PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Advice

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I got a PM from a member asking what should I plan on up grading and what is a ROCK... And what causes the machine to make noise and slow down and speed up measuring a board in length...?

My answer...

The Rock is a after market chuck to hold the bits that is better. Find a post by RJustice and click on the links and watch the videos.

The speed problem in board length could be a few things....

Pressure too tight. There are procedures and a PDF for using a bathroom scale to measure the pressure. Ask Bud has a bunch of good stuff too.

As far as upgrade..

You want the New Z Bundle with the 14 pin FSC cable. The thick thin cable going to your Z and Y truck. See pictures I have posted for the way to tell what you have.

You want the cut motor magnet retainer. Find pictures I posted.

You want a new board detector at some time as they are glued and dust won't get inside as easy. Use your old one but have one in stock.

Order sand paper belts and have them in stock...

Find my posts about the belt, usually the one under the muffler rolling under on the key pad side.

It is hard to see when it is rolled over... Looking on the other end and seeing if the belt is missing on the other side. Ripping a 1 inch strip near the brass roller side fixed my roll over problem. Or you can replace the belts.

While the board is measuring and sounding stressed, I sometimes relieve the pressure with the crank slightly and that will help. I usually measure the board OVER again if this happens..... Just to be sure it measures correctly.

Good Luck,

AL

To add a few thoughts... Machine must be warm... Above 50 degrees... Moisture on the underside of the belts form the cold can cause problems too..... That is why I measure twice while ruining my dust collection to help warm the machine and remove moisture. Sawdust is like Rosin on back of the belts and causes friction.

will george
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
And what causes the machine to make noise and slow down and speed up measuring a board in length...?

My machine has always done that and it works great? Not sure why but mine makes some strange noises when measuring the length. I always use surfaced 4 sides stock... I surface in my shop...

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Will,

Dust on the back of the sand paper belt and the stickiness of the rosin in the sawdust.

A Rolled under belt.

Too High pressure on the crank.

Dirty gears in the X gear box.. dust contaminations.

Dust impacted on the upper rubber rollers.

Too Long a board with no support, too heavy a board.

In feed and out feed tables need adjustment.

That is a start....

AL:mrgreen: