PDA

View Full Version : new chuck

jab73180
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
has anyone heard any news on the new chuck that carve wright will be offering???

jgowrie
12-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd like to know where mentions of a new QC are coming from as this is the second mention I've noticed on the forum, and I might have missed a few while I was busy carving Xmas items. Has there been some reliable 'leaked' info that people have heard which would add validity to a new design forthcoming?

So far, my machine has run without a problem, with the only issue being the "check cut motor" bug. I do notice the vibration though and I am seriously considering upgrading to the ROCK when funds are freed up. BUT, I find it hard to believe that Carvewright would not want to do one of two things: First - buy out the rights to the ROCK since it sounds like it is a much better design than theirs OR come up with a reliable re-designing which would give users the same reliability the ROCK chuck seems to bring.

The first choice I'm sure is highly unlikely.

dbfletcher
12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd like to know where mentions of a new QC are coming from as this is the second mention I've noticed on the forum, and I might have missed a few while I was busy carving Xmas items. Has there been some reliable 'leaked' info that people have heard which would add validity to a new design forthcoming?

So far, my machine has run without a problem, with the only issue being the "check cut motor" bug. I do notice the vibration though and I am seriously considering upgrading to the ROCK when funds are freed up. BUT, I find it hard to believe that Carvewright would not want to do one of two things: First - buy out the rights to the ROCK since it sounds like it is a much better design than theirs OR come up with a reliable re-designing which would give users the same reliability the ROCK chuck seems to bring.

The first choice I'm sure is highly unlikely.

Here is a thread that addresses the new LHR chuck.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=12811&highlight=new+chuck

I think this is great new for everyone that there will be two "upgraded" chucks on the market sometime soon. But in all honesty, I cant imagine what could be improved on RJustices "Rock" design. It is simply a joy to use. Simple, reliable, sturdy, little maitanence, balanced, extremely high quality.... i cant think of anything I'd like to see changed on it.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 10:03 AM
It was announced publicly some time ago that LHR had designed a new, "heavy duty" chuck. By the way, I coined the term "heavy duty", to differentiate it from the standard QC, which I personally do not have any problems with.

It is something that has been in the works for quite awhile...I think over two years or so. Last I heard, a few new prototypes were manufactured and are in the process of going through rather rigorous testing. I am on the list for testing the new chuck when LHR has finished their in-house testing and all safety liabilities have been properly and legally taken care of.

It's not as simple as one might think - it's a process lining up manufacturers, getting the legal stuff taken care of, etc. It is my understanding they are trying to predict every possible scenario that an end-user might put it through...which I took it to mean including some intentional "pilot error" possibilities as part of the testing regimen.

No one has a specific time-frame as far as an official public release date.

Chief
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Doug,

I had missed the original "hint" regarding the NEW chuck by Joe Lovchik. I had to LMAO when he said it would require thousands of hours of testing. I guess that requires thousands of machines to do the testing because it seems fully 50% or more are nothing but a headache. Then again, maybe they're testing on a ShopBot.

Chief

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 12:20 PM
...that requires thousands of machines to do the testing because it seems fully 50% or more are nothing but a headache...
Chief

Of course, this statement is nowhere close to being true, but I'll take it as a friendly joke, as that's how I choose to believe it was intended. ;)

Chief
12-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Mike,

It was a bit of tongue in cheek. It's just that it's frustrating not being able to use my CC. I've had it for 3 months with 2 carvings. The rest of the time it's been spent troubleshooting with LHR, waiting for parts, testing and finding another problem and then back on the phone with the techs. I finally gave up and gave it back to Sears to fix. I was hoping to get it back by Christmas but I guess that was too optimistic. I'll settle for New Year's Day.

I spend the rest of my time responding to email, doing genealogical research and reading every single post to this forum.
I'd like to throw in some carving time because I've gotten lots of ideas from a bunch of you........... too many names to list.

I also will add that I have to thank 2 members of this list for their kindness. One carved 2 lithophanes for me and the other offered to do a carving shortly thereafter. Since I didn't ask their permission, I won't name them but I will regard them highly as damn good friends to have.

Chief

liquidguitars
12-24-2009, 12:34 PM
MT,
Did LHR say if the new chuck will have stops or adapters for checking the hight of the bits? ;)

LG

It was announced publicly some time ago that LHR had designed a new, "heavy duty" chuck. By the way, I coined the term "heavy duty", to differentiate it from the standard QC, which I personally do not have any problems with.

It is something that has been in the works for quite awhile...I think over two years or so. Last I heard, a few new prototypes were manufactured and are in the process of going through rather rigorous testing. I am on the list for testing the new chuck when LHR has finished their in-house testing and all safety liabilities have been properly and legally taken care of.

It's not as simple as one might think - it's a process lining up manufacturers, getting the legal stuff taken care of, etc. It is my understanding they are trying to predict every possible scenario that an end-user might put it through...which I took it to mean including some intentional "pilot error" possibilities as part of the testing regimen.

No one has a specific time-frame as far as an official public release date.

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Mike,

It was a bit of tongue in cheek. It's just that it's frustrating not being able to use my CC. I've had it for 3 months with 2 carvings. The rest of the time it's been spent troubleshooting with LHR, waiting for parts, testing and finding another problem and then back on the phone with the techs. I finally gave up and gave it back to Sears to fix. I was hoping to get it back by Christmas but I guess that was too optimistic. I'll settle for New Year's Day.

I spend the rest of my time responding to email, doing genealogical research and reading every single post to this forum.
I'd like to throw in some carving time because I've gotten lots of ideas from a bunch of you........... too many names to list.

I also will add that I have to thank 2 members of this list for their kindness. One carved 2 lithophanes for me and the other offered to do a carving shortly thereafter. Since I didn't ask their permission, I won't name them but I will regard them highly as damn good friends to have.

Chief

Hello,

Sorry to hear your machine is down! That is frustrating, I'm sure. I hope you can get caught up when the machine is returned. Lots of great folks around here - everyone is so eager to help. I've had tons of help from many, many members myself and words cannot express how much that has meant to me. One thing's for sure - we have some of the most caring and helpful forum members anywhere.

mtylerfl
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
MT,
Did LHR say if the new chuck will have stops or adapters for checking the hight of the bits? ;)

LG

Hi LG,

I asked Joe about that and he said yes, there will be some type of bit stop setup, although he did not elaborate on the form it will take.