PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it is my imagination but...

Griz64
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Maybe it is my imagination but I recently ordered 2 1/16th carving bits from rjustice and I swear it looks like it makes a cleaner cut. It doesnt look like its a huge difference but there does look to be a difference none the less. Maybe I am nuts or maybe I am seeing something that isnt there or maybe it is wishful thinking. No matter what it is though I know I have been nothing but happy with the things I have gotten from rjustice and will continue ordering from him.

Now a question for you Mr. Justice. I broke my 1/8 cutter bit because I was in a hurry and forgot to set the cut to be made in 3 passes. Are your bits any stronger than the ones that LHR sell?

Digitalwoodshop
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Carbide is Carbide and Carbide is brittle.... I broke 2 cut path bits this week taking a .4 two pass cut path... When the bit made the corner at slow speed and then kicked into "Scoot Mode" fast cut mode it snapped both bits.... So I changed to .27 depth 3 pass and no more problems.

Not having the ability to change the speed of cut for a cut path we adjust the other option... deepth of cut... It works...

Interesting to hear Ron's take on the bits....

So if your snapping bits it can be a Brass Roller problem or just taking too deep of a cut.

AL

Kenm810
01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AL,

Just thought of a spot where we could use some Masking Tape
to help save a few Cutting - Bits! :wink:

Ike
01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I guess there is one way you can get by using the CW without knowing! I have never set any project cutting depth and I use a 1/8 RJ bit and have cut though oak, mytlewood, birch and of course pine and redwood!

My bit looks a bit worn, but that is it. I am wondering if it is how the operator is inserting the bit? Hand routing signs I learned yeeeaaarrsss ago to seat the bit correctly! It isn't fun when bit flies out of the chuck or a straight bit snaps from being out too far to get that extra cutting length!

Ike

rjustice
01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Maybe it is my imagination but I recently ordered 2 1/16th carving bits from rjustice and I swear it looks like it makes a cleaner cut. It doesnt look like its a huge difference but there does look to be a difference none the less. Maybe I am nuts or maybe I am seeing something that isnt there or maybe it is wishful thinking. No matter what it is though I know I have been nothing but happy with the things I have gotten from rjustice and will continue ordering from him.

Now a question for you Mr. Justice. I broke my 1/8 cutter bit because I was in a hurry and forgot to set the cut to be made in 3 passes. Are your bits any stronger than the ones that LHR sell?

Thanks for the info Griz... There should be a difference in the finish on the carving bits as you have noticed. That is due to a 4 flute design. As the tool turns, you are getting one extra flute making the cut which makes each flute work easier, and therefore do less work, and cut a smaller amount.

As for the 1/8 bits. I am offering them in 2 lenghts 3/4 and 1".... If you are cutting through 3/4" or thinner material, by all means go with the 3/4 length of cut. You can choke up on the tool more, which means less leverage to break it off. The sub-micro grain carbide is used in the tools that i sell which also makes them stronger, and hold a sharper edge than standard, or micrograin carbides.. Keep in mind that the machine cuts .07 deeper than the bottom of the board, so in reality you are cutting .82 deep if your stock is actually 3/4. Just make sure you are using at least 2 depths of cut!... I prefer 3 myself.

Hope this helps,

Happy New Years everyone!

Ron

dbfletcher
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
AL,

Just thought of a spot where we could use some Masking Tape
to help save a few Cutting - Bits! :wink:

Hmmm.. is masking Tape the new "duct tape" for us cw'ers?? Sure seems that way. I may have to start buy stock in 3M too!

Doug Fletcher

wasacop75
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
The only problem with painter's tape is it doesn't stick as well as duct tape.

But, I too use more than my fair share...