PDA

View Full Version : Apple Box Project

mark3
01-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to the Carvewright. I have managed some carvings that I was successful with, but when I tried Jeff Birt's Apple Box, it was probably the first two sided carving I have done. It started carving on the back side, and did a good job. Then I flipped it end for end keeping the left and right sides as they were, and started the carving again. It carved the inside of the top of the box on the wrong side (where the bottom of the box was) and cut out the bottom of the box where the top was. I didn't believe it could do this, so had it carve a new board, with the same results. So then I went into the designer software and switched the sides with the cutout for the bottom where the inside top should be and the carved out top over the bottom of the box. I hope this isn't too hard to follow. It looked like a mess in the software, with carved holes in the box where there shouldn't have been any, but this was what I seen when I carved it. So I loaded the program and carved a board. It carved it properly. What's going on? Is there something I am missing?

atauer
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
The way that you flipped the board was the problem. Instead of flipping it end over it, you should have flipped it left to right.

Michael Tyler, I believe, wrote an article discussing how to flip boards when doing a two-sided project. You can read it at:

http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept09.pdf

JMD
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to the Carvewright. I have managed some carvings that I was successful with, but when I tried Jeff Birt's Apple Box, it was probably the first two sided carving I have done. It started carving on the back side, and did a good job. Then I flipped it end for end keeping the left and right sides as they were, and started the carving again. It carved the inside of the top of the box on the wrong side (where the bottom of the box was) and cut out the bottom of the box where the top was. I didn't believe it could do this, so had it carve a new board, with the same results. So then I went into the designer software and switched the sides with the cutout for the bottom where the inside top should be and the carved out top over the bottom of the box. I hope this isn't too hard to follow. It looked like a mess in the software, with carved holes in the box where there shouldn't have been any, but this was what I seen when I carved it. So I loaded the program and carved a board. It carved it properly. What's going on? Is there something I am missing?

When you do a two sided carve, flip the board front to back NOT end to end.
Keep the left side on the left and the right on the right. I hope this makes so kind of since.

Happy carving,
JMD (John)

mark3
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
The way that you flipped the board was the problem. Instead of flipping it end over it, you should have flipped it left to right.

Michael Tyler, I believe, wrote an article discussing how to flip boards when doing a two-sided project. You can read it at:

http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept09.pdf

Thanks for the input. I was interpreting the instructions wrong. My confusion came from the instructions: The machine will carve the backside of the project first and then prompt you to turn the board over. If you are looking from the front of the machine the board gets flipped F-R just like the board is
flipped in Designer (that is the left and right sides stay in the same place.)

Because I generally think as the infeed end of the machine to be the front, but getting that wrong makes the left and right the wrong left and right. Anyways I've got it straight now. Thanks a lot.

Pratyeka
01-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Lot of people get confused about what is the front of the machine.
The keypad is the front...
What brings even more confusion is that the front of the machine (keypad side) is the top of the pattern as seen in designer. So as you look at the front of the machine, the pattern is carved upside-down. It would have simplified things a lot if the pattern would carve with the bottom near the keypad side, IMO.

dbfletcher
01-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I have to admit... the apple box project was one of the first one I tried to do with my machine. I also flipped the board the wrong way the first time... even after I had read the instructions a dozen or so times. I'm betting most of us have made this mistake at least once.

Doug Fletcher