PDA

View Full Version : Questions

o2bawd
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I have a project id like to do , I have tried a couple test carves and need help getting the image to look right . I have tried to upload the jpeg (too large) then tried uploading mpc (pattern made from jpeg) it also is too large , how do i downsize to upload to forum to get help/? The kids used to be here to set my digital watch, where are thwey now lol....................Thanks

JDPratt
01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
There are a number of programs out there to down size photos, but I just use MS Powerpoint. Insert the picture on a slide and then save the slide as a .jpg. I am sure there will be others who post some other ways that may be easier for you. Just what is easy for me since I am pretty much technologically stupid.

Kenm810
01-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Try Paint.Net (http://www.getpaint.net/) it's free to down load
and has been working well with CW Designer for me.

o2bawd
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Ken I am haveing some success i think with the program you suggested. Here are two of the trials i have done , in my carvewright site its looks a lot better but isn't what i am getting ....................

o2bawd
01-04-2010, 04:41 PM
hope these come through

Chief
01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
o2bawd,

Your photos are too small to tell what's what.

Chief

Kenm810
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
It looks like you may have resized your photos a little to small,
I try to keep my jpg's just under 100 KB

But like this around 50 KB works fine. :wink:

o2bawd
01-04-2010, 11:37 PM
this is the jpeg im takeing my pattern from. croping just the loaded truck, in my carvewright designer it looks good but the test carve both standard and inverted were bad

dbfletcher
01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
this is the jpeg im takeing my pattern from. croping just the loaded truck, in my carvewright designer it looks good but the test carve both standard and inverted were bad

As I'm sure you are finding out.... it is very difficult to get a good 3D carve from a 2D image. The CW simply uses shades of grey to determine the depth of the carve. most photographic images just dont have the information in them.

many have had sucess carving photographs and litho's however.

Good Luck!

Doug Fletcher

o2bawd
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Doug your right I am finding out it is hard to get a good carve from the jpeg, if I could just get what the designer is showing id be happy, I can't seem to get the mpc down to a size where i can let every one see what im seeing.......but will keep trying

AskBud
01-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Doug your right I am finding out it is hard to get a good carve from the jpeg, if I could just get what the designer is showing id be happy, I can't seem to get the mpc down to a size where i can let every one see what im seeing.......but will keep trying

Did you try to ZIP/Compress the file in order to attach it to the Forum?
AskBud

o2bawd
01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Here are the test carves ive done, i just can't get the mpc down in size to post so everyone can se what designer is showing and what im getting

dbfletcher
01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Here are the test carves ive done, i just can't get the mpc down in size to post so everyone can se what designer is showing and what im getting

Actually, if you zoom in and rotate you mpc in designer, you will probably see the the cw IS REALLY carving pretty close to what you mpc is showing. It often looks pretty good on the screen... till you zoom and look at the details a little closer. Normally when you import jpegs youwill get lots of "sharp spikes" & "deep valleys" that don look THAT bad onthe computer screen... but when viewed by rotating or zoom you see it really isnt what you thoguht it looked like. Plus your eyes have a way of seeing what it wants to see on the computer screen.

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
01-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Actually, if you zoom in and rotate you mpc in designer, you will probably see the the cw IS REALLY carving pretty close to what you mpc is showing. It often looks pretty good on the screen... till you zoom and look at the details a little closer. Normally when you import jpegs youwill get lots of "sharp spikes" & "deep valleys" that don look THAT bad onthe computer screen... but when viewed by rotating or zoom you see it really isnt what you thoguht it looked like. Plus your eyes have a way of seeing what it wants to see on the computer screen.

Doug Fletcher

Very well said, Doug - that was one of the first lessons I learned - thanks to ChrisAlb.

hogiewan
01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
also - are you setting the bit optimization? try it on the highest setting. When you zoom in to look at the details, wait a second or two and let the image clear up.

o2bawd
01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
I understand what you are saying about the rotate and zooming in on the carve but it still shows to be much better than what i got even at the highest carve setting.....is there a way to downsize the mpc so i can attach it

cnsranch
01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
.....is there a way to downsize the mpc so i can attach it

Not that I know of - the pattern you created out of the pic is making the mpc too large to post.

You can e-mail it to one of the gurus to look at, or you can use a utility to actually take a couple of close-up pics of the mpc as it shows in Designer, and post them.

I keep forgetting who to give credit to, but MWSnap is a great program to do just that - it's free, and if I can use it, anyone can:rolleyes:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mwsnap.html

o2bawd
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Jerry these gurus your talking about do we have any that make patterns from jpeg????????????/ After compressing jpeg the pattern doesn't look as good as it did at first

cnsranch
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Bottom line is that jpegs have too much noise in them to carve on wood properly. They do great when carving on Corian for the purpose of making a lithophane, but just won't cut it in wood.

Some have very expensive programs they use to help, but I'm sorry to say that you're not gonna get what you want.

If you'd like, you can check your pm, and send me the mpc if you'd like another set of eyes to take a look.

o2bawd
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Jerry that would be great, I just carved it in 0.125 and it seems better i may try it with a little les depth, also used black and white this time , but would deffinatly send for your inspection