PDA

View Full Version : can you have a 1 bit carve?

Rapidroy
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi All
I have 2 bits a 1/16 carving and 1/8 cutter. I would like to carve and drill with the 1/8 bit. just so it doesnt stop to ask for the change. is there a way? I do carve some stuff with the 1/16 if it has lots-o detail but for this one it ask's for a carver (which I tell it to use a 1/8 carver) and a 1/8 cutter. I leave 1 bit in the machine but it stops and ask's, and you know, goes through all the checks.

AskBud
01-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi All
I have 2 bits a 1/16 carving and 1/8 cutter. I would like to carve and drill with the 1/8 bit. just so it doesnt stop to ask for the change. is there a way? I do carve some stuff with the 1/16 if it has lots-o detail but for this one it ask's for a carver (which I tell it to use a 1/8 carver) and a 1/8 cutter. I leave 1 bit in the machine but it stops and ask's, and you know, goes through all the checks.

What you want has beed suggested on the "Wish List".
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=111997&postcount=307

Old Salt
01-01-2010, 07:04 PM
sorry you must play by the rules. no short cuts.:(

mtylerfl
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi All

Never use the 1/8" cutting bit for carving. Use the 1/16" tapered bit for that.

There is a 1/8" ballnose carving bit available from CarveWright, but it is TOTALLY different than the 1/8" cutting bit that was included with your machine, and is suitable only for carvings that do not require a great deal of detail.

Rapidroy
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
For the project I posted I just keep the 1/8 cutting bit for the whole thing. I have tried the 1/16 carver + 1/8 cutting (to drill the holes) and it really didnt change the carve. There is no detail in this project at all.

www.go3d.us
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it is possible to carve and cut with 1/8" bit in one project. In board setting select the 1/8" bit and the whole board will carve with 1/8" bit. Isn't that the bits selection are there for in the board setting?

However, depend on what result do you want. carving with 1/8 bit can have unsatisfied result. When you switch between 1/16 and 1/8 bit changes will show on the screen.

Rapidroy
01-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks
I will give that a try, this is what is so cool about this forum is that there are so many different eyes looking at the same software and picking up different things.

liquidguitars
01-03-2010, 01:44 PM
In some cases using the 1/8 cut bit for carving works relay well, I used the cutter for a guitar neck design that i needed square laminated milled surfaces, I had no real issues using it.

Isn't that the bits selection are there for in the board setting?

Yes..

If you use a old copy of designer you can use the 1/4 ballnose 2, but just make sure you have the right DOC to MPC.

LG

mtylerfl
01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I think it is possible to carve and cut with 1/8" bit in one project. In board setting select the 1/8" bit and the whole board will carve with 1/8" bit.

Isn't that the bits selection are there for in the board setting?

No. The 1/8" bit designed for carving is the optional ballnose bit - not the 1/8" straight cutting bit, as mentioned before. I think you'll be better pleased using the ballnose.

The 1/8" (straight) cutting bit does function very well for flat-bottom/straight-sided pocket carves, but is certainly not designed/intended for general purpose carving of patterns and such. You will need to use either the 1/16" Carving bit for normal everyday carving or purchase the 1/8" Ballnose carving bit for raster carves that do not require finer detail less than what a 1/8" diameter bit can fit into.

liquidguitars
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
The 1/8" (straight) cutting bit does function very well for flat-bottom/straight-sided pocket carves.

True, also works good with quarter rounds designs like the back of a guitar neck that rounds over to a flat milled surface the down side is that the 1/8 mill bits are quick to snap if you do not setup the project correctly. However the detail is fine and you can glue up right away. LHR was kind to let us choose what type of bit we need, forward thinking in my book.

Here is a picture of my laminated neck design i made a few years ago for the use of the 1/8" cut/mill bit. It was designed for the 1/8 cut bit to remove the taper the 1/8" ball will work 2 if you have one. :mrgreen:

LG

ByBry
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
The nice thing about using the cutting bit for carving is that you get to enjoy the snap and the ping as the bit breaks and slams the inside of the machine. Then you get to hunt for the broken bit lest it be inhaled by a critical machine component.

The best of all is the $38 you shell out for a new bit and collar because you can't buy just the bit. You must buy the assembly.

Don't use the cutting bit for carving.