PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can I do this?

mrose0222
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new here and hubby and I are thinking of buying a Carvewright machine to do some work to our house(for trim, built-ins and mantel work). I know it would be wonderful on these items. But had an idea to work on some drift wood from Lake Superior. Is it possible? Obviously drift wood is not flat and there are different sizes and shapes. I would love to do this and really have never seen anyone doing anything like this other than by hand. Would I have to shave of the back for it to be flat?

Thank you so much,
we are looking forward to any comments you may have.
Marc and Meghan

dbfletcher
01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
You should be able to do this if you mount the driftwood on a sled with rails prior to loading it the machine. The machine does require the loaded peice to have a flat bottom (the sled) and the consistent height (the rails). The in your MPC you would have to some how take in to account the actual shape of your drift wood to apply carvings to it correctly. You might be able to use the scanning probe to help with this.

I would think someone here has tried something similair and will chime in with their experiences.

Doug Fletcher

DocWheeler
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Marc and Meghan,

Welcome to the forum, the possibilities are limited only by your imagination.

With the use of a jig (sled), you can load an irregular surface. The problem would be putting a carving on an irregular surface if that was your intent. Not saying it can't be done, but it would take some thought.

The total height would have to be five inches or less including the sled.

edit: Doug, I must be getting slow!

PCW
01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I would think that if the top is not somewhat flat the bit would bottom out in its travel (even trying to measuring the board). I don't think it will work.

mrose0222
01-18-2010, 10:25 AM
hi everyone! thank you for the quick response.
thats a great idea! i would have to assume that from time to time you have to think outside the box to get to your desired results.
are the latest machines better than the previous versions? and is there any advantage to buy one from carvewright vs sears or vice versa? and are there any "upgrades" one should consider when purchasing?
thanks in advance and sorry for moving off topic, marc and meghan

TIMCOSBY
01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
to flatten the bottom a router in a sled would be quicker. the machines are the same. sears has a better warranty i think. they have made changes little by little but they are still lemons out there. when you get one i would check the runout on the bit to see if its not too bad. people post here with there problems most of the time so you might take it that it has lots of problems but consider the amount of machines out there and you will see it is miniscule in comparison.
read the help file that is in the software it may not be totally up to date but it will help imensly. welcome to the carving madness.