PDA

View Full Version : problems with cut path

uabrother198
12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
My project is four coasters. It will carve the four patterns perfectly. The problem starts when I cut. The head will start in the right spot on each pattern, but will not follow the cut path on any of the patterns. Can anyone help me?

Gerald Bennett
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
You probably are going to need to attach the mpc file so someone can look at it, but don't do that if it is a purchased pattern as those are copyrighted

uabrother198
12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
It is a purchased pattern. I have used this same project many times with no problem, so I don't think it is in the project. But I could be wrong.

fwharris
12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
things to check or do.

Do you have masking tape on the board edge that runs on the brass roller?

Is the board cupped or bowed? Does it have a good flat/square edge? Could be loosing contact with the brass roller

What is your head pressure? To low or high the board will not move correctly through the machine.

What is the temp in your shop? to cold and the machine will not work right...

cnsranch
12-29-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm guessing that the bit is cutting a circular path, but not where it's supposed to. If so, the machine is losing contact with the board - the machine thinks the board is someplace it isn't. That's typically caused by either the board losing contact with the brass roller because of it being warped, or the roller is missing its rubber o-ring, the other possible is the board's edges not being parallel to one another, causing the board to hang up. Send AW's kids to college and use masking tape along the bottom edge of the board along the roller side, and check for the o-ring, and squareness of the board. If those are all well, could be head pressure. What else am I missing??

cnsranch
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
You need to go on Millionaire, Mr. Harris, with those fast fingers :mrgreen:

fwharris
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
You need to go on Millionaire, Mr. Harris, with those fast fingers :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Some times I do get there first!!!
It does help when the question is one that has been asked many times and the answers are usually the same!!;)

I did forget about the O ring though!!

uabrother198
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't using the masking tape. I put that on and it runs great, again thanks.:D

fwharris
12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I wasn't using the masking tape. I put that on and it runs great, again thanks.:D

Glad to hear that was your problem!!

Digital Al will very happy!!!:mrgreen: