PDA

View Full Version : How to create thumbnails from pattern and project files?

pjfiedler
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
I have a couple of folders full of pattern and project files, but the associated file names are not always very descriptive. Is there a tool available to create thumbnails from the ptn and project files or is there a windows plugin that will create the thumbnail image when viewing the folder using windows explorer?

dbfletcher
01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I have a couple of folders full of pattern and project files, but the associated file names are not always very descriptive. Is there a tool available to create thumbnails from the ptn and project files or is there a windows plugin that will create the thumbnail image when viewing the folder using windows explorer?

I was hoping for the exact thing not so long ago. I sure hope someone has a solution for this. I have tons of ptn's I have downloaded from here... but very few have been imported in to my favorites.

Doug Fletcher

AskBud
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM

There is now way/program, that I know of at present.
However, perhaps you should start by organizing the folders & files. You may change the names to something that means more to you, and build you own "Folder System".
Here is a 87.4 MB AVI lesson on Organization.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Organize%20Patterns%20and%20Designs.zip

It is, also, possible to build a WORD document using "Hyperlinks" similar to my Download link shown in my signature below.
AskBud

PCW
01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Funny thing because I have been making thumbnails for the past two hours and I'm getting tried of it. What I'm doing is loading the patterns then taking a screen snapshot. It's a boring task but in the long run it will be worth it I think.:rolleyes:

dbfletcher
01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Funny thing because I have been making thumbnails for the past two hours and I'm getting tried of it. What I'm doing is loading the patterns then taking a screen snapshot. It's a boring task but in the long run it will be worth it I think.:rolleyes:

Now dont you wish designer had a macro languange or vbscript facility as well... then it would be a snap!

Not to mention all the cool automation we could do with creating mpc themselves....

Oh.... to dream....

Doug Fletcher

WRW
01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
If you have Windows 7 or Vista the snipping tool works great for creating the jpg file to use as a thumbnail, it will cut out only what you want from any screen and create a jpg file. I just give the jpg file the same name as the mpc file. Which is likely the same as Dan/PCW is doing with screen capture. Both will work I just like the clean look I get from the snipping tool better. As Dan said its a boring task when you first start to organize all that you have, but once caught up if you just snip and save as you create or download it will be worth it when you try to find it later.
Have a great night!

TIMCOSBY
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM
the habit of screen capturing every time you down load one it seems easier. and name the thumb the same name and print a contact sheet with picasa3.

ruggybear
01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
The SNIP tool in Vista and 7 is a good tool. But I prefer FilePick which is a software program that will catalog your files along with thumbnails. I have over 4000 files catalogged with it.

The program will catalog any type of file as long as there is an file associated application for it.

For PTN and MPC that would be Designer. For PDF it would be Adobe PDF reader.
XLS would be Excel etc.

FilePick website is here http://www.gagechek.com/fp/index.html

The first process would be to get all of your files arranged in directories.

pjfiedler
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I was hoping there was a tool from CarveWright to generate the thumbnails. As someone posted, I'll keep dreaming. :)

AskBud
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
OK,
Here is a 59.3 MB AVI lesson on the subject of Organization and Access. This is my 2nd lesson on the subject.
Organize Part-2 may be downloaded from the link below.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Organize-Part%202.zip

ruggybear
01-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Bud,

Just checked out you AVI. I have attached a free utility called printkey that I have used for years. It eliminates a bunch of keystrokes and mouse clicks shown in your AVI. Note that I am offering this as a constructive enhancement to your process. Printscreen utility installs and is activated when the printscreen key is pressed. You can save the entire screen or a portion as scelected by cross hairs.

Also the FilePick program works well for the orginazition.

Hope this helps.

Chief
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Ruggy,

Is the programmer who wrote "filepick" a member of this forum? He or she definitely has access to a CarveWright.

Chief

AskBud
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Bear,
perhaps you could make a Video Lesson on your process. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could/should be making lessons. It would be super to have others do the same.
I use HyperCam to make my lessons.
AskBud

ruggybear
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Ruggy,

Is the programmer who wrote "gagechek" a member of this forum? He or she definitely has access to a CarveWright.

Chief

Chief,

The correct name is FilePick. Yes the programmers wife is a member of the forum.

Ken

ruggybear
01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Bear,
perhaps you could make a Video Lesson on your process. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could/should be making lessons. It would be super to have others do the same.
I use HyperCam to make my lessons.
AskBud

Bud,

I do not have a video camera to expierment with.

Ken

Chief
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Richard,

I recently installed Windows 7 but I can't find any icon to run the "snipping" tool and there's no help from MS, of course.
Any help surely would be appreciated.

Chief

ruggybear
01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Richard,

I recently installed Windows 7 but I can't find any icon to run the "snipping" tool and there's no help from MS, of course.
Any help surely would be appreciated.

Chief

Chief,

Do the following:

Goto Start - All Programs - ACCESSIORIES

You will find the Snipping Tool there

Ken