PDA

View Full Version : I saw his on my usual form I go to

will george
01-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Fine WoodWorking

Power Tools and Machinery..

My reply was..

What a bag of worms you just opened in here in Knots!

Yes, I have a CarveWright.
Yes, I use it.
Yes, I love it.
Yes, I hate it(sometimes).

My comments would mean little to anyone. My only reason for purchasing it was to make carvings for my two Chinese style canopy beds for my precious little China ladies. They are very special to me. I babysat them all day, every day untill they went off to school. What this old man learned from little children....

I consider myself a 'reasonably Fine woodworker?' However, my carving skills are.. Well, to put it in one printable word, sucks... I can do ONE reasonable carving if I put a month or two of work into it. I then find it IMPOSSIBLE to make another that matches it.. Maybe nobodies do, or even should. It is a special skill I do not have. I'm always amazed at folks that make a set of carved anything that look matched!

It has, for me, served it's intended purpose. Some very expensive wood carved and I could trash the machine and still be happy that I got it. Like most woodworking or other (life in general?) there always seems to be a Love/Hate relationship.

Many would think my purchase very, very stupid. I live on a fixed income these days (NOT alot of money). Hell, I will not live forever, and the smiles from the girls when seeing their new beds made the time to build, expense of the wood, expense of the CarveWright, Me pulling out my hair.. Well worth it.

I would suggest that you join this and not listen to me...

http://forum.carvewright.com//

I find these folks 'vent' on their problems with the machine and very willing to share. Many even LOVE it!

So my bed carvings became VERY expensive but worth ever penny.

Kenm810
01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Will, Thank you for sharing your comments and feeling towards this forum and your carving machine,
-- and why, even with it problems and hic-ups it means so much to you.
I think we all know it's often a love/hate relationship, but when they're carving properly it's sheer Bliss. :cool:

Thanks Again

Old Salt
01-17-2010, 06:42 PM
True I have had three CW's so far and at times think I need another and at times think I have to many know.
:-D