PDA

View Full Version : Creating a scalable Pattern

Capt Bruce
01-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I hope you can help a Newbie with this.
Working from the imported DHS Logo I created a scalable pattern.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/department-of-homeland-security-log.jpg
PROBLEMS:
a. The fine details disappear when used in any carving less than about 6 inches square.
b. The design creates too many thin walls and or lettering that breaks down when carved by a 1/16" bit.

I've tried to cure this by copying the key details with 60 degree V Bit lines, circles, arcs and splines to recreate the design as an outline. Then I overlayed each letter with a Centerline letter of the same angle and size. All of this was created on a 15" square board space.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/TwoSeals.png

The imported seal on the left and the hand traced V-Bit details on the right.

And now my NEWBIE question that I have not been able to answer based upon searching the Forum.

1. Can I somehow extract a scaleable Pattern from the details of the right hand seal and include the Centerline letters of the name in that same pattern?
2. If not as one total design, then perhaps as one for the lines that can be overlaid with the Centerline text since they will both carve only at the board surface level.

I'm trying to develop this so it can be used from about 3" Dia. up to the illustrated 10-12 " Dia.

I've expermented with several trials but they all end up telling me I'm trying to incorporate non-pattern elements even when I eliminate the lettering.

I've attached the file of the design elements hoping somebody brighter than me can help figure out a way to do this. Thanks

Capt Bruce

hogiewan
01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I vectorized that image with vector magic for you. If you have Centerline, you can make a font with some other software or you can use the png I uploaded for a larger size with less loss of detail.

http://i.imgur.com/rX0If.png (large raster image)

DocWheeler
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Capt Bruce,

As you found out, it isn't easy sometimes to do what you are attempting to do. A work-around would be to make what you have into a Group and simply grab a corner of the Group and make it the size that you want.

Nice work in creating the new seal, the only thing that needed tweaking were the periods after the U and S.

Here is my attempt to get what you were after.

will george
01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
DOC. you are something.. You come up with so many helpful posts.

Maybe why your screen name ID is Doc?

I love using centerline text but I sure wish I could set the depth of cut for the V bit. Maybe there is a way but I get inconsistent results.

DocWheeler
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you Will,

I will never reach the level of KenM or Al Who (or Jerry or BJ or Floyd or .....), but it pleases me to add what little I know to the group.

will george
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I will never reach the level of KenM or Al Who (or Jerry or BJ or Floyd or

You hold your own and then some!

Kenm810
01-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Guys as to the Level we're all at is not important,
But the willingness of the fine folks on this forum
to Learn and Share most definitly is! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Capt Bruce
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Doc Wheeler and All,

Thanks for your prompt and helpful replies. These will give me several new routes to try tonight and to see how they work.

Hogiewan, Yes I do have Centerline. Can you guide me to a program that would help me "make a font" as you described. I recall reading elsewhere on the Forum about creating emblems or drawings as Dingbat characters for quicker carving with Centerline but I'm not sure this is what you were leading to. I will most certainly try the PNG you were kind enough to provide.

I cannot say thanks better than Kenm810 and I really appreciate you all serving as Mentors for us new guys and gals in the Forum.
Fair winds,

Bruce

fwharris
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Thank you Will,

I will never reach the level of KenM or Al Who (or Jerry or BJ or Floyd or .....), but it pleases me to add what little I know to the group.

Ken,

Do not sell your self short on your level of knowledge and helpfulness on the forum! And thanks for putting me in the group, I just share what I have learned from them (and you)...:)

Digitalwoodshop
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Ken,

You are Far and Above me in SO many ways with respect to Patterns and Designer Manipulation.... We all have out strengths and yours comes out in all the help post you and many have done.

There are so many HERO'S here with so much talent and SO willing to share so freely.

This forum paid for by LHR is a real ASSET to LHR and all the members.... Too bad you are not required to sign up to the Forum to activate your Designer License... I believe that there are SO MANY that never have looked here..... So many that in frustration took the machine back to Sears or wherever and just posted a sore looser comment on the Sears or Amazon sites.

GOOD JOB KEN !!!! Take a BOW.

AL

hogiewan
01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
alright, boys - get a room

cnsranch
01-15-2010, 03:57 PM
It's the Love Boat all over again:mrgreen:

Kenm810
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Sounds to me a little more like a, "Mutual Admiration Society"

An informal relationship,
in which two or more people have strong feelings of esteem for each other
and often exchange comments or compliments.
The term may signify either genuine or pretended admiration,
as in; - Each of them praising the other's knowledge or skill. :wink:

fwharris
01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Sounds to me a little more like a, "Mutual Admiration Society"

An informal relationship,
in which two or more people have strong feelings of esteem for each other
and often exchange comments or compliments.
The term may signify either genuine or pretended admiration,
as in; - Each of them praising the other's knowledge or skill. :wink:

BINGO!!! Without this place and each other we would be scratching various parts of our anatomy trying to make this thing work!

:mrgreen:

Digitalwoodshop
01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't forget about this website that can help....

http://www.says-it.com/seal/

AL

bjbethke
01-15-2010, 11:52 PM
I hope you can help a Newbie with this.
Working from the imported DHS Logo I created a scalable pattern.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/department-of-homeland-security-log.jpg
PROBLEMS:
a. The fine details disappear when used in any carving less than about 6 inches square.
b. The design creates too many thin walls and or lettering that breaks down when carved by a 1/16" bit.

I've tried to cure this by copying the key details with 60 degree V Bit lines, circles, arcs and splines to recreate the design as an outline. Then I overlayed each letter with a Centerline letter of the same angle and size. All of this was created on a 15" square board space.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/TwoSeals.png

The imported seal on the left and the hand traced V-Bit details on the right.

And now my NEWBIE question that I have not been able to answer based upon searching the Forum.

1. Can I somehow extract a scaleable Pattern from the details of the right hand seal and include the Centerline letters of the name in that same pattern?
2. If not as one total design, then perhaps as one for the lines that can be overlaid with the Centerline text since they will both carve only at the board surface level.

I'm trying to develop this so it can be used from about 3" Dia. up to the illustrated 10-12 " Dia.

I've expermented with several trials but they all end up telling me I'm trying to incorporate non-pattern elements even when I eliminate the lettering.

I've attached the file of the design elements hoping somebody brighter than me can help figure out a way to do this. Thanks

Capt Bruce
I made you a MPC in a Vector carving. It uses the 60 degrees bit. The depth is set at 0.065. To change the size of the carving or make it carve at a different depth, you need to click on the board (NOT in the pattern) and "Select All” then you can change the size and the depth. Hope this helps the image is set at 3 inches - the Squares are 1 inch.

bjbethke
01-16-2010, 12:20 AM
This is what it looks like at 12 inches with a depth of 0.125 inches.

Capt Bruce
01-16-2010, 09:01 PM
I vectorized that image with vector magic for you. If you have Centerline, you can make a font with some other software or you can use the png I uploaded for a larger size with less loss of detail.

http://i.imgur.com/rX0If.png

Hogiewan,

Thanks again for your work toward producing a workable version of the seal. When I tried to open the attached .png file it advises "link appears to be broken."

Would you be able to post it again please? Thanks

Capt Bruce

Capt Bruce
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
This is what it looks like at 12 inches with a depth of 0.125 inches.

Good evening Bjbethke,

I also appreciate your kindness in producing the various sized versions of the seal from your vectorized version of the image. This is helping me understand how to size a design and work with these semi-inteligently.

May I ask what software you used to make the vectorized design? Thanks for your kindness and help as I learn.

Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

bjbethke
01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Good evening Bjbethke,

I also appreciate your kindness in producing the various sized versions of the seal from your vectorized version of the image. This is helping me understand how to size a design and work with these semi-inteligently.

May I ask what software you used to make the vectorized design? Thanks for your kindness and help as I learn.

Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
I used the Adobe Illustrator (.ai) it is part of the PhotoShop CS4 package. That package comes with about 10 to 12 programs. It has a nice PDF Pro program; I will use it to show you how I do this. See the PDF. One of the members wrote a program to make the vector files it is called "ai2mpc".

Capt Bruce
02-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd like to thank everyone who helped me learn how to develop a scalable pattern of the DHS emblem I wanted to incorporate into some signs I'm producing.

In a parallel thread I accounted a problem with my first two memory cards (3rd one solved that), but the problem kept me from putting bit to wood and testing the final version of the seal on a sign.

Finally was able to run the machine with the kind help of several forumites this week and the seal ran quite well as a v-grove design thanks to your kind help.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/IMG_0722.jpg

First seal test run on a 12 by 18" hall sign. Will follow up when it's stained and the letters are gilded.

Thanks again for helping a Newbie.

Bruce