PDA

View Full Version : File conversion request

vbrabble
12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Can/will anybody convert .igs files to a pattern on png file?

I want to make some grips for my Colt 1911 model .45.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays and Regards!

Vic B.

PCW
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Can/will anybody convert .igs files to a pattern on png file?

I want to make some grips for my Colt 1911 model .45.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays and Regards!

Vic B.

See if this helps.

vbrabble
12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
It looks great! I will try this evening and give a update. Thanks a million!

Vic B

PCW
12-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Vic,

Actually this pattern was posted previously by another member. I do have the original cad files but these should work fine. Just double check your measurements to your old grips before carving. I do like to do the grips by hand and If you notice in the picture below the jig that I use to hold the slabs while belt sanding/pattern/drill guide/drill and set drill. Makes it pretty easy.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo54/pcwholesale/Grips.png

TIMCOSBY
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
is absolutly super nice.

vbrabble
12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Dan,

Everything look perfect until it was time for the cutout, then I had a Y axis stall. I am going to break down the machine and give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication. It is past time.

I only can hope that I can achieve just a small level of the workmanship shown. I have been practicing on poplar until I can get grips right.

Can the CarveWright carve antlers, or is that material to hard?

Regards,
Vic B.

cnsranch
12-28-2009, 09:36 AM

I think it can - I've asked that before.

I plan on giving it a try when the weather changes.

AskBud
12-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Dan,

Everything look perfect until it was time for the cutout, then I had a Y axis stall. I am going to break down the machine and give it a thorough cleaning and lubrication. It is past time.

I only can hope that I can achieve just a small level of the workmanship shown. I have been practicing on poplar until I can get grips right.

Regards,
Vic B.
Are you doing the cut-out in one pass, or are you applying a Max-Cut-Depth per pass? I use a (.2 or .25) Max and eliminate stalls and breakage. Dull bits can cause the same problem.
AskBud

PCW
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Dan,

Regards,
Vic B.

Vic,

Not sure of your board thickness that you are carving but if it is over .250 you may want to set your cutout to a maximum pass of .250. Also use the flip cut so that you cut outside of the pattern.

Machine should carve stag with no problems.

vbrabble
12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Dan,

Thanks again for your helpful advice.

I am using 3/4" thick poplar. My pattern Depth is .687 and Height of 100. I selected that so the grips will be as close to 1/4" in thickness as possible before belt sanding. My Feather and Draft settings are set to None along with the Bit Optimization set to Best. Also my Cut-Out is set to Flip Cut. I will incorporate the Cut-Out Control suggestions you provided by adjusting the tab settings and maximum pass depth.

I noticed in your screen shot it appears you have a feather. Do you have a better setting suggestions for Feather and Draft.

Vic B.

PCW
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Dan,

I noticed in your screen shot it appears you have a feather. Do you have a better setting suggestions for Feather and Draft.

Vic B.

Vic,

You can try this mpc. It is set to max .250 flip cut.

vbrabble
12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Vic,

You can try this mpc. It is set to max .250 flip cut.

Dan,

Thanks again. I will try again this weekend and I will post pix of progress.

Happy New Year!

Vic B.

Madmachinist
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Totally new to carvewright so bear with me. Now what are the advantages of using a pattern as opposed to a .mpc file? How would I go about inserting those two sides in sled on the program. I am thinking about something that has .3 deep pockets sized to just fit those grips. I can't use a lot of stock as I plan on using some very expensive material. Also, How would I add patterns like different checkering or text or drawings on the surface of those grips. Thanks folks, I am intersted in doing inlays.

cnsranch
04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Totally new to carvewright so bear with me. Now what are the advantages of using a pattern as opposed to a .mpc file? How would I go about inserting those two sides in sled on the program. I am thinking about something that has .3 deep pockets sized to just fit those grips. I can't use a lot of stock as I plan on using some very expensive material. Also, How would I add patterns like different checkering or text or drawings on the surface of those grips. Thanks folks, I am intersted in doing inlays.

First of all, welcome!!

Second, if you haven't already, go to CW's website, and download and read all of the monthly Tips and Tricks there - you'll get most of the answers to your questions.

RE patterns vs mpc's, the mpc is the file you will create in Designer that you upload to the card and insert in the machine to carve your project. A pattern is a carveable image that you place on Designer's board as your are creating your mpc.

Again, start with the T&T's, and don't forget to post some pics of your creations (we love pics).

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_25.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Madmachinist
04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
T&T's? whats that?

dbfletcher
04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
T&T's? whats that?

"T&T" -> Tips and Tricks... found here....

http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

Doug Fletcher