PDA

View Full Version : check out this guys shop

jab73180
01-02-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.kevinsbrady.net/construction1.html

look at this guys shop, he put a lot of thought into it (except the size), including the dust collection and static electricity dissapation.

Chief
01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Jason,

I agree with you 100%. Going to all that trouble for such a small shop is something beyond my comprehension. I have one buddy who built his overblown 2-car garage with a shop in mind. The garage is large enough to hold ALL of his tools plus his truck and his wife's car. Removing both gives you more space than you'll ever need. He also has a 2nd floor where he keeps his exercise equipment, his Tormek and mini-lathe for turning pens and he still has room to burn. It's enough to make one drool.

Another friends has a different approach for his work (not Wood) shop. It's great for the warmer months but sucks for winter. He has 4-5 small sheds, one large shed and a contruction trailer behind his house. He is a pest exterminator by trade and uses the trailer to build traps. In that he has, among other things, all the sheetmetal equipment you would ever need.

In his cellar, he has one of those overgrown bandsaws where you can cut through 8 inch pipe and a commercial drill press in one room. Another room he uses for welding and some storage. I forget where he got his welding table but it's 1 1/2" thick, polished flat and is about 2.5'x6'. It's truly a joy to work in this collection as everything is industrial size/strength, even his abrasive blaster which can handle anything up to 3' long. Anything longer goes to another shop nearby that uses a 25 hp motor. Blasting on that one is tough as you really have to wear a lot of protective equipment.

Chief

wasacop75
01-02-2010, 07:41 PM
All i get to use is half of a two car garage. and thats after pulling the loml's car out.

Some how it seems that no matter how i try, i cant seem to keep it clean. maybe my down draft table needs to be replaced by a 30x 80 shop building divided into 3 rooms. one for the shop, one for my toys (truck and other tools) and one for her and the girls stuff....

Of course i would get the biggest room.......
sure i would.

I have more tools in storage than i can put in my garage..I have been remodeling since 80 and collecting tools since i was 12. between the ones i use and the ones i wish i had room to use, i need more room.

Pomelle Sapele
01-03-2010, 05:13 AM
. . . maybe my down draft table needs to be replaced . . .
Have you tried running the Carvewright on top of your downdraft table? I am thinking that might be a more elegant solution to dust collection.

AskBud
01-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Have you tried running the Carvewright on top of your downdraft table? I am thinking that might be a more elegant solution to dust collection.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but many of us had downdraft systems prior to developing our CW Vacuum Heads or side ports.

I, personally, find a Vacuum Head far superior to the DD. The wider the board, being carved, the poorer the DD seems to work. They have saved lots of "down time" for many users.

The dirt/dust is trapped between the front & back rollers, and the use of the CW Vacuum Head or side port draws the dust/dirt away before most of it can affect the rollers, or cut motor (almost any part).
AskBud