PDA

View Full Version : "Select Bit" won't allow inset

Fritz
12-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm cutting out some shapes from 1/4" ply. Sometimes "Select Bit" will accept the inset, sometimes it won't. It will allow me to enter the inset (ie the shape is a complete closed line) but the 3D view shows it will cut a zero inset.

Details: I have 4 shapes on the board, 2 of them the offset works as advertised, 2 of them want to cut on the center line no matter what I set for the inset.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fritz

AskBud
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Attach your MPC so we may see what you have. also, tell us where, in the Carve list (on the Left) the items fall so we work on the correct ones.
AskBud

Fritz
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
well... I hope the file is attached. It's a bulkhead for a Corben Baby Ace Airplane, the other three bulkheads didn't give me nearly this much trouble.

I used "Break Figure" and deleted/re-drew segments until it looked like it will cut correctly. Now I have two "Select Bit" icons on "Line 22" one is slanted, I'm not what that means or why there are two of them now.

Also, sometimes when I open "Select Bit" to verify the depth and inset the inset changes from + to - or vice versa on all of the other cuts.

Thanks
Fritz

AskBud
12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
well... I hope the file is attached. It's a bulkhead for a Corben Baby Ace Airplane, the other three bulkheads didn't give me nearly this much trouble.

I used "Break Figure" and deleted/re-drew segments until it looked like it will cut correctly. Now I have two "Select Bit" icons on "Line 22" one is slanted, I'm not what that means or why there are two of them now.

Also, sometimes when I open "Select Bit" to verify the depth and inset the inset changes from + to - or vice versa on all of the other cuts.

Thanks
Fritz

1) Line # 22 has 2 bit icons, but only one actual bit assigned.
A) The small icon (left) is for the "line(s)" you drew.
B) The second bit icon is for the actual bit you assigned.
C) I verified this by deleting the chosen bit. That left only the dotted line you have been working with.
2) The "jump" from +/- or zero inset is probably because you jumped back in to the Bit Icon to do verification(s) and you click OK.
A) I consider this a possible flaw in the code.
B) Once you know the bit is correct, there may be a safer way to verify the Depth and Inset.
C) Look at the Tool Bar. You should see all the data (other than the selected bit). I'm attaching a picture of these fields.

See if this information solves your problem(s).

Gee, I think we just found my next AVI lesson!
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
wondered about the bit icons. sometimes i get as many as four and each one is larger and more angled.

AskBud
12-31-2009, 12:41 AM
wondered about the bit icons. sometimes i get as many as four and each one is larger and more angled.

That is the reason I have suggested, in the "Wish List" that the "Carve List" display the bit selected on each element.
AskBud

AskBud
12-31-2009, 01:25 AM
1) Line # 22 has 2 bit icons, but only one actual bit assigned.
A) The small icon (left) is for the "line(s)" you drew.
B) The second bit icon is for the actual bit you assigned.
C) I verified this by deleting the chosen bit. That left only the dotted line you have been working with.
2) The "jump" from +/- or zero inset is probably because you jumped back in to the Bit Icon to do verification(s) and you click OK.
A) I consider this a possible flaw in the code.
B) Once you know the bit is correct, there may be a safer way to verify the Depth and Inset.
C) Look at the Tool Bar. You should see all the data (other than the selected bit). I'm attaching a picture of these fields.

See if this information solves your problem(s).

Gee, I think we just found my next AVI lesson!
AskBud

OK, The new 104 MB AVI lesson is complete.
Its title is Bit Verification - Problems.
It's in my Download Directory, below, and/or you may also access it here.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Bit%20Verification%20-%20Problems.zip
AskBud

Fritz
12-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks AskBud,

That clears a lot up for me. Especially how not to screwup the insets.

Thanks again
Fritz