PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft making ALOT of noise

Shacky
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Boy, it's been one of those days.

Just came in from the shop. I had a carving going and I changed bits, as the the carve started, I noticed a racket coming from the flexshaft. The machine was still carving, but the flexshaft was making something that sounded almost like grinding. I put my hand on it and could feel a lot of vibration. I immediately turned off the machine and came in to ask the experts; What's going on?

fwharris
01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I would start by removing the flex shaft and spring to see what they look like.

It could be the spring broke, shaft broke, upper bearing on cutting head, shaft loose at cut motor..

Shacky
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
OK. I will do it in the morning.

There's an old joke by Rodney Dangerfield: "It's been a rough day. I got up this morning... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom!"

That's how I feel right now.

fwharris
01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Shacky,

Sounds like a good time to just sit back and relax!!

Go after it in the morning with a fresh mind and body..

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2010, 08:47 PM
OK. I will do it in the morning.

There's an old joke by Rodney Dangerfield: "It's been a rough day. I got up this morning... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom!"

That's how I feel right now.

That is like the joke about the new Pharmacist.

The manager comes in seeing a guy standing outside the store butt clinched and his finger under his nose.....

The Manager asks the new Pharmacist what was the deal with him.... He was my first customer and demanded something to stop his sneezing... I told him we did not have anything for Sneezing.... He said "You must be right out of school and just don't KNOW".... Called me a few names.... Then I said... O' Yes.... I forgot about THIS..... Here Drink this.... The Manager said... WE DON'T have a cure for Sneezing.... The New Pharmacist said watch.... I gave him Quick Acting EX LAX.... He is not going to sneeze.... :mrgreen::roll::roll::mrgreen:

Night Shift... Mind Wonders....

OK..... now that you blew your Coffee out your nose.... Here is some ideas on the Flex....

The Spring might be bent or broken....

The Shaft might be getting ready to snap in half.... Broke my first a few weeks ago... Quick fix... I have extras...

AL

scamp62
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
I just went thought the very same thing, it was the spring that surrounds the flexshaft, the end near the cutting motor broke, unfortunately you cant just buy the spring !!
You have to get a “Flex Shaft Assembly” 75.00 !!! it seems a lot of money just because a cheep spring fails ! this item should be sold separately. And from what I have herd it was not long ago……so why not now ????

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Because of the damage in shipping... The springs kink very easy....

A kinked spring with metal to metal made so much heat that it started the black outside smoking and set of my Smoke Detector above the machine.

That reminds me.... Everyone should have a smoke detector above there machine....

AL

Shacky
01-08-2010, 05:47 AM
I will be pulling out the flex shaft and inspecting the situation this morning.

I have the 5 year warranty from Sears, plus the machine is about 5 months old. Is it covered or do I remember reading on the forum that this part is never covered?

Wilbur
01-08-2010, 05:54 AM
I think that, with Sears it is covered. They tell me, anything. ???

Wilbur

Shacky
01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
OK, I pulled the flex shaft out and have examined it. It seems to me like the spring is kind of bunched up in the middle.

With the flex shaft removed the rock seems to spin quite freely. No noise or resistance at all.

I took pictures. Could some of you experts give me a diagnosis, please?

(Each picture is labeled as to what part of the shaft it is.)

Kenm810
01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
From the Photos the spring doesn't look damaged,
I would see if you could gently stretch it back out to the original size "length"
to cover all but an inch the square ends of the flex-shaft core,
plus lube the core while it's out.

Shacky
01-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Will do.

Thanks.

PCW
01-08-2010, 09:21 AM
It looks to me like it spun and got wound up choking the inter shaft.

Shacky
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I stretched the spring out and lubed and did a small test carve.

Seems OK.

Thanks again,

Scott