PDA

View Full Version : Lithos

jpeter14
12-25-2009, 06:07 PM
This is some late Christmas lithos and stand, daughter and friend. Late due to a back problem, going to need surgery.
Lithos are 4" X 6" back lit with a puck light from Lowes. Used some Hallmark tissue paper between clear sheets to create the reddish glow on the roses.
The lions were carved separate from 1/4" poplar, gold leafed, and then glued on.

jpeter14
12-25-2009, 06:09 PM
The other pictures showing the stand.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, and thanks for all the great posts.

Ike
12-25-2009, 06:37 PM
This is some late Christmas lithos and stand, daughter and friend. Late due to a back problem, going to need surgery.
Lithos are 4" X 6" back lit with a puck light from Lowes. Used some Hallmark tissue paper between clear sheets to create the reddish glow on the roses.
The lions were carved separate from 1/4" poplar, gold leafed, and then glued on.

Those look great I love the the litho stand well done! I know about back problems too 4 ruptured disc, and a back surgery 2 years ago. Then the surgery made my legs go numb at night . So I don't know if it was worth it or not. Not to mention 2 knee surgeries, shoulder, fluid on the brain and nerve surgery on my left arm!

All that doesn't help the back! But 8-10 10mg vicodin and muscle relaxant I get by! Good luck with the back, I still love the stands great ideal!

Ike

JMD
12-26-2009, 07:49 AM
I think that stand is just great. I have been looking for something to put my lithographs in and I think is will work just wonderful.
Hope you don't mind if I copy it. Could you post a drawing of it and the light behind it?
Thank you,
John:D

jpeter14
12-26-2009, 08:57 AM
This litho stand works for 4" X 6" lithos. I use the Carvewright to cut mine out as I make several of them. If you don't like the woman on the back, just delete it when you open the MPC and/or add you own personal touch.
The light is from Lowe's, it a Utilitech item #240014. It is called a fluorescent puck light.
After cut out, a little sanding on the edges. I used my router to cut the slot for the lithe to slide into on the up-rights and to route the edge on the base. Counter-sink screw holes on bottom.
This stand has the lions carved on the up-rights instead of separate and glued on.
The board size is Min. 27.25" X5.102" X.75" . The uprights will measure 5 7/8 "because my litho blanks are 4" x 5 7/8" due to saw kerk. I think you can extend the up-rights in the MPC if you are careful! Ha!

JMD
12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Thank you very much. As I said I have been looking for something. This will work just great.
Thanks again
John

rwahl
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
I have made 4 now and none are usable. They all look better without a back light than with a back light. Got any idea what I'm doing wrong.

fwharris
01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I have made 4 now and none are usable. They all look better without a back light than with a back light. Got any idea what I'm doing wrong.

What material are you carving them on??

rwahl
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
1/4 inch corion.

Kenm810
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Are you Inverting the graphic in Designer before you load it to be carved
the thicker areas will let less light through and the thinner will let more light through.

Chief
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
jpeter,

Is the light you are using for the puck light battery powered or AC? It looks like there's a line cord going to the back of the stand?

Chief

robbrigg2
01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Now this was a suprise blessing.. thanks for the stand it looks fantastic.!

Chief
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
rwahl,

Have the carved plane face forward. The glassy smooth surface has to be to the rear.

Chief

hess
01-04-2010, 11:46 PM
like Ken says make sure you invert it, if a face is on it esp. If the eyes looks normal in designer, it will be wrong when craved then there are some that just never look right

JDPratt
01-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Great design and well thought out. A lot of thought went into those. I especially like the idea of the colored tissue paper to get the tint rather than different colored Corian. I guess if the sheets are not permanently bonded together you could then change the color periodically. Neat idea I might have to try.

I understand the back thing too. there are days when I can't even get out of bed. 24 years in the Army Infantry really did a number on me. 35 broken bones and 8 surgeries. Vicodin certainly does help, but I hate being dependant on a drug to make it through the day.

cnsranch
01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I really like your design - I've struggled a bit with making enclosed boxes for the lithos, and having the light too bright when done (I use the puck lights as well). Your open design looks as though it allows light to sort of leak away from the litho so that it's not too bright for the pic (and probably makes for a cool night light).

Good job.

rwahl
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I carved on the smooth side.

Do I need to do bit optimization?

Should I carve deeper than 1/8 inch?

fwharris
01-05-2010, 07:22 PM
I carved on the smooth side.

Do I need to do bit optimization?

Should I carve deeper than 1/8 inch?

Check out the tips and tricks newsletter on Litho carvings:

http://carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Jan09.pdf

Yes the bit should be optimized to get the best detail for both wood and litho carving.