PDA

View Full Version : Carver gets too cold

AskBud
01-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Here is an old idea that applies to the CW/CC.
If your shop allows your machine to get too cold, try this.
Suspend a light fixture holding a standard 100 watt bulb (I used a metal reflector type) and leave it on 24/7.
Suspend it over the Key Board section and have the truck homed to that side as well. This way the light keeps both somewhat warm. The light should be about a foot higher than the top of the machine.

My shop drops down to 50 degrees when the furnace is off and the weather is cold. I've tested my set-up for the last week, and the machine has no sluggishness.
AskBud

fwharris
01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Great tip Bud!!

If it will work for water pipes why not the CW/CC!!

Ike
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Great tip Bud!!

If it will work for water pipes why not the CW/CC!!

I wonder if heat tape would work? For a quick warm up I use an old hair dryer and it works within minutes.

Ike

dbfletcher
01-07-2010, 11:24 PM
I wonder if heat tape would work? For a quick warm up I use an old hair dryer and it works within minutes.

Ike

I just ignite the sawdust in the bottom of the machine... warms it up in no time.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! I SWEAR!!!!

Doug Fletcher

Ike
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I just ignite the sawdust in the bottom of the machine... warms it up in no time.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! I SWEAR!!!!

Doug Fletcher

Now that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone! Warm and clean the machine at the same time!

Ike

Wilbur
01-08-2010, 05:49 AM
The light works well, depending on how close. A 100 watt bulb inside the unit but not touching anything would work better. I have a neighbor who heats his dog house with a 100 W bulb.
I heat my well house using a 150 W heat lamp but I am only looking to stop from freezing.
The cost can very but a watt is a watt no mater what you use. I think that the heat lamp hanging over the unit a couple feet would work.
I don't see moisture being a problem in any unit. The reason I go for heat lamp is because it tends to reflect heat in the direction you point it.

Which ever, one goes with the cost is not that much.

100 W bulb burning 24 hr is only 2.4 HWH. This for 30 days would be 72 KWH and at .10 per KWH would cost 7.20 perr month.
Wilbur

Rapidroy
01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I bring the CW in the house to stay warm. (could that be why I'm single?) but was thinking of throw'n one of my kids electic blankets over it and set it on low at night but havent tried it yet. My shop dips down in the 30's soooo cold.

Lin
01-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I am married and my hubby helps me carry my baby inside after I am done using my CW for the day. It does not stay out in my shop at all except to run and I heat the shop (garage) up before it goes out for a run. I don't even leave my CW in the shop when its not in use even in the warm weather months. As a matter of fact when I use the probe to scan something in the winter I sit it up on my kitchen table to scan. Hubby has never said a word...just shakes his head walks away. I have a corner in my utility room that is a perfect size for my CW when its not in use.
Just my thoughts on how I aviod any heating issues.
Lin

Metalhead781
01-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I bring the CW in the house to stay warm. (could that be why I'm single?) but was thinking of throw'n one of my kids electic blankets over it and set it on low at night but havent tried it yet. My shop dips down in the 30's soooo cold.

I dunno roy, I'm single too (sort of) Would a winter shop setup with portable tools in a spare room that hasn't been remodeled yet do the same for me?:cool:

I know the dog doesn't like it

twiceretired
01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I am married and my hubby helps me carry my baby inside after I am done using my CW for the day. It does not stay out in my shop at all except to run and I heat the shop (garage) up before it goes out for a run. I don't even leave my CW in the shop when its not in use even in the warm weather months. As a matter of fact when I use the probe to scan something in the winter I sit it up on my kitchen table to scan. Hubby has never said a word...just shakes his head walks away. I have a corner in my utility room that is a perfect size for my CW when its not in use.
Lin

Hey Lin, Cool, I can’t see any difference for the carvewright being in the kitchen than a bread maker or microwave. At least it’s not a Harley like a friend kept in his kitchen.

www.go3d.us
01-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Lin

Lin, It is nice to care for your machine but moving it too often is not a good idea. The fragile parts inside might get loosen over time because of the vibration/shaken when moving.

CarverJerry
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Guess I'm lucky enough to use my CW in the basement where it stays warm. Right before the machine starts carving I roll my table with my CW on it into an old fruit cellar where I have my vacuum set up and start carving, shut the door and let it run. Stays warm, and is pretty quite.

atauer
01-08-2010, 01:59 PM
There is probably more to Lin's story that what she tells. She may also be worried about the potential of someone possibly messing with it or even taking it...

I don't think moving it around is going to do much damage, as long as it does not get any sharp jostles or gets dropped. In fact, I have seen several machines on rolling carts, so that they can be moved around.

I myself don't like keeping my expensive tools in the garage, but then again, at times it seems that I live in a somewhat questionable area. To each his own I guess.

Lin, I don't blame you for bringing the machine in when it is not being used. Not only does it keep it warm, you can keep a sharp eye on it too, in case someone in your area gets a case of the "sticky fingers".

Lin
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I thought the machine is suppose to be fairly portable. It only weighs approx. 75 pounds. I have been carting it in and out since I bought it in June of 2007. No problems so far. We are very cautious about hitting anything on the way in or out with it and with two of us carring it it doesn't get bounced or jostled around on the 60' roundtrip. I think its a better idea than leaving it out in my shop without heat.
Just my thoughts.
Added edit: Thanks Alex....You were quicker than I on the draw with typing...lol....and yes the thought of someone walking off with my CW has crossed my mind. Due to the portablility the machine unlike almost every thing else in my shop other than my small planer couldn't not be picked up and hauled off easily nor quickly. I have been a victim of theft though it was many years ago.

Lin

dbfletcher
01-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I thought the machine is suppose to be fairly portable. It only weighs approx. 75 pounds. I have been carting it in and out since I bought it in June of 2008. No problems so far. We are very cautious about hitting anything on the way in or out with it and with tow of us carring it it doesn't get bounced or jostled aorund on the 60' trip. I think its a better idea than leaving it out in my shop without heat.
Just my thoughts.

Lin

I would think the vibrations the machine indures whil carving is far worse than moving it from room to room occasionally. I have mine bolted on portable miter saw stands and they get carted up and down two flights of stairs ever spring and fall from basement to garage and vice versa and havnt had problems doing the yet.

Doug Fletcher

Ike
01-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Lin, It is nice to care for your machine but moving it too often is not a good idea. The fragile parts inside might get loosen over time because of the vibration/shaken when moving.

HT I travel with my CW and make sure it is well secured. Like Alex said unless they were using the CW as a medicine ball it is ok to move!!

Plus both my CW/CC are in my shop and it is only heated when I am in there. I live in snow country and my shop gets cold especially when it gets below zero! The only thing I worry about in the shop is my paints and finish and they come inside! I have several expensive other tools including my K2 CNC that do just fine out in the cold shop!

It isn't strange to me to hear Lin takes her CW in every night, sounds like she uses her machine every day and needs it ready to go! It is faster to warm the shop then it is the CW!

Ike

cnsranch
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
The only real problem I have when it gets too cold is that the head simply will not crank down - I have to wait for it to warm up (or carve a really thick piece :rolleyes:)

Ike
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
The only real problem I have when it gets too cold is that the head simply will not crank down - I have to wait for it to warm up (or carve a really thick piece :rolleyes:)

Jerry same here and I have found once I get the machine going it can still be cold and the warmth of the CW operating keeps the machine going for project after project.

That is why if I am in a hurry and can't wait for the shop to warm up I take my wife's old hair dryer and set it on the rollers until the head starts moving correctly!

Then start the project without any problems and by the time the project is finished the shop is warm and ready for the next job!

I have even been able to crank a little stop crank a little until it loosen the lube and the way I went!

Ike

happyjackid
01-09-2010, 03:10 AM
I solved both the cold weather problem and the sound proofing problem by enclosing my CW in a box (which I affectionately call the "coffin" since it looks kinda like one). When my garage gets really cold at night I leave a 75W trouble light on inside the box at night and it is toasty warm when I am ready to go in the morning.

I also just ordered the Rock which should further reduce the noise.

Here is a link to post I made about it back in November. Maybe the info will be useful to someone.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10729