PDA

View Full Version : Good with this machine? Have I got a deal for you...

eepers
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
(I'm really hoping there's someone in the Raleigh area interested in this, if you know of someone, please point them in this direction and I'd be very grateful)

I've had my CW for... hmmm... looking at my post history it looks like over two years now. According to the machine, my actual carving time has been just over 11 hours. I've successfully made a whopping three signs at 14" x 22" each, and those were for a buddy whose machine was down and mine miraculously pulled them off, to my astonishment.

I've had it with the machine. It sits there for a few months, I figure I'll get back in there and try it again. Inevitably something comes up and I end up not getting to cut the project I want. I come back to the forum, search for my issue, find 400 people with the same random problem of the day. I find an equal amount of very well meaning replies from people with all manner of suggestions about machine disassembly that may in theory help get me through to the next failure.

I keep the machine free of dust, I've got my little cork bit holding the sensor tab out (even though it flips out and works fine), I blow out the moving areas, check the diagnostics and look for smooth movement... and then I remember why I only try to use it every season... because it's the most unreliable device I've ever had the pleasure of spending $1500 bucks on. I'm a very technical guy, a professional 3D artist who works with some of the most complicated software there is out there, a pretty solid woodworker, and even worked in a sign shop before getting into video games. I'm the living breathing target market for this machine... but this device requires small engine repair and far more mechanical skills than I can muster interest in.

So, what's my point?

If you're one of the gifted few who can actually manage to keep one of these machines running and actually productive, I will happily give you my machine in exchange for having you cut a couple projects a year for me. I mean honestly if I get 2-4 reasonably sized projects a year, I'd be doubling or quadrupling my output and could reduce my frustration by 9000%... it's really the only solution here. I'm great with the software, I don't mean design things for me, just take the file I send you and do the elaborate shaman-like dance that I'm incapable of that makes it magically spit out the other side. This late in the game a return is pretty much out of the question, so this is about the best option.

To the best of my knowledge nothing is "broken" about the machine (more so than its basic design anyway). Today's error after fighting with a board load failure and "load bit" loop for 3 hours, is a Z stall 236 error. From forum replies it looks like I could have this sent to the Texas farm where they fix this sort of thing, but honestly I have zero faith that sending it would result in me getting back something that actually functions reliably, it would just set up the same thing to happen in a few months.

I'm a really reasonable guy, I'm not going to be an annoyance to deal with, it's just not worth my effort anymore to continue trying to be productive with this thing. To me, the technical design of this device is just a complete failure by any objective standards.

If you're interested, post here please :)

BTW, if this is not an appropriate place for this post, please move it as you see fit. Thanks.

PCW
01-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Lee,

What you may be experiencing is the effects of the old Z and 16 PIN flat cable. I have tuned my machine by adding a aftermarket chuck/top mount duct collector as well as a couple other things that aren't sanctioned by LHR but I don't have any problems with my machine now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I would hate for you to get rid of the machine instead of fixing it. Do you have the old Z?

Ike
01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I've had my CW for... hmmm... looking at my post history it looks like over two years now. According to the machine, my actual carving time has been just over 11 hours. I've successfully made a whopping three signs at 14" x 22" each, and those were for a buddy whose machine was down and mine miraculously pulled them off, to my astonishment.

I've had it with the machine. It sits there for a few months, I figure I'll get back in there and try it again. Inevitably something comes up and I end up not getting to cut the project I want. I come back to the forum, search for my issue, find 400 people with the same random problem of the day. I find an equal amount of very well meaning replies from people with all manner of suggestions about machine disassembly that may in theory help get me through to the next failure.

I keep the machine free of dust, I've got my little cork bit holding the sensor tab out (even though it flips out and works fine), I blow out the moving areas, check the diagnostics and look for smooth movement... and then I remember why I only try to use it every season... because it's the most unreliable device I've ever had the pleasure of spending $1500 bucks on. I'm a very technical guy, a professional 3D artist who works with some of the most complicated software there is out there, a pretty solid woodworker, and even worked in a sign shop before getting into video games. I'm the living breathing target market for this machine... but this device requires small engine repair and far more mechanical skills than I can muster interest in.

So, what's my point?

If you're one of the gifted few who can actually manage to keep one of these machines running and actually productive, I will happily give you my machine in exchange for having you cut a couple projects a year for me. I mean honestly if I get 2-4 reasonably sized projects a year, I'd be doubling or quadrupling my output and could reduce my frustration by 9000%... it's really the only solution here. I'm great with the software, I don't mean design things for me, just take the file I send you and do the elaborate shaman-like dance that I'm incapable of that makes it magically spit out the other side. This late in the game a return is pretty much out of the question, so this is about the best option.

To the best of my knowledge nothing is "broken" about the machine (more so than its basic design anyway). Today's error after fighting with a board load failure and "load bit" loop for 3 hours, is a Z stall 236 error. From forum replies it looks like I could have this sent to the Texas farm where they fix this sort of thing, but honestly I have zero faith that sending it would result in me getting back something that actually functions reliably, it would just set up the same thing to happen in a few months.

I'm a really reasonable guy, I'm not going to be an annoyance to deal with, it's just not worth my effort anymore to continue trying to be productive with this thing. To me, the technical design of this device is just a complete failure by any objective standards.

If you happen to be in the Raleigh NC area, even better, as shipping wouldn't be an issue. If you're interested, post here please :)

BTW, if this is not an appropriate place for this post, please move it as you see fit. Thanks.

Lee I sent a PM please take a look.

Ike

eepers
01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Lee,

What you may be experiencing is the effects of the old Z and 16 PIN flat cable. I have tuned my machine by adding a aftermarket chuck/top mount duct collector as well as a couple other things that aren't sanctioned by LHR but I don't have any problems with my machine now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I would hate for you to get rid of the machine instead of fixing it. Do you have the old Z?

I would assume so, I've never modified it, and I was an early adopter. The bigger issue is that my hobby ideally shouldn't be maintaining the machine (beyond reason). Once this issue is sorted out, another will be in the way.

I commend CarveWright for making the machine, in theory it's fantastic, I'm just no longer interested in fighting the hardware.

Ike
01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I would assume so, I've never modified it, and I was an early adopter. The bigger issue is that my hobby ideally shouldn't be maintaining the machine (beyond reason). Once this issue is sorted out, another will be in the way.

I commend CarveWright for making the machine, in theory it's fantastic, I'm just no longer interested in fighting the hardware.

Lee I am interested and sent a PM due to personal info. Please read the PM and see what you think?

Ike

PCW
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Lee,

I can unstained your frustration because I was at the same point with my CW one time. I own 3 of these machine now (hoarder). I'm sure you will have people lined up to take up up on your deal.

Just make sure you pick someone that will be there when you need them.

Ike
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Lee,

I can unstained your frustration because I was at the same point with my CW one time. I own 3 of these machine now (hoarder). I'm sure you will have people lined up to take up up on your deal.

Just make sure you pick someone that will be there when you need them.

Dan I hope you are not referring to me with the above statement? I assure you there are other personal factors I do not want to share in open forum. I am not looking for a free CW. I too own 3 machines.

Again I hope I am just reading too much into the comment, but please see my side since you and I are the only two who have replied.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Ike is getting a little excited..... LOL....

Good Luck Ike !!!

AL

PCW
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Dan I hope you are not referring to me with the above statement? I assure you there are other personal factors I do not want to share in open forum. I am not looking for a free CW. I too own 3 machines.

Again I hope I am just reading too much into the comment, but please see my side since you and I are the only two who have replied.

Ike

Ike

You are reading way to much into to it.LOL You would be a good canidate and thats my point.:-D

Ike
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Ike is getting a little excited..... LOL....

Good Luck Ike !!!

AL

No Al I am not trying to get excited I don't need another machine. I want to help and also make sure I am not reading more into it then I should!

PM are just that " private messages" Shoot I am just digging a deeper hole for myself so I will stop!

Ike

Ike
01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Ike

You are reading way to much into to it.LOL You would be a good canidate and thats my point.:-D

Sorry Dan I am stressed with issues and my brain is not working well. I think I should take a break. You wouldn't think my cat who has cancer and is dying in front of me would mess me up so bad?

Plus I know I would do this for Lee if he design a project and sent the mpc I would be more then happy to make it for him. He could sell his CW and get back some money and I would make the project for just the material and shipping cost.
Ike

Sorry I got off topic and I apologize to all for bringing up my silly issues..

PCW
01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Ike

So sorry to hear about your pet. I can only imagine how you must feel.

Not to worry because I have to be one of the worst people in the world at expressing my views in text. Hang in there Pal

mtylerfl
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Hello Lee,

Sorry to hear you're having bad luck. I don't have time to commit to running other people's projects for them, but...

I'm in Brunswick, GA (about 6 hours south of you). If you're ever going to be in the area, let me know when, and bring your machine with you - I'll be happy to peek at it for you to help you figure out how to get up and running smoothly. Besides, I would enjoy talking with you about the 3D artwork you create.

My personal experience has been that the machines are normally pretty easy to use. I have two of them, going on three years now, and I love 'em. One machine is still equipped with all the 'first-generation' components, the other has the new z-truck and Kevlar belt upgrades. Both work like a champ and keep on tickin'! My contact info is on the carvebuddy.com website.

eepers
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Sorry Dan I am stressed with issues and my brain is not working well. I think I should take a break. You wouldn't think my cat who has cancer and is dying in front of me would mess me up so bad?

Plus I know I would do this for Lee if he design a project and sent the mpc I would be more then happy to make it for him. He could sell his CW and get back some money and I would make the project for just the material and shipping cost.
Ike

Sorry I got off topic and I apologize to all for bringing up my silly issues..

Sorry to hear about the pet, I just recently ended a 6 week period of feeding my cat manually through a feeding tube, and luckily he's pulled through and is doing great.

I expect I'll hold out a couple days and hope someone sees this who happens to be local (or local-ish) to North Carolina.

Thanks all for the tips about the Z-truck mechanisms BTW, it's just really tough to spend more money or effort on it, I keep getting disappointed.

skeeterman
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
eepers, once you get the machine carving, it is addictive. i would suggest giving it another shot, there is a lot of help that can be found on this forum
good luck on either way you go
steve

bjbethke
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
(I'm really hoping there's someone in the Raleigh area interested in this, if you know of someone, please point them in this direction and I'd be very grateful)

So, what's my point?

I might be interested in working with you. I would be able to make lot's more carvings then just 2-4 carvings for you. I live in Yellville, AR 72687. I am retired and do not need to seek extra income for my cost of living. I have a saw mill and own lots of Arkansas wood. The main cost to me would be shipping, and I think UPS could handle that. PM me and I will send you my e-mail. I would like a few images of the unit, with cover removed. BJB

al2888dj
01-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I might be interested in working with you, in rocky mt. va

Griz64
01-11-2010, 12:05 AM
I too am very interested in your proposal. You can rest assured that if you are willing to give me your machine free of charge other than shipping, then when you wanted or needed a project done I would be willing to drop everything I am doing to complete your tasks. It only seems fair to me. Anyway I am not close to you and I see others have beat me to the punch so I wont hold my breath on this deal. If you have any questions or would like to discuss it further then please get back to me and we can exchange phone numbers and talk more about it. Good luck

rcflyer23
01-12-2010, 08:26 AM
PM Sent, good luck in finding a home for it. I am sure there are many capable and willing hands. I would be more than happy to cut any of the files you send and bring them to you. This is a very generous offer.

roughcut
01-12-2010, 05:53 PM

So, what's my point?

Maybe your local high school would be interested in your offer. I am sure the students would love to carve some projects for you..Just a thought...

Skyhawk
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm in Mebane and would be interested...PM sent...

eepers
01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I got some great input from everyone (as is the norm for this board), thanks so much all.

I think Skyhawk and I are going to work something out. I appreciate all the help!

jerrbitt
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Good luck and if your deal does not work out, let me know. I'm in Jacksonville, NC