PDA

View Full Version : Scanning probe with Rock Chuck

georgestringer
01-08-2010, 02:27 AM
I have ordered the Rock Chuck for my Carvewright and was wondering if I ordered the scanning probe, would it work with the Rock Chuck. I see it has the QC attachment to it>

AskBud
01-08-2010, 02:37 AM
I have ordered the Rock Chuck for my Carvewright and was wondering if I ordered the scanning probe, would it work with the Rock Chuck. I see it has the QC attachment to it>

The short answer is YES.
Here is a statement about the Probe be rjustice (the MAN).
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=100904&postcount=6
AskBud

georgestringer
01-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks Bud and RJustice that answered my question. Happy carving to all in 2010.

eelamb
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
First scan using the rock, and it worked great. Thought I would share the image of a boy playing hockey. Learning every time I use the PE. This started out at .886 depth. After downloading the scan a few times I learned how to change the depth to what I wanted for the pattern, and this is the results.

Kenm810
03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Good Job on the scan Ed, keep it up http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
Thanks for Sharing your Photo

eelamb
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Ken, as you know the software is a large learning curve.

Do have a question for anyone. Lets say I want to scan something that is 3 inches thick, with a carve about .5 inches deep. Do I just add to the rail heights on my sled or make a new sled. I am thinking either will do, but not sure the CW can do this. I know I would have to set the carve depth, all I want is the carved out area. It is from a hand carving I did years ago on a leg of a table.

Kenm810
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I've done a couple like you mentioned,
remember the rails always have to be al least as tall as the object your
planning to scan so the pressure rollers can clear the item.
I put blocks around my project to act as touch points
so the scanner tip will only scan to the depth I want.
So even if the object is 2" or 3" tall, by using the proper size blocks,
it only scans to the .80", .75", or .50" that I need.

Ps. Over the last few year I've build at least a couple dozen
different Sleds and Carrier Boards for my projects.

eelamb
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks Ken, that is what I was thinking. Gets scary thinking of something you want to do, and not know if you are going to destroy the CW in the process.

AskBud
03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks Ken, as you know the software is a large learning curve.

Do have a question for anyone. Lets say I want to scan something that is 3 inches thick, with a carve about .5 inches deep. Do I just add to the rail heights on my sled or make a new sled. I am thinking either will do, but not sure the CW can do this. I know I would have to set the carve depth, all I want is the carved out area. It is from a hand carving I did years ago on a leg of a table.

You may add to your current rails, or substitute higher rails, if you like. Just make sure that the additions are mounted in such a way that they do not collapse as you scan.
AskBud

eelamb
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks AskBud, If I add to the rails, they will be screwed on, and level.