of you have commented that the "norm" seems to be members telling you to use the search function. It's been my experience that typically, they will give you hints on what search terms may better serve you needs as well as 2-3 relevent links posted in the message.

Almost without exception, if the users only has a few posts, I see members going way out of their way to make sure the user gets the information they are looking for. We were all newbies once.. and I dont think any of us have forgotten how painfull that can be when first starting out with the machine.

I think it is also fair to say that most of us here have a love/hate relationship with our machines.

I am glad you are working through your problems and hope you find the pendulum swinging more to the love side than the hate in the near future.

Doug Fletcher

Woodpecker
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Welcome, we all are in a different world and it is wonderful. The learning curve is something else. I am just so glad that I wasn't with Smith-Corona Typerwriters when this new stuff is available. Take your time, relax, and spend the time getting involved with the new world. It is so fast that you may only find a comfort zone and do what you enjoy. These MIT experts and NASA science experts will only ruin the fun for us. Ignore them, enjoy, and don't worry. You probably know something that they can't do! Just think for a moment about hitching a horse to a wagon then using a car without air conditioning or power steering or power brakes. Now you can sit and play on a computer, draw a design, put it in a machine. Now let the machine do the work as you test the Merlot. Now just how good is that?
Woodpecker.

luckettg
01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Darn it! That's what I have been missing. The Merlot. Come to think of it, some medicinal brandy should work nicely too.:p

robbrigg2
01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Believe me I feel your pain, and I also know what DB is talking about... been there, done that....

What I can say on the issue is that on the side of LHR is that their owner is committed to making things better (I've met and talked with him several times now) and I truly believe he is. But the frustration at the start can be incredible.

What I think your talking about regarding the search engine comments I've seen myself. But it almost always comes from the same people. I know, if you have been on here for awhile, the same questions keep coming back and it can get old... just when you think you have someone straight someone else raises the same question... but instead of giving a flippant answer why not choose not to answer? That's what a great deal of people do anyway. Example, I asked for input on a design tonight... as of the current time more then 13 downloads in 20 minutes with only 2 people giving the asked for input.... why because the others had nothing to say... seems to work for them... why not for the people that think it gets old answering questions for newbies?

Digitalwoodshop
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes, I am guilty of making posts with instructions to use the " "....

When I first tried to search for stuff it would not work.... It was a while before someone posted use " "... Then it worked. So I add the hint that helped me.

I have been very busy with my business lately and have used the "If you search for "Topic Asked" a few times with some hints.... As a lot of my older posts have lots of pictures of what is being asked plus other members additions to the post. There are about a dozen core questions that are asked over and over and I have posted the same pictures over and over...

I searched your 23 posts looking for where I may have blown off a repair question you had, gave up where I saw you were selling your machine 4 weeks ago.

Good Luck,

AL

Woodpecker
01-20-2010, 09:18 PM
When you start, you just can't keep up with the experts. Example; I joined a camera club recently. They are and always will be over my head. Some are experts. I am only a current-spert. Sometimes it is better to recognize yourself and enjoy. The wonderful world of this stuff is you could invent something new and wonderful without even knowing it. That is the beauty of not having the formulated education with the background of information required to do something like they tell you. You are at liberty to experiment and invent at your leisure. With a good beverage, my preference is merlot. Some prefer Brandy, others scotch, and so on. Don't get so serious that you fail to enjoy!
Woodpecker.

Woodpecker
01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
How do you re-lax? Must you be lax first? How about re-tire? That sounds like something you do to your car. The Carvewright Machine is a new thing for most of us. Just think no hammers, no hand held carving tools and hundreds of hours of carving.{NO Blisters} When they come out with a remote controle I may be the second one to purchase it. I love this new world of lazy. I put this little thing in a big thing and sit and watch it do the work. I drink and relax and the worst possible thing that could go wrong is un-plug the thing. If it breaks they can fix it, if it works your friends and family are impressed. You get all of the credit and they think you are smart. Now with a great drink in your hands and a smile on your face with the confidence that everyone thinks you are the greatest carver on the planet, How does it get any better than that?
Woodpecker.

CarverJerry
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm with ya Woodpecker. As a newbie myself, lost most of the time, but the learning curve never stops. Most of the 'ol timers here are very helpfull. I can't express my thanks to these guys enough. I know I ask some really stupid questions and if sometimes I would just take that drink and think about what it is I'm in need of, I'm sure to stumble upon it. Again my special thanks to all the people who help each other out on this forum. :D

fwharris
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Smoken D,

Very glad to see the right combo :) is working out for you and that you did not give up on the machine. I can not speak for the Rock (still using my QC) but I do know that the dust elimination/removal has made a large improvement in my machine performance. Thanks for the great comments. You to Scamp!!

Yes Newbies some times get the short answer " ". Been there done that and have had it happen to me. I see it most often when the question raised is covered in the owners manual. Could that be a clue that it was not read? Possible or it might be just info over load and the small things get passed by or over looked! Great part is though that I have yet to see a question go unanswered. I have seen some questioners (is that a word?) never come back and post if that solved the problem though. Probably one of those "guests" that lurk in the background!

Yes the "SEARCH" function is a hard one to learn/figure out/wade through. How you word your search makes a difference. I do not think it is really the search feature itself but more do to the information over load. Having the same topic posted in so many different ways and in different threads probably does not help. Trying to wade through 10 pages is not fun!

Rapidroy
01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
I bought a sears recondition one, It wouldn't turn on right out of the box I posted on this forum and got replies like "read the manual" I can tell you replys like that don't help. well someone replyed with a shot in the dark to remove the bottem and poke around, and that was it, a plug was unpluged. So then I was off carving, broke a bit within hours of owning it (I didn't tape the board down good and the peice kicked up) I then tried to get new bits at sears but no luck, sooooo since I really don't like not having a choice of where to spend my hard earned money (ie quick chuck) I got a RockChuck and have never had a problem (knock on wood) I haven't look to see how many hours on my CW but I'm having a great time with it and make'n some extra cash too.

Smoken D
01-21-2010, 02:01 PM
About the " " marks and what cracks me up is when I search on a question and receive around 20 or so topics on a particular item. And the person that asked the question is advised to "search". That is how I got there was by searching and the first answer is telling you to search.:rolleyes: So, when you search the most common answer is to search for your answer.:confused:
But at heart, I really love this machine especially now that it works.:mrgreen:

cnsranch
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
About the " " marks and what cracks me up is when I search on a question and receive around 20 or so topics on a particular item. And the person that asked the question is advised to "search". That is how I got there was by searching and the first answer is telling you to search.:rolleyes: So, when you search the most common answer is to search for your answer.:confused:
But at heart, I really love this machine especially now that it works.:mrgreen:

If you're as confused about searching a subject as I am about what you just said, I understand your confusion :mrgreen: