PDA

View Full Version : Pondering buying another... Help me decide

Anjin
01-14-2010, 11:24 PM
So... I bought a Carvewright just at one year ago now. I managed to do exactly nothing with it, as everytime I tried to use it... BLAM! It would destroy itself. I would replace parts, follow along with helpful advice. Tweak and tune.. Yet, when I tried to cut anything, the machine would make ungodly noises and break things. Bits, the QC holder, etc.

So, now I see lots of refurb machines out there and am pondering it again. But reviewing the board dosnt make me happy. Seems the old problems are still there.

Opinions!! What does it take to make this system work perfectly? Is the build quality better? Has anyone been successfull putting hours on theirs?

Will it work better if I kill a chicken ina voodoo ritual?

Thanks for any input that helps me make up my mind for dumping another couple grand.

Cheers
James

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-15-2010, 05:23 AM
James
Don't give up someday it will work for you. I bought my second one about 6month after my first. The one thing nice about a second one you will have one that runs most of the time not always but most of the time.
Good Luck
JIm

rickyz
01-15-2010, 07:38 AM
I too had lots of problems at first, I bought mine back in late 07. it wound up sitting for about a year while I was working on other things. Last year I got started messing with it again and I couldn't be happier. most of the problems I have had have been user error or maintenance problems. I would definitely recommend getting a rock chuck asap and ditch the quick chuck. So far, I have found an answer to any problems I have had on this site and very rarely have to call carvewright for assistance. You have to be somewhat mechanically inclined to keep this machine running and not be afraid to tear it apart if needed. I love this machine and people are amazed at what it can do. I can't wait to scrounge up some money to get the stl importer. hope this helps.

SJ12
01-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Don’t simply stay away from the remanufactured or factory certified machines but run away from them.
I called LHR to talk about what factory re-certified/rebuilt meant and if the company who was selling this was authorized. I was convinced that I would be ok so I bought the machine, probe, bits and even centerline. I weighed the risks and lost.
Bought mine in Oct 09 I have 96 hours on it. 45 of them are service hours. Since that time I have gone through 3ea. 1/16 carving bits. One broken 1/8 bit. My 3rd chuck and 4th bit was ordered Monday. Not only have I replaced a lot of hardware I have also had with several, sensors errors x and y axis stalls and gone through about $200+ worth of wood. This thing is about ready to be used as a boat anchor.
While I love the concept and have a friend with 2 unit he both bought new that have had no issues.
If I had to do it all over, buy new and get the warranty.
Just my 2 cents.

SJ12
01-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Don’t simply stay away from the remanufactured or factory certified machines but run away from them.
I called LHR to talk about what factory re-certified/rebuilt meant and if the company who was selling this was authorized. I was convinced that I would be ok so I bought the machine, probe, bits and even centerline. I weighed the risks and lost.
Bought mine in Oct 09 I have 96 hours on it. 45 of them are service hours. Since that time I have gone through 3ea. 1/16 carving bits. One broken 1/8 bit. My 3rd chuck and 4th bit was ordered Monday. Not only have I replaced a lot of hardware I have also had with several, sensors errors x and y axis stalls and gone through about $200+ worth of wood. This thing is about ready to be used as a boat anchor.
While I love the concept and have a friend with 2 unit he both bought new that have had no issues.
If I had to do it all over, buy new and get the warranty.
Just my 2 cents.

Wilbur
01-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I agree with everything that has been said.

My first one was nothing but trouble. I gave it back and got another a little later from Sears. I know they are the same but I got the 5 yr warranty and it has more than paid for itself. I got about 600 hr on it and it has been in the shop twice at no cost to me.
I just bought a second one from Sears with the 5 yr warranty.

I suggest to get a new one from Sears with the 5 yr warranty and get the rock chuck.

I would not send it in for repair with the rock on it

I would not buy a used one at any cost.

That is just me though.

Wilbur

chebytrk
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I agree with everything that has been said.

My first one was nothing but trouble. I gave it back and got another a little later from Sears. I know they are the same but I got the 5 yr warranty and it has more than paid for itself. I got about 600 hr on it and it has been in the shop twice at no cost to me.
I just bought a second one from Sears with the 5 yr warranty.

I suggest to get a new one from Sears with the 5 yr warranty and get the rock chuck.

I would not send it in for repair with the rock on it

I would not buy a used one at any cost.

That is just me though.

Wilbur

Just wanted to let you know that I spoke with D.Coker (Sears CC Repair Ctr in Garland, TX). I told her that I was bringing in my CC for a "tune up" service as I was told when I purchased my 5 yr warranty a couple of months ago that I was authorized 1 tuneup service per year. I told her that I the cover had been modified for my Dust Collector (as suggested by AskBud). I also told her that I had a RockChuck installed and if I needed to replace it with my QC. She said no, but to leave a bit in it so when they do their testing, it'll be set. So... I'm going to drop it off sometime next week (I only live about 20minutes from Repair Center). Was told that it'll take a couple of days to service it and make sure all is OK. If anything is found and has to be ordered (not in stock) that may take a little longer. I don't suspect that anything is wrong, but I just want to take advantage of the yearly (tune up) service that I've been given.

Pratyeka
01-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you have any details of what this "yearly tune-up" consist of?

TIMCOSBY
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
and just purrs right along with no problems. i bought a second one and like others it had nothing but problems. the sound it made was distinctly diff than my first one and the flex shaft jumped around while cutting a lot more than my first one. in hind sight it was probably an unbalanced chuck which goes back to qaulity control in china.

Wilbur
01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
The first time I sent mine in ,I left a new bit in it and it came back with out one and no dust filter. They are suppose to be sending me both but have not see either yet.

Wilbur

Smoken D
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
SEARS
5 Year Warranty
Rock Chuck
Dust Collector System

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I would definately not buy a used or pre-owned machine, unless the price was so rediculously low that repair costs wouldnt be a problem. Its nice to save money but having a warranty in the case of having a problem is priceless.

lykens25
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
I would not buy a refurbished unit.In my opinion if you have decided to get one go to sears and make sure to get the 5 year warranty.
I bought one from sears in Jan 2008 which after about 40 hours of carving I kept getting board sensor errors.I returned the unit for repair and the repair did take a while about 6 weeks.When I picked the item back up at sears it had been damaged in shipping the base broke.Sears replaced it with a new one and transferred my warranty to it.The new one worked great till a few weeks ago.The cut motor went out on it so back to sears it went.I just got it back yesterday and they did not repair it. When sears sent it out to the repair center it was damaged in shipping base broke again which they said is a nonrepairable item.Again sears is replacing it with a new one and transferring the warranty .I did not have any problems with sears replacing them.

The only problem I had was today the store did not have one in stock.They told me they could no longer order the compucarve in and were unsure if they could get one to replace mine.They called surrounding stores no one had one the only place they could find one was sears.com. So they ordered it off of there and it will be delivered soon.If they could not replace it they were going to refund me amount.

I still have a few years of warranty left but if something unrepairable breaks I may have to get a refund then probably have to go to carvewright to get one.

Although repairs take a while I would say the 5 year warranty is good or at least it has been for me.

Ike
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Guess I lucked out? The reconditioned CC I bought was brand new never used! All the assesories were still in the package unopened and the cut motor had the standard 20 minutes. I suggest if you buy one ask to check it out look for all the assesories and plug it in. I paid $750.00 so I thought that was a great price.

I have used it and have had the same ol' close cover or board sensor that I have with my CW I bought new!

I am happy with my reconditioned CC, but would never pay the $1499 Sears is asking when you still can get a new CW for $1699.00 from Amazon. I know no extended warranty, for those wanting a new CC from Sears the price will go down as holidays approach and watch for sales.

Ike

JMD
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Ike.
You seemed to get a good deal on that machine. How do you find a deal like that? I would like to replace mine. Dose any one know if LHR takes them in on trad ?