PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions 2....

Randy in Minn
07-04-2006, 08:41 PM
OK so I have had a chance to run 4 smaller boards through the new machine to help me test the software and see what I can do. Couple of questions for you experienced folks or the LHR folks....

1) the router head in the carvewright gets very warm to the touch. I can release a bit but you dont want to hang on to it very long. Normal?

2) my bit head cocks up to accept a new bit but when it is warm, it will not stay cocked. I have to hold it up while inserting the new bit and then let it release. Maybe needs a drop of lube but where?

3). When routing letters, I really do not see any difference between best and normal carving settings. Since I have limited experience, this may be font related?

4) Lastly does anyone else have trouble keeping the muffler in? Mine keeps blowing out! DOe s not seem importand as I am deaf anyway but...

Over all I am pleased withthe machine and excieted about prospects but am just trying to learn its limitations !!

Thanks for letting me pick your knowledge folks!

MAX COX
07-04-2006, 10:44 PM
MY DUST BAG KEPT BLOWING OFF ALSO. I JUST PUT A LITTLE ELECTRICAL TAPE WHERE IT IS INSERTED AND HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM SINCE.

BobHill
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I use the special Quick Release tool (shovel with a U shape) to remove a bit, and two fingers and a thumb to push the retaining collar up and although it may be warm, I don't have any heat problems for putting in a bit normally. Otherwise, if the head has been working an hour or so, it does tend to get pretty warm, but certainly not dangerously so.

A drop from a cool heat glue gun would also work well with the dust filter, although mine doesn't fall off normally. I also put some CA glue on the crank handle (to the inside metal) and no longer does it flop down. It's tight now and no bother. I understand there is a fix on the new manchines for this (bumps to wedge the crank.

I suspect the font has a lot to do with the way it looks, especially if it's not a TrueType standard.

Bob Hill
Tampa FL
(an ownerof a CW, not maker of CW <g>)

soomro
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I usually have to finigle with the bit holder to lock the bit in or sometimes to take it out even. As for the heat, I think it has to do their revised design or the chuck which is on much tighter tolerance than the original. I had original chuck and didn't get that warm, but LHR replaced the chuck for me, while fixing one of my other boo boos and the new chuck gets warmer. I had much more wobble in the bit in the old chuck than I do now.

Randy in Minn
07-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks folks. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.