PDA

View Full Version : Tongue Drum & Necklace Tray

brdad
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
These are my two latest projects, distinctly different!

The first is a tongue drum, I pondered for nearly a year on how to build this. I really liked the looks and sound of the drums on the tonguedrum.com site, and was fortunate that by the time I was ready to build it plans were available for sale on the web site. I think it was money well spent, there are a few specifics I would not have been aware of. The top is African Padauk, ends are walnut and oak, sides are tiger maple and walnut, bottom is birch plywood. It is finished with two coats of tung oil. It is about 9" tall, 10" wide and 24" long and weighs just under 20 lbs. I used the CW only to make some vector paths with a 90° V bit, which I used for guides to cut the tongues with a jig saw. If I did it again, I would probably use the 1/8 bit and cut clear through, and then place 1/8" shims between the tongues when gluing the sides on (the drum is too high to cut the tongues after the box is assembled). Tuning the drum was fairly easy with the help of a microphone and free software which displayed the frequency of the tongues.
I am not musical at all, this was just a project I wanted to do, but here is some audio of my brother playing it:
Tongue Drum Solo (http://www.bytethebullet.com/images/Tongue_Drum_Solo.mp3)
Tongue Drum With Guitar (http://www.bytethebullet.com/images/Tongue_Drum_With_Guitar.mp3)

The second project was a quickie project for my wife. It is a necklace tray which is used to hold beads and other supplies when making jewelry. The ones sold at the craft stores are made of thin flimsy plastic and she wanted something sturdier and a little more basic. It is an edge glued 9" X 14" maple scrap with two coats of lacquer. It was completely done on the CW. Nothing special, but I am posting it since it might give someone else an idea.

mtylerfl
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Both are GREAT projects! Nice!

mifflinlake
01-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Both projects are really nice. The Tongue drum is on my list of things to make. Just need to find the time.

Thanks for sharing.

John'

Pratyeka
01-06-2010, 06:20 AM
I had never heard of a tongue drum before and tried to pictured in my mind how you could adapt a drum to play with your tongue. Thanks for posting a picture, now I'll have to search for other exotic instruments that can be made.

RayTrek
01-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Outstanding projects, I listened to your recordings and I am very impressed.
Thanks for sharing with us your talent and inspiring skills.
Cheers ~ Ray

hogiewan
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been thinking about making a tongue drum - no reason to not let the CW do everything there IMO. Your drum sounds great.

CarverJerry
01-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey man, that tongue drum is great, and the added guitar made it really cool. Music (guitar player myself) is in my blood but never thought of making one of those. And the wife, she is into the beads also.....
Nice job on both.

BBrooks
01-06-2010, 03:10 PM
The audio was a great addition, thanks! Both projects are impressive.
Cheers,

JMD
01-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Any chance you might share the pattern? Or at least the size of it.
John

Kenm810
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi brdad,

Great Projects, I love the Tounge Drum and Thanks for the Site
I really plan to carve and build a couple up dated ones.

About 25 years ago I built 3, one for each of our childen,
now the Grand Kids come over and play them.
All Red Oak and have really taken a beating over the years.
but still can make enough Music to drive Ol' Grandpa Nuts!!

jpeter14
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
This is just a rough draft of a tongue drum cut out with the 1/8" bit. I have not carved it, but should be ok.

Dan-Woodman
01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Just wondering, why did you use a spline for the rounded corners instead of an arc?
Very nice project. later Daniel

brdad
01-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Just wondering, why did you use a spline for the rounded corners instead of an arc?
Very nice project. later Daniel

Thanks. I did use splines. I used my camera and took a picture of the pattern which was supplied with the plans I got from tonguedrum.com. I then used that picture and put it into designer as a pattern, then used the spline/line tools to trace the tongues and then removed the pattern. I did use the snap grid to assist in keeping the straight parts of the tongues parralell and even. So duplication of the original plans is my main reason why - if I was making one of my own design, it would probably be more exact - which now that I see my creation, I am not sure exact would be so good. A tongue drum is more something you expect to be hand made, and making it too exact might make it look too mass-produced. I have seen a few online that have this look.

I have been asked four times so far for the pattern, and I am sorry but I have decided that would be against the wishes of the producer of the plans.