PDA

View Full Version : Too Big To Carve?

c6craig
01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering how you all handle things that are too big to carve? Say for example I want to make a headboard for a large bed with carved elements on it.

To carve it as a glue up would be many many pieces of wood and doesnt seem realistic. Would you just carve elements and cut them out and glue or attach them to the headboard? Or try to hand route out a carve region on a finished headboard and inset a carving in it?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks,
Craig

AskBud
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi All,

I was wondering how you all handle things that are too big to carve? Say for example I want to make a headboard for a large bed with carved elements on it.

To carve it as a glue up would be many many pieces of wood and doesnt seem realistic. Would you just carve elements and cut them out and glue or attach them to the headboard? Or try to hand route out a carve region on a finished headboard and inset a carving in it?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks,
Craig

If you are going to be gluing boards together to make the headboard anyway, I would prepare the boards (edges ready for glue), and then handle each section as part of a large sign.
Here is a T&T form LHR's list.
AskBud
http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jul09.pdf

c6craig
01-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks AskBud, but I am talking about an existing headboard or any large piece that is already built for that matter. I was using a headboard for an example as I have a large headboard that I think would look pretty cool with some carves inset into it..

Thanks,
Craig

AskBud
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks AskBud, but I am talking about an existing headboard or any large piece that is already built for that matter. I was using a headboard for an example as I have a large headboard that I think would look pretty cool with some carves inset into it..

Thanks,
Craig

That being the case, I would opt for "Glued" on pieces, or one large (Thin) piece carved using "Pierced" carving. No sense in doing more damage the the actual headboard than just the gluing would do.
AskBud

c6craig
01-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks Askbud...I'll give it a try.

Craig