PDA

View Full Version : QC stuck

jerrbitt
12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Had not used my machine for a few months and after a short carve, I fought the machine trying to get the bit out. Could not even with the tool get the QC to release. Finally, after some dry lube at the top of the QC, it partially released. In other words I could get the collar to move up but the bit would not release. Left it over night and finally got it to eject.

Tried inserting a different bit and it accepted it and also was able to eject it after using the tool again. More dy lube, inspecting for sawdust accumulation, more oil, and now fro the most part the collar moves up and down -- freely most of the time although at times it sticks. However, the movement is not without "rubbing" noices. -- not a clean movement at all.

Any ideas what causes the rough movement.

I've go another QC but with a broken ear. Can I rebuild the QC with parts from one to another?

Maybe it is time for Mr. Justices' rock chuck although it certainlyh is pricey.

DocWheeler
12-25-2009, 03:10 PM
jerrbitt,

I think that you could swap out parts of your QC, and I sure that you would discover the problem (dust,chips,rust) while it is apart.

fwharris
12-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Jerrbitt,

From my experience dry lube is not the best for the QC. I actually ended up getting a new QC after changing from the 3-1 oil and using the dry lube. I made the switch based on a post. What I found out is the dry lube lead to rust problems along with difficulty in the movement of the QC mechanism and indents in the bit holders.

The replacement QC has only gotten 3-1 oil and has worked like a snap!!

scamp62
12-26-2009, 10:15 PM
ROCK CHUCK !!!!!!!!!.................works !