PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Spring Broken, Replace all of it?

Creekwood
12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I was lubing the shaft (about 16 hours of Ops.) and the inner spring came out in three sections:(.
I am assuming from reading the past threads that I need to replace the whole thing?
The outside shaft looks OK, I am not seeing any burnt sections on the shaft.
And the inner shaft seems OK.

The only other disappointment I was on hold so long with CW that I decided to email instead to buy the replacement shaft.
It a same to want to spend money and have to sit on hold.
It maybe because of the holidays?

PCW
12-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Here is a link to Sears where you can order the parts on-line.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=133.217540

Creekwood
12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Thank you for the quick response, I hate to sound cheap but I am assuming I cannot get just the inner spring? Although the saft may have been damaged in the inside?

jiml
12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
As of about 3-4 months ago you could get the inner spring by itself. I bought one complete cable assembly and three inner springs from LHR.

scamp62
12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Ya I had the inner spring break on me last Friday, but it took out my RPM magnet on my cutting motor, not only you can’t just get the spring (what a 10.00 item ?) you have to get a 75.00 assembly !!! then the little magnet ! if it comes lose you need a new cutting motor assembly !! (fortunately it’s covered under warranty) a lot of cost for a little spring !!

Creekwood
12-31-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input, I went ahead and purchased the whole assy from Sears, (5 dollars cheaper then CW).
In this situation maybe the spring broke from heat and replacement of the whole shaft might be a good idea, but I still think in this economy I should have the option of just the spiring.
I saw the thread that the spring was bought by itself, but after about 1/2 hour on hold with CW I gave up:confused:

chebytrk
12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the input, I went ahead and purchased the whole assy from Sears, (5 dollars cheaper then CW).
In this situation maybe the spring broke from heat and replacement of the whole shaft might be a good idea, but I still think in this economy I should have the option of just the spiring.
I saw the thread that the spring was bought by itself, but after about 1/2 hour on hold with CW I gave up:confused:

My CC is under the 5yr extended warranty. I wonder if they'll replace the flex shaft spring when I take it in for it's regular once a year service (it's due now). Also the plastic piece where the bit comes down (keypad side) appears to have had a small hole wore in to it. I know I can fill it with glue, but I still wonder if they'll replace things like this. Anyone know or have had these replaced under an "extended warranty"?

Creekwood
12-31-2009, 09:06 AM
I wish I had purchased a 5 year warranty, so far in the last 2 years, I have had to replace the belts, chuck, and now flexshaft.

I know things break after time, but I really take care of my equipment and expect this equipment to work.
But what is really frustrating the hold time with CW

Wilbur
12-31-2009, 10:45 AM
on the regular once a year service. Is this something Sears does? Did not know that.
Just sent mine off to Sears for cut motor. With this trip I have more than paid for the 5 yr warranty.

I just got a second CC with the warranty. Now I can be carving while one is in the shop.

Just put a western seane on a cedar chest.

chebytrk
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
on the regular once a year service. Is this something Sears does? Did not know that.
Just sent mine off to Sears for cut motor. With this trip I have more than paid for the 5 yr warranty.

I just got a second CC with the warranty. Now I can be carving while one is in the shop.

Just put a western seane on a cedar chest.

When I purchased my 5yr extended warranty last month, Sears told me I was authorized to send it in once a year for a "tune up service" as part of the warranty program.

Wilbur
12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for that info. I will keep that in mine. The first time I sent mine in it came back without the bit and filter plus they left a loose bearn loose on the Z truck. That was not a problem and they said they would order me a bit and filter, we will see. I have to say. It is a good machine. I got little over 550 hr with very little trouble.

Wilbur