PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Christmas presents plan - Flash Card defective 2nd time

Capt Bruce
12-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Just a note to express my disappointment with CarveWright over Flash Cards.
When I set up my new CW it quickly became apparent with confirmation from Forum members that I had a defective card. Sent it back to CW in Texas 12/1 and awaited a replacement so I could proceed with Christmas presents for 12 family members coming to our house for the Holidays.

On 12/10 I called Texas and was told it was waiting to be tested. Finally received the card back on 12/18. Tried a quick test drive and it cut a simple design.

Today 12/24 I finally had time to go carve the 12 presents. Error saying card is unreadable - format it. Back to the PC and formatted and Flashed the card and uploaded the projects again.

Started loading again - Unreadable projects - Format

Three more attempts and I get the message below

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Misc/CardError.jpg

I'll call them again on Monday the 28th but it's going to be tough to be civil this time especially when the shipping invoice labeled this as a re-furbished flash card. Is this what I paid real money for, refurbished and still defective equipment? Would appreciate your thoughts please.

Bruce

AskBud
12-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Just a thought!
Do you have the machine/carver turned OFF, when you place the card in the machine? If not, it may cause the card to create an error.
AskBud

TerryT
12-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry Bruce,
But I know how you feel. This time last year UPS had my parts on the truck but couldn't get down my street to deliver them. Snow ya know. Three feet of it fell overnight. They wouldn't take them off the truck so I could pick them up either. They were delivered about a week late. I paid for overnight delivery. LHR eventually refunded but they had to work it out with UPS first. That took a while.

Digitalwoodshop
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Could be the Card Reader.....

AL

dbfletcher
12-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Just a note to express my disappointment with CarveWright over Flash Cards.
When I set up my new CW it quickly became apparent with confirmation from Forum members that I had a defective card. Sent it back to CW in Texas 12/1 and awaited a replacement so I could proceed with Christmas presents for 12 family members coming to our house for the Holidays.

On 12/10 I called Texas and was told it was waiting to be tested. Finally received the card back on 12/18. Tried a quick test drive and it cut a simple design.

Today 12/24 I finally had time to go carve the 12 presents. Error saying card is unreadable - format it. Back to the PC and formatted and Flashed the card and uploaded the projects again.

Started loading again - Unreadable projects - Format

Three more attempts and I get the message below

I'll call them again on Monday the 28th but it's going to be tough to be civil this time especially when the shipping invoice labeled this as a re-furbished flash card. Is this what I paid real money for, refurbished and still defective equipment? Would appreciate your thoughts please.

Bruce

Do you have another computer you can try it on? Are you using front side usb ports or rear? Occationally I have rouble with usb powered devices using older computer with front side usb ports. Typically switching to rear ones dierctly off teh mother board resolve the issue for me. Do you happen to know if you computer is using USB 2.0 ports or is it still the older spec?

Doug Fletcher

Capt Bruce
12-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you have another computer you can try it on? Are you using front side USB ports or rear? Occasionally I have trouble with USB powered devices using older computer with front side USB ports. Typically switching to rear ones directly off the mother board resolve the issue for me. Do you happen to know if you computer is using USB 2.0 ports or is it still the older spec?

Doug Fletcher

My thanks to everyone who replied, especially DB Fletcher. My first message must be corrected having tried the suggestion from DBF above. On my 2 year old Toshiba Satellite the side mounted USB port must have caused the problem. I stand humbled but really relieved.

I plugged the card reader into a back mounted USB port. Re-did the format and firmware load. Then uploaded the projects again and back to the workshop. One hour and 12 minutes later, a perfect job by the CarveWright with the four foot long batch of four signs rendered in perfect Centerline type.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Misc/Signs1226_50.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Misc/Signs1226_49.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Misc/Signs1226_51.jpg

I could not be more pleased and again my apology for venting about what I thought was a product (flash card) defect. This note about older USB ports should be added in the instructions and I hope as a Newbie I did not miss it elsewhere in the Forum.

Again, my sincere thanks for everyone's help! We wish you All good health and success in the coming New Year. Now to go create more sawdust . .

Bruce :-D

Capt Bruce
01-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I had thought all was well and I could proceed with the second set of four signs. Called up the card again and the CW says project is unreadable. In this case the card had not been removed from the machine even though the machine was turned off to write my last posting and then go back to work for the week.

Shut down, removed the card, back up to PC, formatted the card, uploaded again and software advises me the card is unreadable. Shut down the PC and started fresh.
I was careful to attach the card reader to the back mounted USB port.

No luck with multiple attempts. I decided the laptop might be the cause and this was a good time to have it checked out since the internal fan had died recently. Repair shop confirmed my fear that repairs and a larger harddrive would be more than a new unit. New Toshiba laptop came home with me.

Set it up, loaded up everything fresh and copied over my projects. Re-licensed the software on the new laptop and fired it up. Formatted the card. Uploaded the project and it looked good right up to 99% of writing the project, and then the error code message.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Error1-1-20102-32-11PM.jpg

Checking the card using Flash Manager I get

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/ErrorSummary1-1-20102-32-11PM.jpg

I tried three more times being a stubborn but hopeful kind of guy. No joy.

I'll be getting in touch with Texas again on Monday 1/4/10 to start this sorry exchange process all over again. This time I'm going to ask for exchange of the card reader and the card. Can anyone offer any last thoughts as I proceed. I really appreciate your kind attention and suggestions.
Happy New Year, (grumble grumble biting lip)

Bruce :mad:

Capt Bruce
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Just a brief bump to add I've sent the card reader and memory card back to Texas. Waiting for word that the components have been tested and one or both are discrepent or we need to delve into the CW itself.

We'll update when we know something. Still frustrated and waiting to carve after 3 1/2 months. Thanks,

Capt Bruce :confused:

c6craig
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Bruce,

Sorry to hear you are having such a challenge. Let me know how long you think it will be before LHR gets the reader and card back to you. If it is going to be longer than you need, let me know and I can send you a reader and card to test with. I have an extra from the second machine I bought, so they are brand new. You can just send it back when you get it straightened out...

Craig

Capt Bruce
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Craig,
That is very kind of you indeed. Judging by the last return of a card it may be seven to ten days before they will test and report and then another week to return the old or new parts. I'd like to take advantage of your offer and will very happily reimburse rapid shipping so I'll know if I have a CW problem instead of card/reader faults.

Do you suppose there is any danger of harming your card/reader by doing this test? I just don't have enough experience yet with these units to know. Other thoughts from the more experienced here?

I will PM you Craig and thanks again for the kind offer of help to a fellow user, no matter how this turns out.
Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

c6craig
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Capt. Bruce,

Not to worry, I can't imagine any way you could hurt the reader or card short of inserting or removing the card from the machine while it is powered on. Just remember to make sure the machine is powered down while inserting and removing the card.

I got your PM with your address, I will drop them at UPS tomorrow and you will have them the day after (Thursday). Don't worry about shipping, or sending checks or anything. If it works you are free to use it until LHR gets you some working parts back, so don't just use it to test and drop it right back in the mail.

Hope it works for you, these things are so much fun when they work :cool:

Craig

c6craig
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh the only other thing I can think to add is that the card is firmware loaded to 1.153, so make sure the CW software you are running is the same.

Craig

c6craig
01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Capt. Bruce,

The card reader and card are on the way, UPS next day so you should have it tomorrow. I PM'd you the tracking number. Good luck, I hope that gets you carving. Feel free to use them as long as you need to while you get the parts straightened out with LHR. They are just spares for me, so it's not like I am down or anything.

Good luck,
Craig

Capt Bruce
01-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Craig,

I officially nominate you as Troubleshooting Hero of the week. Your generous spirit typifies those that I've met here on the Forum, but you've really gone the extra mile with this particular kindness of loaning me your second reader and card. Hoping I can re-pay your generosity some way, and I will find that way.

AHHHHHH, I love the smell of sawdust in the morning . . .
So much better than napalm.

Thanks again,

Capt Bruce

NAVY SEABEES, The original Weapons of Mass Construction.

c6craig
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Capt. Bruce,

No thanks neccessary, plenty here would be glad to help. I have received much of it myself and am just glad to be able to pass it on for once.

I was thinking too - I doubt this is an issue because your card (or reader) had problems from the get go, but I would hold off on vacuuming the machine out with the card in until you figure out where the trouble was. It is possible to zap those cards with static electricity while vacuuming. Like I said, i doubt it's your issue, but never can be too careful...

Good luck, let me know how you make out!

Craig

Capt Bruce
01-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Card and Reader received at Noon Craig. Will begin the next step this evening and keep you advised. And good point on the vacuuming and static. Will avoid anything like that with the card in the CW. Again my thanks.

Bruce

Capt Bruce
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Craig and All,

I'm happy to report the CarveWright is creating sawdust even as I type. A 15" x 11" marriage plaque for friends who have been patiently waiting.
. . . . . . . .
Ran two hours and it came out very nicely, so we know now the fault was in either the original card or the reader. Given that a replacement card did not eliminate the original symptoms it looks like the reader may have been at fault.

Still no contact from Texas so your card and reader have proven a real help Craig. Thanks again
Fair winds,
Bruce :D

c6craig
01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Capt. Bruce,

That's fantastic! I was hoping that you would be back up and carving. Like I said, feel free to hold on to the parts until LHR gets you straightened out. I am sure you have plenty of carves to catch up on :)

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the gallery thread!

Craig

Capt Bruce
01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks again Craig and All,

Now that the machine is capable of carving, I'm not there with it. We've been mobilized with FEMA in support of Haiti Relief mission. Someday I'll get back to carving when we've helped the people in desperate need.

All the best,

Capt Bruce

c6craig
01-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks again Craig and All,

Now that the machine is capable of carving, I'm not there with it. We've been mobilized with FEMA in support of Haiti Relief mission. Someday I'll get back to carving when we've helped the people in desperate need.

All the best,

Capt Bruce

Capt. Bruce,

The carves and machine will be there when you get back. My hat's off to you sir, I'm sure you will do much good. Godspeed, return home safe.

Craig

Capt Bruce
01-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Back in town and time for some signs and sawdust after a good shower and some sleep.

Bruce

Capt Bruce
01-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Called Texas and found that after 2 plus weeks the card and reader had not been tested. Roger (always helpful) called back later advising the reader checked out okay but the card (2nd one they sent me) was defective. Both are being shipped back as of today 1/28/10.

That's now four months since the machine was first received. But for Craig's kindness I'd have never carved more than one board. Will post one more time on this when the parts arrive and I run a test. That should be more than enough flogging of this poor horse in one thread. Thanks again to all who have put up with my sad tale as a Newbie.
Fair winds,
Bruce

c6craig
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Welcome back Capt Bruce, glad to see you made it home safely. Hope you can get some rest and carry on carving!

Glad to hear LHR got your problem straightened out, hopefully you will be trouble free from here on out...

Craig

Microear2
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I have the same problem as Capt. Bruce. I have had my CW for a little over a month and have not been able to make even my first cut.

The Card has been unreadable, the reader can't be initialized. I have tried all the USB ports on three computers, I have tried an external Hub, To their credit, CW has sent me a new reader and a new card. I have two of each in front of me as I type this.

My frustration level is very high. I have read all the posts I could find on search, everyone who has had the problem has found a resolution so I am hopeful. Does anyone have a suggestion that might work if I hold my mouth in just the right position when I insert the card?

This is a great forum, Thank you all for your consideration about this problem.

Micro

c6craig
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I have the same problem as Capt. Bruce. I have had my CW for a little over a month and have not been able to make even my first cut.

The Card has been unreadable, the reader can't be initialized. I have tried all the USB ports on three computers, I have tried an external Hub, To their credit, CW has sent me a new reader and a new card. I have two of each in front of me as I type this.

My frustration level is very high. I have read all the posts I could find on search, everyone who has had the problem has found a resolution so I am hopeful. Does anyone have a suggestion that might work if I hold my mouth in just the right position when I insert the card?

Micro

I would identify if it is an issue with the reader or USB to start with. Are you able to read the card at all? From the CW software what do you get if you go to File-Flash Manager?

Also plug another device like a USB mouse into the same port you are trying to confirm the port is working.

Craig

dbfletcher
02-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Micro

As Craig eludes to, you can only access the card and reader from within the cw software. When I first plugged mine in I kinda expected it to show up under "my computer".... it doesnt. I just wanted to make sure you realize that it only works from within cw designer. If you aleady knew this... I didnt want to offend you.. but sometimes it is the little things we get tripped up on.

Thanks,

Doug Fletcher

Capt Bruce
02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Microear2,

Sorry to hear you've run into the card/reader problem as well. Hang in there and insist on support from LHR. Without a functional card and reader you only have an expensive and heavy paperweight in the shop.

Yesterday after 21 days Texas returned what they note as my original reader and a new card (3rd). Quick test late last night showed it would format and load a project without errors so that's genuine progress. If I'm lucky I'll be able to test it tonight in the CW and maybe put this sad tale to rest for now.

Craig, assuming all goes well I'll be returning your components soon with my gratitude Sir. Please wish me luck on step two Folks.

Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

PS: Also now known as Colonel Kinney having been commissioned a Kentucky Colonel by the Governor for leading disaster recovery efforts in the Commonwealth last year.

Eagle Hollow
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Congratulations! Colonel.

Microear2
02-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi, Thank you all for the input, let me try to answer the suggestions given here.

One Card cannot be read by the Machine, the other can and it shows me that the machine itself may be ok.

On the Card reader, the Program gives the "cannot initialize" message and will not go on to allowing it to load a project or format. I have tried all USB ports and even an external hub I bought because someone on here suggested that it worked for them. I know the USB ports on all three computers work fine with all other USB components.

Additionally, when I plug in the reader, the computer loads the reader software successfully and yet when I go to the CW software, and try to upload a project or select flash drive, I get the error message.

Capt, I am glad to hear your problems are resolved, it certainly gives me hope.

One last item that might make a difference..... I am running Windows 7, do you think that this is causing the problem?

Thank you all,

Micro

c6craig
02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Microear2,

Sorry to hear you've run into the card/reader problem as well. Hang in there and insist on support from LHR. Without a functional card and reader you only have an expensive and heavy paperweight in the shop.

Yesterday after 21 days Texas returned what they note as my original reader and a new card (3rd). Quick test late last night showed it would format and load a project without errors so that's genuine progress. If I'm lucky I'll be able to test it tonight in the CW and maybe put this sad tale to rest for now.

Craig, assuming all goes well I'll be returning your components soon with my gratitude Sir. Please wish me luck on step two Folks.

Fair winds,

Capt Bruce

PS: Also now known as Colonel Kinney having been commissioned a Kentucky Colonel by the Governor for leading disaster recovery efforts in the Commonwealth last year.

No rush on the parts, make sure you are all set before you ship them back. Good luck!

Also congrats on your commission Capt Colonel Bruce!! :)

I had to explain the Kentucky Colonels to my wife, she didn't understand what a prestigious honor it was. Thumbs up to you sir!

Craig

c6craig
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi, Thank you all for the input, let me try to answer the suggestions given here.

One Card cannot be read by the Machine, the other can and it shows me that the machine itself may be ok.

On the Card reader, the Program gives the "cannot initialize" message and will not go on to allowing it to load a project or format. I have tried all USB ports and even an external hub I bought because someone on here suggested that it worked for them. I know the USB ports on all three computers work fine with all other USB components.

Additionally, when I plug in the reader, the computer loads the reader software successfully and yet when I go to the CW software, and try to upload a project or select flash drive, I get the error message.

Capt, I am glad to hear your problems are resolved, it certainly gives me hope.

One last item that might make a difference..... I am running Windows 7, do you think that this is causing the problem?

Thank you all,

Micro

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it loads the reader software successfully. To my knowledge the card / reader can only be accessed from within the CW software. maybe it is different on Win 7, I have no experience with that OS as of yet. Have you tried it on a WinXP box to see what you get? If your OS is recognizing it as some kind of hard drive or something that may be the problem..

Craig

Microear2
02-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Hi Craig,

What I mean is that when I plug it in, the computer installs it. It does not install it as a drive but as a "User input device". I only mentioned it because the question was raised about whether or not the USB port was a working.

I did try it on an XP computer and it could not be accessed due to the same error, but I was using the trial version of the software and some parts are not accessable when using it.

Micro

mister_zed
02-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Micro, on my machine (Windows XP) it installs the card ad Human Interface Device. You can see it in the Control Panel -> System -> something like Device Manager.

I believe Win 7 can be a culprit here, as the structure of driver software is different on Win 7 as compared to XP. The trial version of software will not work with the card, regardless what operating system you use (upload to card is simply disabled).

If I were in your situation I would try the following steps:

plug in the reader WITH the card in it to a USB port on a XP-machine
see whether you get a new Human Interface Device (Control Panel -> System -> ...)
if the answer is YES, install the Designer software on the XP-machine and try uploading

I have also noticed the following:
- if I plug in the reader first and insert the card later, I have to do some manual mumbo-jumbo to get the card detected
- if I first plug in the card in the reader and then plug in the reader to USB port, it usually works after a few seconds

Well, that was my 5 cents... Btw, I think it is a good idea to have a separate machine with only the Designer software on it. It's what I do, anyway. The I have lots of other software installed on my "regular" computer (Adobe Photoshop. Corel, Photowise) and access the dedicated machine's disks as network units.

c6craig
02-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Hi Craig,

What I mean is that when I plug it in, the computer installs it. It does not install it as a drive but as a "User input device". I only mentioned it because the question was raised about whether or not the USB port was a working.

I did try it on an XP computer and it could not be accessed due to the same error, but I was using the trial version of the software and some parts are not accessable when using it.

Micro

Not sure, it could be a Windows 7 thing, have you given LHR a call? The other thing you can look for is that when my reader is connected with no card in it there is a green light on top of the reader that is on, do you have any lights on your reader? When I insert a card it flashes red while it initializes and then goes green again.

Craig

mister_zed
02-04-2010, 06:59 AM
My reader always has the green light when it is connected to USB, regardless whether the card can be read or not.

On the other hand, I never get any red blink unless I am currently reading/writing the card.

c6craig
02-04-2010, 07:21 AM
My reader always has the green light when it is connected to USB, regardless whether the card can be read or not.

On the other hand, I never get any red blink unless I am currently reading/writing the card.

I'm just giving an example, if he had NO lights on for example that would tell him he isnt even getting to the card...

Craig

Microear2
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
HI Mister Zed and Craig,

I do get the Green light on the reader and the notation that the Human interface device is being loaded and then that it is ready to use.

I tried with XP, I got the exact same indications as with Windows 7.

I put one of the cards in the Machine and measured a board so I think the actual machine may work fine if I can get a project loaded.

I have been in contact with LHR and they have sent me a new card and the second time, a new reader. The only difference is that the second card when plugged into the Machine allows me to see the menu.

No Joy on the Computer issues.

Thank you both and all the others for your input on this issue.

Capt Bruce
02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Microear2,

For what its worth I'm running Windows Seven and happy to report this evening the CW loaded and completed a 1 Hr and 33 Min carving using the card sent by LHR. That's success one and I'm feeling very positive (photo to follow).

Craig,
Again my thanks for your kind loan. I should have 2-3 projects run before the weekend and if all is okay I'll be shipping your parts back by Monday having proven the warranty components are working well.

All,
Thanks for the kind remarks on my new Kentucky Colonel commission. I'll try to live up to what they expect since I share the honor with many illustrious predecessors. Their website gives the history and a sample of names.

Happy carver at last.

Bruce :D

jamjam
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Hello

I received my machine (refurbished) about a week ago. I'm using Windows 7 and have had no problems. The card works ok, The green led comes on when the USB is pluged in and the red light comes when you load a project. I finished my first project without any problems, except I cut my finger when I put the cutter in. good luck, i think windows 7 is ok.

John

Microear2
02-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if there is anyone in the Central Virginia area that could help me determine if the readers and or memory cards are the problem? Is there a way to determine if there is anyone in my area that uses a CarveWright?

Micro

rncurrie
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM
With my machine a new reader took care of the problem your having. My new card however is still tight going in the reader as well as the machine. I know it isn't the card however because I was told so by many people. (my new third card gos in and out as well as my first I guess the second is just my mind playing games on me) however I love my machine and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Richard

Capt Bruce
02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
The say the proof is in the pudding, or in this case in the piles of sawdust. The final card supplied by LHR seem to have done the trick.

Sign design as planned

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/Recovery.jpg

And the carved sign last night fresh off the CW.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/IMG_0722.jpg

My sincere thanks to one and all who have helped me get to this point and retain my sense of humor along the way. You are really great Forum brothers and sisters and your help is invaluable.
Fair winds for now,

Capt Bruce

Kenm810
02-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Nice Job Capt,

Now you can really start some Projects,
We'll be watching for the flying dust and chips
and many more project Photos. :wink:

CarverJerry
02-05-2010, 12:05 PM
WTG Capt. Bruce. Looks really good. Glad you finally got back up and running, and lets hope you can keep it up and running.