PDA

View Full Version : Question on RC installation

SeaCapt97
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
I installed my Rock Chuck and did a carve. VERY pleased with quality and noise level while carving the MTyler Wilderness Clock. I did have a problem, though. I will save you the long story. Is the gap between the 2 parts of the Rock Chuck normal? I think I have the proper gap at the top. (Tightened snuggly when the top half bottomed out on threads) But when installing the bottom half of the chuck it is very hard to turn right away, (Not at all like the installation video). I would expect the two parts to mate tightly together like they do off of the machine. I've attached a close up photo. The gap at the bottom is what concerns me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

rjustice
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
I installed my Rock Chuck and did a carve. VERY pleased with quality and noise level while carving the MTyler Wilderness Clock. I did have a problem, though. I will save you the long story. Is the gap between the 2 parts of the Rock Chuck normal? I think I have the proper gap at the top. (Tightened snuggly when the top half bottomed out on threads) But when installing the bottom half of the chuck it is very hard to turn right away, (Not at all like the installation video). I would expect the two parts to mate tightly together like they do off of the machine. I've attached a close up photo. The gap at the bottom is what concerns me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,
Everything looks correct. It is a sure sign that something is not right if there is NO Gap between the Bit adapter and the locking collar... It would indicate that the locking collar was not screwed on far enough in the first step.

Possibly the reason that it was hard to screw the bit adapter in place was if you tightened the locking collar too tight on the spindle. The blind thread would slightly squeeze down on the spindle bore, and cause the hole to be a little tighter than necessary. If you felt the bit adapter bottom out and tighten up, everything is fine.

Your installation looks just like it should!... Great job!

Happy Carving,

Ron

SeaCapt97
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the quick response Ron. I do, however, have one complaint about the Rock Chuck. When I leave my machine carving in the basement, I can barely hear it at the computer in the family room anymore! :D

rjustice
01-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the quick response Ron. I do, however, have one complaint about the Rock Chuck. When I leave my machine carving in the basement, I can barely hear it at the computer in the family room anymore! :D

I will graciously take that complaint Bill... I am glad you are happy...

Ron