PDA

View Full Version : New machine on it's way~disabled user.

Metalhead781
12-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Well i took the plunge and ordered a Carvewright. I have about ten years professional woodworking experience and a few personal years as well. In aug of 2008 i started suffering from severe tremors along with balance and coordination issues. I ordered this machine so help me do the things i just can't do on a regular basis anymore. This includes, mortis and tenon work among other things. I've been reading this forum for about a week. I realize that you need a strong mechanical aptitude to own of of these machines. I have used CNC machines in the past. Cnc foam cutters, and small mills. I've seen allot of frustrated users with issues. I just think it's funny when u compare these issues with other cnc routers on the market. Imagine paying $10,000 for a machine and going through all these quirks let alone $2000 for this one. I've already learned allot about this machine from this forum and it's much appreciated. 8)

c6craig
12-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the club!

Happy carving,
Craig

Kenm810
12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Lots of good Info here to read and loads of Folks willing to help answer questions if they can.
It's also a great idea to read through the past issues Tips & Tricks to help you start running projects on your new carver.
Check for any loose screws or nuts and bolts, and that the Flex-Shaft is lubed and ready to go before firing up your machine.

Again Welcome to the CW Forum

temler
12-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Well i took the plunge and ordered a Carvewright. I have about ten years professional woodworking experience and a few personal years as well. In aug of 2008 i started suffering from severe tremors along with balance and coordination issues. I ordered this machine so help me do the things i just can't do on a regular basis anymore. This includes, mortis and tenon work among other things. I've been reading this forum for about a week. I realize that you need a strong mechanical aptitude to own of of these machines. I have used CNC machines in the past. Cnc foam cutters, and small mills. I've seen allot of frustrated users with issues. I just think it's funny when u compare these issues with other cnc routers on the market. Imagine paying $10,000 for a machine and going through all these quirks let alone $2000 for this one. I've already learned allot about this machine from this forum and it's much appreciated. 8)

HI Metalhead

Welcome to the world of CW and CC machine, I too use to run and fix the large CNC machines and I am so surprised how well this machine works, yes there are some little problems with the machine but when you’re trying not to pay 10 times as much, that is to be expected. I have had a few problems but it not heard to repair even from my wheelchair, I also spent many years as a professional carpenter/woodworker, (27 years before I got stuck in this #$@# wheelchair) this is the only thing that has kept me from taking the long walk of a short bridge. It will keep your mind on something else. I know what you’re going through, I have RSD which is a pain condition that messes with your Sympathetic nerve systems, causes unbelievable pain, muscle spasm, and other problems. I finally am able to get in my shop now, my dad (85 year old) has made the shop lower so I can get to things. I got my machine at the end of 2006 and I have not done much with it till mow. I have had a lot of surgeries and been through a lot of drugs to find some pain relief, I have two spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back and a spinal pain pump which is what has made able to move enough to work in the shop again. I thought about the little problem I have with my machine and then I think of the problems I have had with my pain pump, the catheter that goes into the spinal fluid has broken twice and I have had to go back and let them cut me open to put a new one in and they don't take the old one out it just stays in the spine somewhere at the bottom of the spine, I would rather change the drive gears or cut motor than my spinal catheter. You have to have a sense of humor to make it through life and this is a great place to be and get all the help you want.
This is the greatest group of friends and helpers you will find. So welcome to your new life of make chips fly. Sorry so long but i want you to feel welcome here.
Take care
Tim

Metalhead781
12-27-2009, 08:38 AM
HI Metalhead

Welcome to the world of CW and CC machine, I too use to run and fix the large CNC machines and I am so surprised how well this machine works, yes there are some little problems with the machine but when you’re trying not to pay 10 times as much, that is to be expected. I have had a few problems but it not heard to repair even from my wheelchair, I also spent many years as a professional carpenter/woodworker, (27 years before I got stuck in this #$@# wheelchair) this is the only thing that has kept me from taking the long walk of a short bridge. It will keep your mind on something else. I know what you’re going through, I have RSD which is a pain condition that messes with your Sympathetic nerve systems, causes unbelievable pain, muscle spasm, and other problems. I finally am able to get in my shop now, my dad (85 year old) has made the shop lower so I can get to things. I got my machine at the end of 2006 and I have not done much with it till mow. I have had a lot of surgeries and been through a lot of drugs to find some pain relief, I have two spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back and a spinal pain pump which is what has made able to move enough to work in the shop again. I thought about the little problem I have with my machine and then I think of the problems I have had with my pain pump, the catheter that goes into the spinal fluid has broken twice and I have had to go back and let them cut me open to put a new one in and they don't take the old one out it just stays in the spine somewhere at the bottom of the spine, I would rather change the drive gears or cut motor than my spinal catheter. You have to have a sense of humor to make it through life and this is a great place to be and get all the help you want.
This is the greatest group of friends and helpers you will find. So welcome to your new life of make chips fly. Sorry so long but i want you to feel welcome here.
Take care
Tim

I can appreciate what you're going through, i'm just lucky to only need the #@$%&$# chair on occasion, besides i've got a new helper coming. I'm gonna make her stain and paint everything ;)

thanks
MH

Jeff_Birt
12-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I've been reading this forum for about a week. I realize that you need a strong mechanical aptitude to own of of these machines. I have used CNC machines in the past. Cnc foam cutters, and small mills. I've seen allot of frustrated users with issues. I just think it's funny when u compare these issues with other cnc routers on the market. Imagine paying $10,000 for a machine and going through all these quirks let alone $2000 for this one.

All powered woodworking tools require some modicum of mechanical aptitude. The more complex the machine the greater the skill needed to operate it and service it.

I have built/installed/serviced automated (CNC) machines that cost from a few thousand dollars to a quarter of a million dollars. Every single one of them needed regular maintenance and TLC. The one thing I always found is that the skill and care exhibited by the operator had a dramatic effect on how well the machine ran and the quality of work it produced.

It seems like you have spent a good deal of time researching the machine so you'll have a good idea of what it can and cannot do. You can also download a trial of the Designer software from www.carvewright.com (http://www.carvewright.com). Also, look under the Support tab for the Tips&Tricks and tutorials. They will help you avoid many of the common newbie 'pilot error' mistakes.

Metalhead781
12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Jeff
Thanks for the info on the software however i downloaded it the first day i found out about the machine.

MH;)

Gerald Bennett
12-27-2009, 02:26 PM
I am still new to the machine myself but I find the lack of a dust collection system is the biggest pain, that dust gets everyplace and causes problems, I added one made by floyd at http://ringneckblues.com and between that and a lot of cleaning to get all the sawdust out of the various nooks and crannies I can finally get good carves again. Adding a dust collection system requires cutting the cover to make it fit and that voids the warranty (unless you buy a replacement cover if you have to return it for service) but it makes clean-up so much easier, heck I have just about run out of warranty hours making firewood caused by "Z" errors which seem to have been caused by sawdust that losing the warranty isn't that big a deal to me and was well worth adding it. Hope you enjoy your machine :)