PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis Stalls

Johnny49
01-13-2010, 08:34 AM
To start with I scanned a nice framed cross because I wanted to reproduce it. After tweaking it a bit in designer, I uploaded to my card and set up my work piece. I'm running the Rock bit holder BTW.

After the carving ran for a while the motor. The Error message was "Z Axis Stall Error 309 Push Stop" I have no Idea how to restart the carving at the point of Error, so I started it all over again. The carving started over (however not at the exact point of the first carve) and even passed the point of the last stall. However it stalled again before completion with the same Error. I tried 3 times without being able to complete the project.

I did some reading here on the forum, then checked the Z Truck on my machine. I didn't feel any slack in any direction.

Does anyone have help? Reccomendations?

Johnny

mtylerfl
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
The "Z Axis Stall Errors" have been experienced by several Rock users. I believe the primary cause is that the bit may be slipping. I also think that it is a simple fix - reinstall the bit and make sure it is mounted properly. Contact Ron Justice directly for more info and assistance. (Also, make sure your bit is clean and sharp - you can get axis errors from using a dull bit, as well.)

See this thread: http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=114559&postcount=23

...and this one: http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=114565&postcount=24

liquidguitars
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
The only z stall issues and using the Rock is installing the bit to low in the chuck, "you will get the error before the carve starts cutting" and Like MT stated the bit can slip if you do not firmly install just like any router bit. Crank down the set screw and the bit will not slip. I have three Rocks so i have experience on the matter :)

How MT user's the stock QC without destroying his unit is fantastic! i am still in need of replacing parts like roller rods, bearings and spindles that the old QC damaged when the bit lost contact.

THANK YOU RON for you work!

LG

mtylerfl
01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
:)

How MT user's the stock QC without destroying his unit is fantastic! ...

LG

Hi LG,

I just keep the QC clean, apply a light coat of 3-in-1 oil before and after a project run, and most importantly, I make sure the bits are installed properly (using a mirror & flashlight to check that the red marks are aligned/touching). That's it! Nothing particularly special. So far, so good!