PDA

View Full Version : Good font for small text

soomro
07-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Hello carvers. What is a good font for small size text, such as 1/4" or 1/2" high. I have tried Arial and Times Newroman with 60 and 90 degree bits, but no good.

Thanks
Munawar

Fear is good if it makes you cautious
Fear is bad if it paralyzes you.

pkunk
07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I've had good results with New York at about an inch.

soomro
07-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks, I'll try it, but I wanted something smaller for when I want to put things as "From Munawar" on the back of signs and boxes.

Kenm810
07-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Soomro, Posted a week or os ago he was looking for a good clean font for text ½” or smaller.
Now I find myself trying to find the same thing. I have found several that looked decent at 1”,
but ran into a project that would look better with a smaller text in centerline.
All I need is its name, if anyone out there has seen or used one including are old friends the Beta carvers,
I would appreciate a post with its name or suggestions.

RC Woodworks
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello carvers. What is a good font for small size text, such as 1/4" or 1/2" high. I have tried Arial and Times Newroman with 60 and 90 degree bits, but no good.

Thanks
Munawar

Fear is good if it makes you cautious
Fear is bad if it paralyzes you.

soomro, I recently made this sign with 1" letters and another with less then 1". The Savan sign I had to make in Cherry, the old growth redwood I normally use the letter chipped.

With the love story sign I used a 90 degree bit and used software 1.029 demo centerline text.

The thing to do is try the text you want on a scrap board trying 3/4" high and up. Try is raised and recessed and different types of materials.

Rick

newcarver
07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Text is tricky, try thicker text but set the depth to about .030 to .050. it shallows it up and allows for more detail. At least thats how i do it.

Digitalwoodshop
07-16-2007, 09:41 PM
I tried doing text smaller than 1 inch and even cut off a 6 inch long rotary engraver bit to use in my Carve Machine but the results were very bad. The Carve machine couldn't do it. I bought a rotary engraver to do small text. I have 2 Laser Engravers too and I am in the same boat as you... I want to put my name on the stuff I do...... Might just get a branding iron with my name on it.....

AL

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks Guys, these give a few avenues to look in to. I haven't really gotten into fine print, small fonts, or any kind of machine or Laser engraving. A little more trial and error, I guess its alway part of tinkering with something new. I might try a few Different bits in my Brand New 1/8" bit holders, I'm not expecting to much from the bits, but new bit holder have worked out great. Oh -- by the way one of the grunts from one of the other shops stopped in and said he had seen a couple of my machines carvings, and asked if I could carve his name on his Golf Balls. ---- before I could answer he turned and walk away, it must have been, the "are you nuts" look on my face that gave it away. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Thanks again

pkunk
07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
I use this (centerline) on the backs of my carvings. 3 lines in 1 inch

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
pkunk, Thanks bunches,
You can't believe how much time your centerline post has Saved me!! http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Again All

RC Woodworks
07-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Ken, in my post above the sign love story contains 12 lines at 33" and all 1" letters. So I think the verdict is 1" is the safest size!

Rick

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Rick,

My machine is carving away as I type,
I loaded the suggestions to be carved on a project board to see how they come out.
I'm paying extra attention to the upper case ABPR and the lower case adbgpq plus a few others of course.
I plan to try them with a few different Bits. I'll post what I find out. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Thankshttp://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes: OOOPPPSS ---- I’ll have to wait a little on that, -- one of the new guys accidentally reversed the negative air flow on a couple of the shops, and filled them both with lacquer solvent and laminate adhesive fumes from my shop. Now half of their guys are running around looking for paper bags or any handy trash can, and the other half are wondering around mumbling to themselves with wide eyes and big stupid grins. There ya go Better Living Through Chemistry.

ps. one of the gals from the office just came back to see what was going on,
took one whiff grabbed her nose and ask how could we stand the smell of these fumes,
mostly outside in the parking lot I answered, ---hmmm she didn't even look back. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

BobC33
07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks Guys, these give a few avenues to look in to. I haven't really gotten into fine print, small fonts, or any kind of machine or Laser engraving. A little more trial and error, I guess its alway part of tinkering with something new. I might try a few Different bits in my Brand New 1/8" bit holders, I'm not expecting to much from the bits, but new bit holder have worked out great. Oh -- by the way one of the grunts from one of the other shops stopped in and said he had seen a couple of my machines carvings, and asked if I could carve his name on his Golf Balls. ---- before I could answer he turned and walk away, it must have been, the "are you nuts" look on my face that gave it away. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif
Thanks again
Where did you get the 1/8" bit holders?

Kenm810
07-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Hey bob,
just follow this post and Ron will help you with what you need.
So far they have been working better then I had hoped. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3678

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Here's a photo of my First shot at small font text Carved on 1/2" MDf.
Unfortunately the picture is quite deceiving,
The upper case letters actually measure a little under 3/8 of an inch tall,
I'll put something in the next photo to add scale to the font.
I hope you don't mind pkunk that I borrowed and changed your tag line a little,
but it had most of the upper and lower case letters I was interested in.
Typing in centerline is a dream, and I'm looking forward to it being available to all of us soon.
I'll try for a even smaller type tomorrow. As pkunk said 3 lines in 1' and readable wow. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

pkunk
07-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Quite alright, but inside is one word. :p I give freely, but Ken - get it right!:rolleyes:

Kenm810
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Yup, Your right, the village idiot must have been at my key board again today.http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif-----http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

Where's My Proof Reader!

How This one

Dan-Woodman
07-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Ya no---- My cw mispelled a name the other day , Or ahh could it have been the computer?

scgrout
07-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Take a look at my post tonight in "Gallery" titled "Quick Project in Plexiglass" where I "carved" a protractor out of 1/16 plexiglass. The smallest numbers are about 1/4 high (photo's shown plus the mpc file with the numbers).

I did the numbers by drawing my own font in Carvewrite. Technique is - use Carvewright to type out the text you want. Trace this text with lines and splines in the center. Delete original text. Then cut 0.30" inces deep with a 60 degree dremel bit (I bought the adapter referenced in these forums for using 1/8 in dremel bits). I made the whole alphabet and all numbers so I copy/paste to made words.

Is a pain but works for simple tasks. If you use the same word(s) or numbers over and over (like your name on the back), you can store your alpha-numerics in a mpc file and copy/paste to whatever project your working on.

Thanks,

Scott

Gman_Ind
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I am using RJustices excellent 1/8" bit adapters and Dremel bits to carve my shop name in the back of my plaques, nice and clean except the @ in my email address gets a bit messed up but otherwise it is fine.

911guy
08-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Might just get a branding iron with my name on it.....

AL

I had used a branding iron at one time but I found it was too time consuming waiting for the iron to heat up. I now use and would suggest using Avery return labels printed with your business name. I have on mine "Custom Made by xxxxxxx". The labels are small enough but the only downfall is people can remove them with ease. I attach them on the bottom of my products. Hope that helps.

cajunpen
08-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I had used a branding iron at one time but I found it was too time consuming waiting for the iron to heat up. I now use and would suggest using Avery return labels printed with your business name. I have on mine "Custom Made by xxxxxxx". The labels are small enough but the only downfall is people can remove them with ease. I attach them on the bottom of my products. Hope that helps.

Another option for identifying your work is to install Name Medallions on the back. You simply drill a 1" hole, using a Forsnter bit, about 1/16" deep - glue in the Medallion and you are done. They look great and are super easy.

To look or order some Medallions go to the Wooden Post (http://woodenpost.com/products/identification_medallions.htm). Gary Neely is in the hospital right now, but I suspect that someone is minding the store.

jspringertx
08-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I use a wood burning pen (available at Michaels) to add my name and year to the back of my items. I usually sign it and date it.

I am using RJustices excellent 1/8" bit adapters and Dremel bits to carve my shop name in the back of my plaques, nice and clean except the @ in my email address gets a bit messed up but otherwise it is fine.

Andy C
08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Will supply customized 1" laser engraved medallions in lots of 25.

Price will depend on prep work. Simple text will cost about 70 cents each.

Andy

jspringertx
08-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I use this (centerline) on the backs of my carvings. 3 lines in 1 inch

I assume you used the 90 degree bit. Which font did you select. I have centerline.

pkunk
08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Will supply customized 1" laser engraved medallions in lots of 25.

Price will depend on prep work. Simple text will cost about 70 cents each.

Andy
Andy, could you post a sample pic?

pkunk
08-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I assume you used the 90 degree bit. Which font did you select. I have centerline.
Use the 60° for a fine light line & that was Trebuchet MS, but any plain, straight font will work .

jspringertx
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Just what the doctor ordered for the cribbage board my friend wants me to do. Thanks!

911guy
08-03-2007, 01:28 PM
To look or order some Medallions go to the Wooden Post (http://woodenpost.com/products/identification_medallions.htm).

Cajun,

Looks like a great idea. I would probably use something like this over my labels except the 1 inch diameter is a limitation for my work as my labeling is done on 3/4 inch....oh well, back to the drawing board.:roll:

Andy C
08-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Will post a sample as soon as can get my camera working.

Also can cut to different diameters.

Andy

Andy C
08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
This is a picture of the disks I make and use.

Best pic my son in law could do neither of us have a macro lens. The shape is a perfect circle.

The actual disk is 1" in diameter, so this is enlarged quite a bit.

Andy

pkunk
08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
What are they made of?

Andy C
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
A plastic back with a metallic surface. This is brushed gold. Other finishes are available.

Andy

lhanner
09-11-2010, 02:51 AM
If you look at the Idea section you will see Amazing Grace carving it look small like 1/4 or so. I was told by LHR tech that it was done with centerline text, and someone carved it, but who. I would like to know how what font and size they used, I'm tiring to do Rock of ages on a 8 x 10 The music symbols look ok but the text is crap.

bjbethke
09-11-2010, 10:21 AM
If you look at the Idea section you will see Amazing Grace carving it look small like 1/4 or so. I was told by LHR tech that it was done with centerline text, and someone carved it, but who. I would like to know how what font and size they used, I'm tiring to do Rock of ages on a 8 x 10 The music symbols look ok but the text is crap.
I did not make the original MPC; back in August I made a new MPC to fix the font image.
The project was made to carve with the 90 degree bit.

I changed the bit to a 60 degree bit and changed the height to .500 inches and locked things to a 1/4 inch grid. This made the letters carve deeper. You could carve this on a larger board that also would make the letters carve deeper.

Here is the new MPC. The font used was Times New Roman.

lhanner
09-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the info, and sharing the mpc file. Although, I would like to carve it on a smaller board 8 x 10.

bjbethke
09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the info, and sharing the mpc file. Although, I would like to carve it on a smaller board 8 x 10.
That's easy to fix. Here is a MPC on a 8x10 board.

bjbethke
09-13-2010, 02:36 AM
lhanner
You sent me a PM; I can not send images on a PM so I will post the images on the forum.

You asked if I made the Bar and symbol fonts, No I just downloaded the font from the WEB

I do not read music – I just find a song book and type out the bar lines to match the book.

If you send me your e-mail address I can send you more data that way.

If you use the font thing, use the letter image to find the sq # and match the note you need to that letter number. Hope this helps. I put my e-mail in the PM, I do not like to put my e-mail address on the Forum.