PDA

View Full Version : Rock

woodworking
12-31-2009, 07:58 PM
I bought the Rock and installed it. I agree with everyone how quit it is. But my first piece was a disaster. I only had one day to get the job done so I installed the original QC back. My problem was the bit I think dropped so the depth of cut went through the board. I decide to continue and go for a training session I change the bit to a 60 degree it never touched the board. What did I do wrong.

woodworking

Spanglerg@hotmail.com
12-31-2009, 08:07 PM
ww, Are you using stop collars on your bits?

Ike
12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
I bought the Rock and installed it. I agree with everyone how quit it is. But my first piece was a disaster. I only had one day to get the job done so I installed the original QC back. My problem was the bit I think dropped so the depth of cut went through the board. I decide to continue and go for a training session I change the bit to a 60 degree it never touched the board. What did I do wrong.

woodworking

When you installed the QC again did you use locktite on the threads? Another question with the "Rock" you did tighten the screw with the T allen wrench and made sure the bit was far enough in the chuck?

Then when you change the bit to 60 degree what was the bit you were using before the change? Then did you go back in the designer and change the project to use the 60 degree bit?

If you design a project with certain bits and go through set up you can't just change the bit and expect the same results.

Maybe you can give us some more info and what you did step by step. Sounds like you tried to fool the machine and you can't do it.

Ike

woodworking
12-31-2009, 08:16 PM
I went through the set up with the rock for two bits 1/16 and 60 degree for the letters. I can't remember which one was ask for first. The first bit to cut was the 1/16 carving I cut out a Square hole 4 in by 3 in. The board was .75 thick almost done with the hole depth of cut .65 if cut through the board. I decided to complete the plaque the 60 degree bit was asked for I put it in and it never touched the board the text is centerline.

Ike
12-31-2009, 09:24 PM
I went through the set up with the rock for two bits 1/16 and 60 degree for the letters. I can't remember which one was ask for first. The first bit to cut was the 1/16 carving I cut out a Square hole 4 in by 3 in. The board was .75 thick almost done with the hole depth of cut .65 if cut through the board. I decided to complete the plaque the 60 degree bit was asked for I put it in and it never touched the board the text is centerline.

Hmm did you assign the 60 degree bit for the centerline? It defaults to the 90 degree. Another thing did you use the same bit in set up?

It would help to see the mpc. The order the bits go is what ever bit is used last will load first and the bit used first last. With the rock you need a bit stop so the machine will find the bit.

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
In MY opinion this problem has Nothing to do with the QC OR the ROCK.... It's ALL About the Bit Plate Touch..... Unless you were not paying attention and use a Cut Bit or Carving Bit that has the FLAT Spots in the Sides and it can CONFUSE the ROCK if you clamp down on the FLAT SPOT and the bit comes loose..... Make sure the FLAT Spot is off to the side...

When the bit plate comes out you MUST watch it touch the bit plate to be sure that it did in fact touch the bit plate. It is VERY common that junk has built up on the Z Rails, Z Bearings AND Z BELT that when you do a Carving bit it may touch correctly. Then with a V60 bit the Z HEAD must travel FURTHER DOWN since the bit is shorter and because the Rails, Bearings or Belts have dust or junk in them the Z Head hits the junk. It is looking for a increase in Z Motor Current when it touches the bit plate telling the Computer "THIS IS HOW LONG THE BIT IS".... So when the Z is going down with the SHORTER V60 and encounters DIRT or JUNK before touching the bit plate it tells the computer that the V60 is "THIS" Long.... And in your case.... "THIS LONG" is Incorrect.....

SO to solve this BEFORE you clean the rails WATCH it do this.... Then you will KNOW... ALWAYS watch the bit plate touch..... I even thought of placing a slice of insulated metal on top of the bit plate and a Battery Beeper... when the bit touches it grounds the beeper circuit and it beeps.... No Beep NO TOUCH.... But I always watch it....

Watching the Bit Touch tells you the health of your machine....

For the 50th time... Everyone get in the habit of watching the bit touch....

OK... Off the Soap Box....:roll::mrgreen::rolleyes:

AL

Ike
01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
In MY opinion this problem has Nothing to do with the QC OR the ROCK.... It's ALL About the Bit Plate Touch..... Unless you were not paying attention and use a Cut Bit or Carving Bit that has the FLAT Spots in the Sides and it can CONFUSE the ROCK if you clamp down on the FLAT SPOT and the bit comes loose..... Make sure the FLAT Spot is off to the side...

When the bit plate comes out you MUST watch it touch the bit plate to be sure that it did in fact touch the bit plate. It is VERY common that junk has built up on the Z Rails, Z Bearings AND Z BELT that when you do a Carving bit it may touch correctly. Then with a V60 bit the Z HEAD must travel FURTHER DOWN since the bit is shorter and because the Rails, Bearings or Belts have dust or junk in them the Z Head hits the junk. It is looking for a increase in Z Motor Current when it touches the bit plate telling the Computer "THIS IS HOW LONG THE BIT IS".... So when the Z is going down with the SHORTER V60 and encounters DIRT or JUNK before touching the bit plate it tells the computer that the V60 is "THIS" Long.... And in your case.... "THIS LONG" is Incorrect.....

SO to solve this BEFORE you clean the rails WATCH it do this.... Then you will KNOW... ALWAYS watch the bit plate touch..... I even thought of placing a slice of insulated metal on top of the bit plate and a Battery Beeper... when the bit touches it grounds the beeper circuit and it beeps.... No Beep NO TOUCH.... But I always watch it....

Watching the Bit Touch tells you the health of your machine....

For the 50th time... Everyone get in the habit of watching the bit touch....

OK... Off the Soap Box....:roll::mrgreen::rolleyes:

AL

Al I don't think it is a matter of it touching the bit plates if it doesn't touch the bit plate it would not start carving.

"I bought the Rock and installed it. I agree with everyone how quit it is. But my first piece was a disaster. I only had one day to get the job done so I installed the original QC back. My problem was the bit I think dropped so the depth of cut went through the board. I decide to continue and go for a training session I change the bit to a 60 degree it never touched the board. What did I do wrong.

woodworking "

What is confusing to me is, did the bit drop with the QC or "Rock"? What I think happen he started with the "Rock" the bit was not tighten or was tighten on the flat spot and then reinstalled the QC and with out restarting the project continued with the QC and the the bit height is changed now. Why the bit finder didn't give him the 1) bit not found 2) to continue? Unless it did?

I bet if he reloaded the project on the flash card and without changing chucks went started the project it would work. Or the very least turn the machine off let the computer reset and then using the same flash card and keeping one chuck it would work.

I think we are missing all the information. We need step by step ie. did woodworking change the chucks during the carve and continue or what?

Ike

woodworking
01-01-2010, 03:57 PM
The first board was done with the Rock from start to finish using the two bits 1/16 and 60 v groove I choose 60. When that did not work I turned off the machine and installed the QC a new board and the same pattern. I did check the 1/16 bit touching the plate with the Rock I don't know if the 60 v grove touched the plate with the Rock. With the second board installed with original QC carve great the first time. I will try it again using a stop block on both bits and watch that they touch the plate.

Shawnf2
01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Were u using an adapter sleeve in your rock? I have had a problem using the 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch adapter,the cut bits tend to slide out upon the initial cut,have to watch closely and stop and re tighten the bit before it goes through and breaks.I made an L bracket type jig out of a scrap piece of wood that is 1 1/2 inches long to get my depth set perfect everytime.

Shawn

woodworking
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Checking my machine I found that the bit is not touching the plate the same every-time. I found the cover sensor cable cut motor ( spindle motor ) that runs across the top right side to the motor had moved and is preventing the Y Truck from moving all the way to push the touch plate, I also found that the side of the plate is not smooth has a rough edge. I will repair all of this than carve another plaque.

woodworking

Ike
01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Checking my machine I found that the bit is not touching the plate the same every-time. I found the cover sensor cable cut motor ( spindle motor ) that runs across the top right side to the motor had moved and is preventing the Y Truck from moving all the way to push the touch plate, I also found that the side of the plate is not smooth has a rough edge. I will repair all of this than carve another plaque.

woodworking

Al I stand correct you were right as usual! Why ww never received can't find bit message I don't know? I remember LHR smoothing the edge of the bit finder. The issue of the bit plate not coming out is really a issue of the past. Blocking the plate open is NOT a good ideal, because like Al said watching it tells you the condition of your machine. Like a cable blocking the Z truck from hitting the plate to it needing a cleaning and lube.

I found I know all is well by listening when my z truck hits the bit plate it makes a snapping sound twice. If I don't hear that snap I usually get the can't find bit message!

Al is the still the champion of the Cw!!

Ike

Digitalwoodshop
01-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Al I stand correct you were right as usual! Why ww never received can't find bit message I don't know? I remember LHR smoothing the edge of the bit finder. The issue of the bit plate not coming out is really a issue of the past. Blocking the plate open is NOT a good ideal, because like Al said watching it tells you the condition of your machine. Like a cable blocking the Z truck from hitting the plate to it needing a cleaning and lube.

I found I know all is well by listening when my z truck hits the bit plate it makes a snapping sound twice. If I don't hear that snap I usually get the can't find bit message!

Al is the still the champion of the Cw!!

Ike

Ike,

I saw that earlier but did not comment on it... Was working... Covering the back of the White Boards with white reflective vinyl and was on a roll.....

What I was thinking was the Z hit a speed bump and reversed directions before touching the bit plate. That caused the Air Carve with the V60.

A Missed bit plate would give you the "where is the BIT?" error....

I have the bit plate blocked extended on all my machines.... But I still watch it touch.

Happy New Year Ike,

Your the MAN...

AL:mrgreen:

Ike
01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Ike,

I saw that earlier but did not comment on it... Was working... Covering the back of the White Boards with white reflective vinyl and was on a roll.....

What I was thinking was the Z hit a speed bump and reversed directions before touching the bit plate. That caused the Air Carve with the V60.

A Missed bit plate would give you the "where is the BIT?" error....

I have the bit plate blocked extended on all my machines.... But I still watch it touch.

Happy New Year Ike,

Your the MAN...

AL:mrgreen:

Lol ok bite my tongue! I didn't know you have your bit plates blocked! I have never had an issue with the bit plate a little compressed air and WD-40 couldn't fix! Like I said I listen for that snap, no snap "Danger Danger Will Robinson

Yes I watched Lost in Space, after Flipper or Lassies or was it the Three Stooges? No it was Green Acres, no Petticoat Junction. Hmm the Monsters, Adam's Family, Get Smart ? No it was McHale's Navy, Carol Burnett show no that was at night after Gun Smoke or Bonanza. I know the Andy Griffith show? Brady Bunch no that was later?

I know it was Johnny Quest! Ah shoot I can't remember!

Ike

woodworking
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I repaired all and carved another plaque. I made two spacer blocks for the bits. I had a problem with the second bit. The machine said it needed to re-define or continue. I re-defined twice I reinserted the 60 v grove bit twice before it continue on it's own. I think I need to
re-think the spacer idea. The plaque turned out good.

Thanks Too All for the advice

woodworking

Wilbur
01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I never re-define I go on to continue. It has always worked out for me. I never change bits when going through situp. I use the carving bit for each bit change. Going through the carveing and it is time to change bits I hit continue and everything works out ok.

Wilbur