PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Cutting and Swing Out Arm Problems

archy
01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Guys, I'm having cutting problems as well. When I set up the machine to carve then cut out a pattern it cuts carves the pattern ok, and it will cut out the pattern too. But when it's going through the board measurement process it measures the length ok but then right after it measures the width the bit will travel to the far left (control panel side) and plunge down below the board bottom surface, sometimes while the cutting bit is still spinning after the motor check. It has even drilled through the brass wheel bracket (3 little arms extending from the left to the brass wheel.) Then it will go to the right of the board and plunge below the board bottom surface again right where the release button to the sliding bar is and then once again right on top of the sliding bar. Can anyone please help? Oh, and also when the swing out arm comes out the carving bit will never touch the surface of the swing out arm but the cutting bit will. I am using the rock chuck which I highly recommend but it doesn't matter how I try to adjust the bit in the chuck. Could one problem be connected with the next? Let me mention here to that the z truck clearance problem that some of us are having is caused by the right off switch wiriing on the right side. I finally had to lengthen the wires and reroute them along the top of the cover and tie them with zip ties to small holes I drilled in the cover. And also watch for the clearance between the back of the z truck motor and the top cover. My z motor was rubbing against the top cover. I tried readjusting the cover, but finally ended up having to cut out that corner of the top on the far right. Hope this helps and sorry for the long winded note. Again I hope someone out there can help me with my problems as CW really wasn't able to tell me what to do except to force the carving head down onto the swing out arm when it tries to touch it thus retraining the carving head. It didn't work. THANKS SO MUCH GUYS. These forums have sure been a big help. Archy

cnsranch
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
right after it measures the width the bit will travel to the far left (control panel side) and plunge down below the board bottom surface, sometimes while the cutting bit is still spinning after the motor check. It has even drilled through the brass wheel bracket (3 little arms extending from the left to the brass wheel.) Then it will go to the right of the board and plunge below the board bottom surface again right where the release button to the sliding bar is and then once again right on top of the sliding bar.Archy

archy

I can't provide you with a resolution, but I do know you've got problems.

First, after you've inserted the proper bit, the machine will "spin up" the bit, then, after the spin-up has STOPPED,the bit will travel to the keypad side and drop down to get the thickness measurement of the board - but it should never be spinning - something's bad wrong, and needs to be addressed before you go further.

Second, after the bit's measured the thickness of the board, it should go to the far side and touch the "bit flag" - not drop to the sliding bar - that's another bad thing that needs to be fixed, and I bet it's related to the first issue.

Finally, the bit flag should come all the way out for each bit to touch - if it's not, there are a bunch of fixes for that - other than manually propping it out (I'm not a real fan of that, although I've done it before), the pivot point of the flag needs to be cleaned and lubed (from the top AND bottom of the flag).

Your first two problems seem pretty serious to me, and indicate some kind of controller issue, but I'm by no means an expert - I'm sure you'll get some other advice shortly, but they need to be addressed before you do some permanent damage.

dbfletcher
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
archy

First, after you've inserted the proper bit, the machine will "spin up" the bit, then, after the spin-up has STOPPED,the bit will travel to the keypad side and drop down to get the thickness measurement of the board - but it should never be spinning - something's bad wrong, and needs to be addressed before you go further.

Hmmm... now you have me worried. On both of my machines the bit is not completely stopped BEFORE it starts to the keypad side. I too have had it drill holes ont he plastic triangle part by the brass roller. When I got my first machine back in 2007 and was having issues LHR asked me to look there and told me just to fill in the hole with epoxy. I have done that a number of times so I didnt seem like it was out of the norm. Now I just normally hit "stop" right after the motor check and when the check has spun down hit continue at let it finished going to the keypad side. But like I said above.. on both of my machines, the bit will never stop on its own by the time it gets there.... mind you.. the motor isnt still spinning...it it just inertia from the chuck.

Is this true for everyone else that the chuck stops before it starts moving to the keypad side?

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Doug - your statement that the bit's still spinning from inertia as it travels to the keypad side is probably more accurate than mine - the point is that the "step" of spinning-up has been completed before it begins the next - that's splitting hairs, and probably not technically correct, but my bit is always winding down as it moves to the next step. It only takes a second to wind down and has always stopped way before getting to the end of it's travel to the keypad side.

Icutone2
01-15-2010, 01:40 PM
As Jerry has said, my machines stops spinning just before going down to set board thickness.
Lee

Metalhead781
01-16-2010, 02:58 PM
It seams to me that the cut motor has an electronic break. When power is given to the the motor the break is released. Most power tools have this. If not the blade or bit would take too long to slow and stop. This creates a safety issue. If the motor does have an electronic break and it has failed it would not slow the bit down which may leave it still spinning when the controller thinks it's stopped and plunges for other parts. If the machine drills a hole in something obviously it doesn't get the correct depth and possibly the incorrect position of the z axis which could mess up the board thickness measurement along with the bit position. I would contact LHR for this. They might not have electronic breaks but if they do it probably means a new cut motor.

Just my two cents on the subject. I haven't run into this issue as of yet but knowing tool and machines it seams to me to be an important question to ask. A lot simpler then a controller issue as well.

best luck
MH