PDA

View Full Version : Now what did i do wrong?

wasacop75
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I have been trying to carve a couple of different projects this today with no success. First one started then just before it finished the last two letters were very widely spaced. Meaning the d was about 4 inches long.

Then i tried another piece of wood from the same board. I kept getting a board error. Yes, i did put tape on both the bottom over the roller and down the middle on the top.
And i get a tracking error.

Then i said the heck with that and tried a different one.
It measured the board and when i told it to center project on the board it started almost 1 inch from the end of the board.
It is a 36 inch carving of 1x4 on a 48 inch board. Plenty on both ends....

I will attach so someone can tell me that i have indeed gone crazy.

It seems these problems have been creeping up on me. Have started having an error of some kind the last few carvings. The garage is above 55, but i can always put a heater on the machine if needed to get it warmed up.
I have carved in the garage when it was colder and didnt get the error message.

I am so confused.....

Digitalwoodshop
01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
If your getting a stretch or error in the board length then it is all about the brass roller...

The board is loosing contact with the brass roller...

I had it happen to me EVEN using masking tape when the sand paper belt under the muffler moved toward the keypad and rolled under. The LUMP of sand paper raised the wood so the brass roller had a hard time making contact...

I looked at the sand paper belt at the front side and I could NOT see it rolled over but it was MISSING on the far side.... SO I CUT the belt about 3/4 inch on the keypad side and pulled it to rip off the strip.... And yes it was rolled over.... See Picture.....

The machine will work with a slice of belt missing.....

Then there are a few other things.... Long board and no axillary rollers.... In feed and out feed tables not adjusted to correct height... Board bows or droops and center looses contact with brass roller.

Head Pressure, Worn Belts, Sawdust buildup on board acting as a speed bump.

Good Luck,

AL

wasacop75
01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, the belts are new, and i just cleaned the machine before use. even did some lubricating.

Head pressure is good, outfeeds are there, even extra rollers so that there wouldnt be any problems with the longer boards..

I will go back and try again in the morning. I am going to reclean again and check the manual to see if there is anything else to do.

Thanks.

Ike
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Have you checked the rubber O-ring on the brass roller? It may need to be replace?

Ike

DocWheeler
01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Have you checked the rubber O-ring on the brass roller? It may need to be replace?

Ike

There is also a short "damper" (looks like a piece of rubber tubing) under the brass roller assembly that often gets misplaced!

wasacop75
01-17-2010, 07:37 PM
So thats where that goes....

I took it apart, cleaned everything and saw that part disappear in the vacum cleaner. i thought it was important. So i guess i will put it back to gether tomorrow..

I took the belt off closest to the roller and trimmed it a little so that it is nowhere close to the roller and rubber o ring. The ring was nowhere close to where it was supporst to be..it kept getting rolled up behind the roller......

But i was able to do the two carvings i had and now tomorrow, more of the same..

TIMCOSBY
01-18-2010, 12:22 AM
is on the keyboard side of the knurled part of the roller.

Kenm810
01-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Sometimes an "O" Ring that is warn, damaged, or has a flat spot will
wonder out of its slot and end up behind the guide or missing completely. :???:

dcalvin4
01-18-2010, 09:32 AM
There is also a short "damper" (looks like a piece of rubber tubing) under the brass roller assembly that often gets misplaced!
Hi Doc What is this rubber tube damper? when cleaning i found a black maybe 1/4 long 3/16? tube , couldnt figure out where it was supposed to go thought maybe it fell off my shelf an into the cw. But am having a prob.keeping the mach centered [as in calibration]. 2nd problem i have when cutting out with 1/8 bit , each pass around the cutout the first cut is on target, the second pass is shifted to the left the width of the bit and the third is shifted the same [stair stepping] I have calibrated with 36 in bd with tape on bottom contacting the brass roller ,made sure the in and outfeed rollers touch,head pressure 85 lbs .As far as the stair stepping goes i thought the 1/8 bit could be dull but dont have another to try, do you think my little damper tube could cause this? thanks Denny

Digitalwoodshop
01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
That damper helps push the brass roller up to meet the board. Yes it can cause it...

AL

DocWheeler
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for responding Al, I have not been on the forum much today.

dcalvin4, That piece of rubber sits centered on a screw-head if I remember correctly. It is shown on the exploded view of the machine.

TIMCOSBY
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Sometimes an "O" Ring that is warn, damaged, or has a flat spot will
wonder out of its slot and end up behind the guide or missing completely. :???:

i was afraid by his wording that he might think it went on the front grove. do you think they originally intended two rings?

Kenm810
01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Tim, sorry for any confusion

The photo shows the "O" ring in the proper slot,
behind or under the guide refers to it getting jamed through
the narrow space toward the key pad side of the machine.