PDA

View Full Version : The swingout arm

ByBry
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi,

A new problem. The small arm on the right hand side of the machine for the purpose of setting the cutting bit is not swinging out. When traversing to the right side I am now hearing a slight clunk. The arm swings out a mere 1/4 and the bit just bypasses it as it heads to the machine base. If I move it with my finger it moves easily and is not jammed.

It is in the cellar and we have had single digit temps and I am wondering if that may be contributing to whatever movement causes it to swing out.

Yesterday I lubed the flex cable with a moly-base but I don't see any correaltion between that and the arm.

Anyone run into this before?

hess
01-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi,

A new problem. The small arm on the right hand side of the machine for the purpose of setting the cutting bit is not swinging out. When traversing to the right side I am now hearing a slight clunk. The arm swings out a mere 1/4 and the bit just bypasses it as it heads to the machine base. If I move it with my finger it moves easily and is not jammed.

It is in the cellar and we have had single digit temps and I am wondering if that may be contributing to whatever movement causes it to swing out.

Yesterday I lubed the flex cable with a moly-base but I don't see any correaltion between that and the arm.

Anyone run into this before?

All the time blow it out and add a bit of lube some just put some from behind it to keep it open

the pivot point needs lube

Shacky
01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I had something similar a couple weeks ago. I blew the mechanism out with compressed air and lubed it. Worked it back and forth a few times and it's been fine since.

I seem to remember reaching under it with my finger and cleaning out some lube/sawdust, too.

Hopefully, a good cleaning and lube with fix it for you, too.

WRW
01-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi ByBry

There are a couple of things to check, there is a cable in the back corner behind the swing out arm at the top that can some times get in the way of the Z truck motor and stop it from going all the way to kick out the arm.
Also try blowing out the spring on the swing out arm with compressed air and lubricating.
Hope this helps.

You have to like this forum. Two answers while i typed. LOL

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Maybe a little clean out and fresh lithium grease.... Cold weather makes all machinery run rough..... I usually make sure the shop is at least 55 degrees and then blow just a little space heater on the CW to make sure its happy before operating. In my opinion, from my experience at least anyways...