PDA

View Full Version : Christmas patterns

leesheridan
12-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Now that Christmas is over retailers are having sales on their stock. I picked up a few items at half price the other day thinking of scans for next year.

Chief
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Mike,

I'm presuming that you're talking about patterns. Which retailer are you referring to?

Chief

fwharris
12-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Mike,

I'm presuming that you're talking about patterns. Which retailer are you referring to?

Chief

Chief,

I think Mike was talking about objects that can be scanned to make patterns.

Chief
12-31-2009, 10:22 AM
FW,

I'm not too sure about that. Buy items so they can be scanned and placed in patterns would be much more expensive that just finding a photo of the item and converting that into a pattern. I think Mike was talking about patterns.......... but I could be wrong.

Chief

fwharris
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
FW,

I'm not too sure about that. Buy items so they can be scanned and placed in patterns would be much more expensive that just finding a photo of the item and converting that into a pattern. I think Mike was talking about patterns.......... but I could be wrong.

Chief

Chief,

I'm sure!!! Trust me!!

Using the scanning probe on 3D objects is much easier than working with photos. After doing the scan and uploading it into the pattern editor you have and instant 3D pattern. I have picked up a bunch of items at ARC, goodwill and yard sales for $.50 to $5.00 for this purpose.

Check out the link in my sig. to see some of the patterns I've done from scans.

Ike
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
FW,

Chief

Chief, that is what Mike is saying,
"Now that Christmas is over retailers are having sales on their stock. I picked up a few items at half price the other day thinking of scans for next year."

Most stores like Walmart, Walgreen, K-mart etc. need to get rid of there Christmas junk like ceramic dishes I saw in Walmart the same maple leaf candy dish as one of the POM the maple and oak leaf candy dish. The one in Walmart is ceramic and was $2.00 regular price. So I bet it is less then a dollar now!

So other things like Nut Crackers soldiers and snowmen, santa figures etc. can be scanned and made into a pattern. Yes a long process to scan some things, but the outcome is great almost everytime!

Ike

Chief
12-31-2009, 11:35 PM
FW,

When clicked on the 2nd link, it added an http// to the URL. It took a couple of clicks to look at the beginning. Anyhow, I went to the Pattern Depot because I couldn't get the first link to work and the Pattern Depot didn't recognize "ringneckblues"

Chief

Chief
12-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Ike,

Now I understand the logic. I'll have to see if my wife will go and pick up some of that junk. I don't like Walmart and have only been in one once that I can recall.

Chief

fwharris
12-31-2009, 11:42 PM
FW,

When clicked on the 2nd link, it added an http// to the URL. It took a couple of clicks to look at the beginning. Anyhow, I went to the Pattern Depot because I couldn't get the first link to work and the Pattern Depot didn't recognize "ringneckblues"

Chief

Chief,

Thanks for the heads up on the signature link!! It works now!!

On the depot page check the left side that lists all of the vendors, I am at the bottom of the list...

Chief
12-31-2009, 11:44 PM
FW,

Good. I shall visit now and see the source of your thoughts.

Chief

Chief
12-31-2009, 11:49 PM
FW,

I was surprised in that I didn't see one single Christmas pattern. Having said that, the one that surprised me the most and is probably the only one in the whole of Pattern Depot was the "Shingle Maker". I don't know how it sells but I do like it. it's different and it's original......... without looking like some crap that Andy Warhola made.

Chief

fwharris
12-31-2009, 11:57 PM
FW,

I was surprised in that I didn't see one single Christmas pattern. Having said that, the one that surprised me the most and is probably the only one in the whole of Pattern Depot was the "Shingle Maker". I don't know how it sells but I do like it. it's different and it's original......... without looking like some crap that Andy Warhola made.

Chief

LOL.. Nope not one I would call a Christmas pattern. Was not my thing when I was out junking and looking for items to scan.

Yes, the shingle maker is one of my favorites!! I picked it up the first time I put eyes on it. Did not even wait for it to be 50% off.. Did you do the "try" option in the depot to get a good look at it???

Thanks for looking..

Chief
01-01-2010, 11:22 AM
FW,

I didn't use the "Try" option. Since Sears hasn't returned my CC yet, all it would do is make me madder than I am. I spend at least $2k on tools each year (ask my wife!!) and Sears is about to lose a good customer.

Chief

dcalvin4
01-01-2010, 11:44 AM
FW,

I didn't use the "Try" option. Since Sears hasn't returned my CC yet, all it would do is make me madder than I am. I spend at least $2k on tools each year (ask my wife!!) and Sears is about to lose a good customer.

Chief

how do i find super shinglers pattern
thanks denny

fwharris
01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
how do i find super shinglers pattern
thanks denny

Denny here is a link to an image of it.
http://patterns.carvewright.com/vendor/deliverable/thumbnail/3822

It is in the pattern depot, click on the pattern link in my signature for the actual pattern page..

Chief
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
FW,

What's the significance of the "16 bit" in the corner?

Chief

mtylerfl
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
FW,

What's the significance of the "16 bit" in the corner?

Chief

Perhaps over-simplified explanation, but...it means the pattern was created with the more recent version of Designer (and/or Pattern Editor) that uses 16-bit "greyscale processing" when converting the greyscale relief heightmap into a ptn format.

fwharris
01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Perhaps over-simplified explanation, but...it means the pattern was created with the more recent version of Designer (and/or Pattern Editor) that uses 16-bit "greyscale processing" when converting the greyscale relief heightmap into a ptn format.

Michael,

Thanks for the explanation on this. I know I could not have answered it other than saying it was because of one of the uprades to the software.

Chief
01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
FW,

I'm glad Mike knew the answer but it appears to be overkill. I'm not sure my eyes would recognize a difference of one bit of 256 choices, let alone 65,536 bits (16 bit word), IIRC.

Chief

mtylerfl
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
FW,

I'm glad Mike knew the answer but it appears to be overkill. I'm not sure my eyes would recognize a difference of one bit of 256 choices, let alone 65,536 bits (16 bit word), IIRC.

Chief

Sometimes I don't see the difference either, but it really depends upon the pattern. There have been many cases where there is indeed a noticeable difference. For example, domed shapes appear to be smoother with the new 16-bit support, so it's a step in the right direction.

Chief
01-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Mike,

You're right, up to a point. Having 16 bit grayscale, rather than 8 bit, means the file is going to be almost twice as big. On another current thread, one poster was mentioning having problems while transferring large files. It seems that all pattern files go into one large file so then RAM capacity of your machine becomes ultra-important. Also, it tells me, because of the other thread, to back up this file almost daily, the simplest doing sequential back-ups.

Chief

mtylerfl
01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Mike,

You're right, up to a point. Having 16 bit grayscale, rather than 8 bit, means the file is going to be almost twice as big.

No, I don't think so in this case. Not the same as a conventional graphics program (which I believe the file size would actually be four times larger). The 16-bit "processing" by Designer/Pattern Editor yields a dithered down 8-bit greyscale file. (Our CarveWright machines still only read 256 shades of grey...i.e., 8-bit). Doing it this way can yield a better overall quality pattern while at the same time, keeps the file sizes about the same as before. I think Jeff Birt has a better understanding of the process and may be able to clarify, although it probably doesn't matter much in any case. It is what it is.;)

On another current thread, one poster was mentioning having problems while transferring large files. It seems that all pattern files go into one large file so then RAM capacity of your machine becomes ultra-important. Also, it tells me, because of the other thread, to back up this file almost daily, the simplest doing sequential back-ups.

Chief

It is always best, when possible, to keep individual PTN (and MPW) backups separate from the "master file" (patterns are placed in the favorites.mpn when they are imported - if you directly import a ptn without saving the ptn as a separate file, then the mpn is the only location for that particular pattern). Keeping individual PTN (and MPW, if applicable) files in their own directories/folders on your hard drive (and/or backup drive) enables you to easily transfer any or all PTN's (and MPW's) individually to any computer without having to transfer the actual "favorites.mpn" file just for a pattern or two.

I'm still not sure about the RAM issue myself, but like I said before, a couple folks have said as the mpn file grows, it seemed to affect their computer's efficiency. Again, I have not noticed any "bogging down" myself. Backup up is a part of a sensible regimen that all of us need to do, of course. I have scheduled full backups for all of my hard drives three times a week, in the wee hours of the morning. I also perform intermittent manual backups of certain folders/files, when I feel so inclined.